IGNORED

Moving onto Blades

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my question, is there such a thing as a Forgiving blade iron?

Not really. They are better than they were 20 years ago, but if you hit it off-center, you will know.

Which brand of blades is the most forgiving?

I doubt one exists. I will echo the thoughts of others on a blended set. I also play the Titleist ZB and have found them to be great. You could also look into the players cavity backs. They will have the look and feel of a muscle back, but with a little forgiveness. There isn't a ton of difference in the Titleist 710 MB and CB for example. And the CB might be a touch more forgiving on off center hits.

My personal feeling is to do what you want. Why do so many people care what someone else is playing? If you want blades, get them. It won't matter too much. Your scores might suffer, they might not. If you don't hit them in the center you will be 15 yards short instead of 5, big deal. Personally, I don't want a club to mask bad contact. I want to know that the swing didn't produce the result I wanted. Hitting any club is about swing and shaft, not the club. I know plenty of people who rarely mishit a ball, but their swing is so bad the ball doesn't go where it needs to anyway. No amount of SGI club will help them.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones"

This is my favorite line of that article, and my new motto.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Thanks to all who have responded, keep the comments coming. Good info!!! I think what I'll do is buy an older set of blades and give them a try.

G10 9.0* fujikura stiff
Speedline 3 wood 13*
A4 OS 19* hybrid
S2 with Project X 5.5 steel shafts
CG 10 54* Studio Style 1.5

Thanks to all who have responded, keep the comments coming. Good info!!! I think what I'll do is buy an older set of blades and give them a try.

Im waiting for my titleist ap2s to come in the mail. You should check those out, great irons but are a little pricey. They arent a straight blade either.

As a 12 handicap, the blade is the last thing you want. A lot of higher handicaps have this ego trip they get on, whether conscious or not, where their brain begins to tell them, "sure, I can't hardly break 90 with these here ultra forgiving clubs, but maybe if I switched to some clubs that were much harder to hit, I'd do better!"

Finally someone with some sense. I play Nike Slingshot OSS Cavity back irons. Click on the link in my signature to take a look at them. They are about the farthest you can go into the realm of cavity back irons before you start heading into the world of hybrid-irons. I use them because I'm not comfortable with my ball striking just yet to move on down to blades. And I don't have enough money to get half-cavity irons (I get a rumblin in my pants and I do the I-can't-control-my-wallet dance when I see the Cleveland CG7 irons). There are some people though, that do play off a 12 handicap or so and have the ball striking to hit the blades. If you can hit a blade on or right near the center of the clubface 8/10 times, then I say go for them. If not, then obviously what you want is to get cavity, or half-cavity irons that will give you the forgiveness you need to keep lowering your scores.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I play blades, not sure why... except I grew up playing blades and I'm used to how they feel.

I had a stint where I played cavity backs, and I'll make a recommendation for you.

Get Cobra Pro CB irons. They are sweet and what you are looking for. Great feel w/forgiveness.

I will try and answer your original question. Only you can decide what is best for you but if you are looking for forgiveness, a Muscle Back (MB) blade is not the best option. There are forged cavity backs that offer some Game Improvement (GI), but they are not blades.

I don't think there is a forgiving MB blade, that's the point. They are not there to offer forgiveness. Once you know how to flight and work the ball, they are the best tool for the job. I'm not saying you can't do that with GI clubs, it's just easier with blades. I'm not saying a 24 handicapper can't hit blades, they just aren't forgiving. I'm pretty sure most high handicappers could benefit from some forgiveness in their clubs.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I'm not sure if there is another issue that continues to come up that is so polarizing. Get 'em, don't get 'em. I'm definitely in the camp of "get what you want". Its a freaking game. To some of us its not and if its less "game" and more "golf makes me crazy and I'm obsessed with lowering my scores" then super GI irons are for you. BUT, God bless you if you can go out, shoot whatever score you put on the card and love all of your clubs. I think this is what we all strive for.

So, here is my recommendation. Maltby has made what you're looking for... Its not magically forgiving but probably on the highest end of playability. Also, with the price so low, you can put together a set for a song, set up to a thin top line and LOVE your flush shots. And if you're looking for Project X Flighted 5.0 shafts for the heads, let me know.

http://golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MA0062

What's in the bag...

Driver --- G15 9* Aldila Serrano
3 Wood - Sumo2 15* Aldila NV
5 Wood - Versus 19* Mitsubishi Bassara 83Irons ---- X-Forged 4 - PWWedges - Vokey S.M. 52.08, 56.08 & 60.08Putter --- Futura PhantomBall ------ Tour i(s)

I'm not sure if there is another issue that continues to come up that is so polarizing. Get 'em, don't get 'em.

If you truly know what you want, get them. The OP doesn't seem to know what he wants - yet.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I would recommed you try the Mizuno MP33 from PW - 7 iron and play other matching cavity style irons with hybrids. The feel of the mp33 are simply amazing. I have played these blades for about 4 years and the feedback will help guide you to become a better ball striker and lower your handicap in my opinion and experience playing these clubs.

You can pick these iron set up for about $250 or less on ebay. I played the Dynamic Gold R300 shafts. I switch from MP30 irons to the MP33 and have not looked back since. Occasionally, I will hit other irons at the golf store and nothing matches up to the feel and results than the mp33s for me.

My lowest rounds have been -3, -1,-1 and par for 18 holes and the lowest round since I switched to these irons. I would recommend trying them out on the course and see for yourself.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Look for some MacGregor V-Foil 1025m irons.

Maybe the most un-blade club made to "look" blade like, long heel/toe length, big bar at the bottom of the club to help get the ball in the air, moderate hosel length, moderate offset, lots of sole camber, etc. In short basically it's a game improvement iron in a different looking package. They play like ... well the word shovel comes to mind

I can't help but think that there are better game improvement/players clubs (or whatever you want to label them) but currently I don't have any experience playing any of them. But if you are mainly interested in the way a club looks the 1025m might be a good option.

Mike

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

These threads always end up with the same silly debate. "No one should ever play blades." "I play better with blades." "No you don't." "Yes I do." "Your mother is a muscleback." etc. It's all silly, the only question is whether you can hit the irons.

So go to your golf shop or pro shop. Dig through the junk club barrel until you find a 6, 7, 8, or 9 iron blade in decent shape. Try it out and see if you hit it well or not. Despite the certainty with which some factions here claim that blades are always the wrong choice, I don't believe this is universally the case. If you hit it well, then look into finding a set. If you don't hit it well, then you've got your answer.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I would recommed you try the Mizuno MP33 from PW - 7 iron and play other matching cavity style irons with hybrids. The feel of the mp33 are simply amazing. I have played these blades for about 4 years and the feedback will help guide you to become a better ball striker and lower your handicap in my opinion and experience playing these clubs.

If you ever wanted to try a set of blades, you could not go wrong with these... I wish they still made them.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

If you ever wanted to try a set of blades, you could not go wrong with these... I wish they still made them.

Ebay for mp33 or even mp100 the anniversary irons

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=mp33&_rdc=1

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Ebay for mp33 or even mp100 the anniversary irons

wow... nice!!! I didn't even know about those. Problem is, they're not for people like me... I'd actually play them

Cheers, Allan

the new titleist 710 CB or MB are great looking and feeling irons that i would recommend. I am considering the MB's. There are also some really nice Mizuno 67 and 68 that have a nice feel and look great. good luck. And yes you will have no issues playing blades, its all about your swing. Whether you miss hit a cavity back iron or a blade your still gonna miss the green. Just play what you like and build your confidence. I know i wouldnt play a club a hated to look down at.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

You'd think.

I have that link saved in my favorites, and it usually comes up in these discussions. Good stuff.

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!