IGNORED

Tony Romo - Did He Make the Right Choice?

colin007
Note: This thread is 5093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Did he make the right choice?

• Yes, he should have gone to practice
    • No, he should have played golf

Last time I checked, Romo is a pro football player, not a pro golfer; so yes, he did make the right choice.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I agree 100%. He has to show them that he is fully dedicated to the team. Plus, Jerry Jones can pull teh plug on Romo in a heartbeat. Too much money and risk by missing something that is voluntarly manditory lol

Can't agree on this one. 1) Jerry's been looking for a QB for 10 years, do you honestly think he's pulling the plug on Romo? 2) Common sense says he's more likely to get hurt during a "voluntary" workout than a competitive round of golf.

I'm sort of guessing you don't pull down ~8-10million a year either? You think expectations may be a little different for a guy making that kind of money?

Really I have often put in extra unpaid time, small bits at a time, but for his kind of salary there are greater expectations and responsbility, besides he was a very long shot to qualify at best. If he had won a US Am or something I might feel differently, then the club could use it as marketing his image or something and justify it, heck they would probably even reschedule the camp if it benefited the club. They do have to many of these off season mini camps, I bet it is an issue in the next bargaining agreement.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

as a fan of golf i am sad to see that tony didn't have the opportunity to prove himself on the links in pro competition, but as a die hard dallas cowboy fan since i was a small child, it's reassuring that he put his priorities to winning an nfl championship above all else. one would have never seen gretzky or jordan or smoltz, who really, really good golfers, miss any sort of practice to qualify for a golf event.

Since he got to stage 2 of qualifying, I would've given him a sponsor's exemption. Hear me out on this.......getting past stage 1 shows he has some recognizable skill (unlike a certain best player to ever catch a football). Also, being the most popular athlete in the region would help visibility, especially since the Nelson can barely get a top 20 golfer in the OWGR to play (the 2 that are in the top 20 live here). Lastly, all is positive, no Galloway or Hitzges busting arteries over Romo's lack of dedication and good pub for the Salesmanship Club.

After all the flack he took a couple of years ago for hanging out in Mexico with Jessica Simpson while the Cowboys were still alive in the playoffs, he knew better than to push his luck with the fans and media.

Either way, both the Cowboys and Romo suck.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Romo didnt really have a choice. He would have gotten lit up by the sports media for skipping the practice. Those voluntary practices in the NFL arent really voluntary. You're expected to be there.

+1. I agree 100%.

G10 9.0* fujikura stiff
Speedline 3 wood 13*
A4 OS 19* hybrid
S2 with Project X 5.5 steel shafts
CG 10 54* Studio Style 1.5

After all the flack he took a couple of years ago for hanging out in Mexico with Jessica Simpson while the Cowboys were still alive in the playoffs, he knew better than to push his luck with the fans and media.

watch it son, them's fightin' words here in texas.

Ha, yeah I wouldn't say it in a bar down there :P I'm a long-time Cowboys hater from the 90's when they were everybody's favorite bandwagon team. Didn't help anything that my cousin and my best friend were both huge Cowboys fans and I got to hear about how great they were all the time - or that I rooted for the 49er's (bandwagon team from the 80's lol). I don't hold the same venom for them anymore...but I do think Romo is a goober.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

moeny etc has been mentioned. But let's not forget how many years can one play pro football, much less on a playoff caliber team who is hungry for a Super Bowl. Gotta make the most of it while he can.

Tony Romo gets paid very well to play football, not golf. I know the workout was voluntary, but as QB he's supposed to be a leader on that team. He can play golf on his own time.

+2. He should work more at trying to be a better QB and worry less about golf.

wow, i am actually surprised by the poll results. i really dont care one way or the other in this matter, i was kind of playing devils advocate, but i thought there would be much more support on a golf forum for him playing golf instead of going to practice.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I almost think the cowboys shouldve told him to go to the qualifying. The tourney is in Dallas and many fans wouldve enjoyed seeing him play. For the cowboys they are OTA's which are voluntarily and also he wouldve only missed one day. Im sure through the process some of the guys will get sick and miss one or two days. If it was main training camp the team must come first but its may and its OTA's.

In saying that if he keeps up his play with golf, when he retires from the NFL he will be able to play many pga events. The beauty of golf is you can play the game well for a long time if you put in the time
...Practice Can Never Make Perfect... Practice Makes Improvement...
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

I'm a little torn. I love golf more than football, and I like Tony Romo. But I don't like the Cowboys.

But, in the end, he's the team's on-field leader for offense, and he should be leading his men. It's too bad they didn't have another half dozen qualifier-attempters, to allow him an afternoon tee time.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Romo would much rather be a pro golfer.....he is probably debating hanging up the cleats. He probably despises Jerry Jones and is sick of playing with a team that is 1/4 filled with thugs.

He's rich...... and I bet I am not far off the mark.

Pro Football sucks...what a glorified circle jerk.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Romo would much rather be a pro golfer.....he is probably debating hanging up the cleats. He probably despises Jerry Jones and is sick of playing with a team that is 1/4 filled with thugs.

Um......yeah, I'm not a Cowboy fan, but Jerry's purged the team of most of the "thugs" in the past year or so.

Given that 6 under wouldn't have been good enough, I'd say he made the right decision - and made himself look good at the same time.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 5093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!