IGNORED

Spikes; Soft or Metal?

Note: This thread is 5091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What do you wear. Soft or Metal?

• Soft Spikes
    • Metal Spikes

Rickie Fowler wears metal in his Pumas. I heard them at Transitions and Sawgrass. It kinda of blew my mind at first because I am so used to hearing that noise after football practice, not a golf course.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Metal spikes will be allowed this summer in all three of the remaining majors as they were at the Masters and every PGA stop this year. Phil Mickelson has always worn metal and I'm sure he will continue to do so.

Which has little bearing on this debate. The pros playing a course 4 days out of a year don't do enough damage to measure. It takes day after day of such abuse for it to show. That is why they get away with it. Many pros wear soft spikes anyway, despite the fact that they aren't required to. Steel spikes don't grip any better than soft spikes do... I used steel spikes back before they were banned, and I'm no more likely to slip now that I was then.

I really don't see why you are so adamantly defending a losing cause.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Which has little bearing on this debate. The pros playing a course 4 days out of a year don't do enough damage to measure. It takes day after day of such abuse for it to show. That is why they get away with it. Many pros wear soft spikes anyway, despite the fact that they aren't required to. Steel spikes don't grip any better than soft spikes do... I used steel spikes back before they were banned, and I'm no more likely to slip now that I was then.

People are allowed to voice their opinions even if they're misguided. BTW - did you check out his spikes image (thumbnail)? You could probably walk up a wall with those things.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I learned the game in the metal spike days, or at least the tail end of them. I can't say they're that much better, at least the ones I've used. They are hard as hell to walk with on concrete too.

I think every course around here only allows soft spikes, not sure why anyone would even want to wear metal spikes, I doubt they would perform better and would be much harder on greens. Ive never used metal spikes, just now started wearing golf shoes but i seem to get excellent footing with the soft spikes.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

All the courses around here dont allow metal spikes, so all Ive ever used are soft spikes.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Metal spikes will be allowed this summer in all three of the remaining majors as they were at the Masters and every PGA stop this year. Phil Mickelson has always worn metal and I'm sure he will continue to do so.

Have you seen what the PGA TOUR pros do to wooden bridges at the courses they play? Like swiss cheese time a million. The place that I saw the bridge was at TPC Boston, where the Deutsche Bank is played, and that course is very new. And that only 150ish people for 2 days and then under 100 for 2 more days, minus the PGA TOUR pros who use soft spikes. And it's only for 4 days. That is NOT good for the greens. I mean, why else was Tiger's putt on the 72nd hole at the 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines so bumpy?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I thank everyone for sharing their thoughts on this topic. Like normal, a few of you found it hard to address the topic without making it personal but that is human nature in todays internet world. I have no problem whats so ever not wearing steel anywhere but at home but for now I will continue to wear them at my home course. I beleive that golf carts have done far more damage to the courses than spikes could ever do.

Ive never even seen a golf shoe that has metal spikes so i guess ignorance is bliss on my part. The plastic ones seem to work just fine.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

. I beleive that golf carts have done far more damage to the courses than spikes could ever do.

I agree with that. If anything should be banned from the game it should be golf carts..

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I don't know of a place where I can get metal spikes so I'll keep on playing plastic ones. Plus, the greens at my course don't need any spike marks, there's enough pitchmarks from people who "forget" to fix theirs.

I think that the poll pretty much says all that needs to be said.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

One thing I know soft spikes they are better for is the club house and other parts of the property.

On my home course you can still see the damage to concrete steps from the metal spike era.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

I voted wrong, I wear soft spikes, not metal as I voted in the poll... sorry about that.

I learned in metal spikes, and gave them up as they started getting banned. I think given a choice, I still prefer to wear metal spikes, but those days are long gone.

As for the damage to clubhouse and other non-course related areas, soft spikes have really come up big.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I think it's been 10 years since I've worn spikes but I remember them well. I especially remember how if you slid your foot on a green how it left the trenches. Kind of like you're skidding.

One thing I really like about soft spikes is walking is a lot easier. Especially if you're on a cart path.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Interesting and funny story here.

Just yesterday at my local course a guy in front of me at the Pro Shop had metal spikes on his shoes. (Just a quick note, the floor in the Pro shop is hardwood.) As soon as the guy stepped off the entrance mat and stared to walk on the hardwood, he scraped the entire floor like a rasp. The Marshall inside the Pro Shop just gave him a look and the guy immediately said he'd switch back to his runners before he hit the course.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

I beleive that golf carts have done far more damage to the courses than spikes could ever do.

That I will agree with, but that's mostly for my overall dislike of carts, rather for any reasons about spikes.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 5091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!