IGNORED

LPGA Player Erica Blasberg Found Dead at 25

atrapasuenos
Note: This thread is 4875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To be honest, I don't follow the LPGA but this morning when thumbing through my current issue of Golf Digest I noticed she was the major feature in an ad, so she was definitely an up-and-comer. Condolences to her family and friends.

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really sad to hear about her. She has been my screensaver for my computer for a while now. I must admit that the picture of her i have been using is not the one in the story. It is smoking hot. I feel bad for her family.
Driver: Cobra ZL 3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher War Club: Burner Titanium Raylor 21degree Hybrid: Bobby Jones 24 4-PW: Ping i3's Wedges:Mizuno MP T-10 White Satin 52, 56, 60 Putter: 15 year old Odyssey Rossi Blade. Ball: Bridgestone e5 Swing Oil: Grey Goose, always in the bag.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/12/sp...lf/12lpga.html

From the article:

"Cho’s caddie, Missy Pederson, was supposed to carry Blasberg’s bag on Monday. She said she retrieved a text message from Blasberg on Sunday morning saying that she was not coming.

The text was sent in the middle of the night, which worried Pederson, who sent Blasberg a text message saying she hoped everything was O.K. Pederson never received a reply."

Terrible News. R.I.P Erica.

Grom Stand Bag
2009 Burner Driver 10.5*
2009 Burner Fairway Wood 15*
A7 3H, 4H 5-PW
Affinity 56* SW CG15 60* White Hot XG 330 Mallet Putter Z Star Yellow Balls

Here are Erica Blasberg's final Twitter entries, if anyone's interested. She apparently closed her account in early December but this site maintains them. Feisty, enthusiastic and opinionated are words that come to mind. Also several references to alcohol, specifically wine and vodka:

http://tweetletes.com/profile/EricaBlasberg

A few lines jump out as sadly ironic, given current circumstance

Bad deal!!!! Rest in peace young lady!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Terrible shame at that age, RIP.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Here's a video of Erica's father, speaking to a Las Vegas TV station at length about Erica's death. It's very much in line with his printed quotes, unemotional.

But there is a mention of no obvious trauma to the body, which apparently squashes some rumors from Monday night.

The video is at top right of the link. It needs to be clicked to play:

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12461129

So, it's kinda looking like there were non-economic problems? Hard to get through college or even high school without becoming an alcoholic, even for athletes.

And some golfers played pretty well as alcoholics. Trevino could close the bars, take a bottle back to his room, and still play the next day. Lot of others over the years. Sneed claimed he was one of the few on the old tour who didn't drink. Hogan definitely became an alcoholic, but that was in his later years, and the pain may have had something to do with it. Is Daly the only one who publicly fell apart during a tournament? Gosh, I remember him being led off the course, shaking.

As for house prices in Henderson, I imagine a $270k house sold for $400k four years ago and is actually worth about $150k. Sure Nevada realtors will disagree.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I tried to enter to the site

www.ericablasberg.com and it's offline, instead there is a message:
Out of respect for the Blasberg family and due to the overwhelming inquiries relating to Erica's untimely and tragic death, EricaBlasberg.com is currently offline until further notice.

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

There's a lengthy article in the Los Angeles Times, with some new quotes from Erica's father. This one stood out to me:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may...sberg-20100516

"None of it makes sense," Mel Blasberg said. "There were no prescription drugs there. She might have drunk, but there was nothing to suggest that a 25-year-old in perfect shape should have died."

• 3 months later...
I can't imagine putting a plastic bag over my head. If I wanted to kill myself, I would simply take a ton of pills. She must have been really depressed.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I can't imagine putting a plastic bag over my head. If I wanted to kill myself, I would simply take a ton of pills. She must have been really depressed.

Is there another article you're referring to about the plastic bag?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

TMZ is reporting that she was found with a plastic bag over her head.....
Driver: DIABLO EDGE
Hybrid: 5DX
Irons: X-22 Irons 4-PW
Wedge: X-22 51* AW, CG15 54*/58*
Putter: Method 001Ball: Penta TP

According to sources in a CBS report, a plastic garbage bag was found near her body. I'm not aware of any sources that said she used said bag to asphyxiate herself. I've been involved in my fair share of coroner's calls and death investigations over the years and while that manner of suicide is not unheard of, it's extremely uncommon. Considering that garbage bags were seized from Dr. Hess's home pursuant to a search warrant, I'm not buying the suicide conclusion.

My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

Note: This thread is 4875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!