IGNORED

Phil's walk through the woods

treebound
Note: This thread is 5064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I was watching some of the tournament this weekend off and on. On one hole Phil played a provisional ball, then I think he played the original ball and took the provisional out of play, next time I sat down he was down deep in the woods near a creek, then was shown playing off a paved cart path. Looked like the way I've played a few holes -- all over the place.

Anyway, is there an overview of that hole he went wild on and that maybe also shows the path he took to get to the green? I just think it would be interesting to see.

Thanks for any links or leads.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

haha, i saw this yesterday too. I was hoping they would show a layout of the hole and where phil was hitting it, but they didn't. Also the announcers seemed to be joking about it long after the hole was done.

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

This video shows his shot off the cart path toward the green: http://i.cdn.turner.com/pgatour/.ele...kelson.pgatour

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Even Jack was laughing at Phil's antics yesterday.

I would love to be inside Phil's head during one of those chaotic rounds.

Love him or hate him......... he gives the crowd their moneys worth.

Yeah I "think" he dropped on the other side of the lateral hazard. Which put him on the cart path after he placed it there. He decided to play from the cart path instead of taking relief. Bummer he 3 putted on it.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

At the end of the round, the commentators were joking with Nicklaus that Mickelson "got every penny's worth from his green fee" by visiting every square inch of the course. Nicklaus couldn't help but chuckle and agree.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I was at the memorial all week. I got to see Mickelson actually hit that shot. I was following tiger on 17, and then i was being asked to move farther into the fairway. I turn around and phil is bouncing a ball on the cart path finding a spot to drop the golf ball. He was teeing off on 15 and had his left miss and decided to go to the other side of the woods because he thought he had a better chance. After he got the spot and balanced the ball he smacked it. It went quite a ways, it didn't hook enough but it had the distance, it was pretty cool watching him hit it.

DRIVER : VR Tour 9.5 Degree with Diamana Whiteboard Shaft
3 WOOD : SQ 15 Degree with Diamana Blueboard SHaft
5 WOOD : SQ 19 Degree Diamana Blueboard Shaft
IRONS : Victory Red TW Blades 3-PW
S. WEDGE : Victory Red 56 DegreeL. WEDGE : Victory Red 60 DegreePUTTER : Anser IIBALL : ONE TOUR

Hi,

OK... I think I have it. A little sleuthing on Google finds that the Muirfield Village Golf Course is located at

5750 Memorial Drive, Dublin, Ohio 43017 . According to Wikipedia , there are 2 golf courses there...
Two golf courses are located within Muirfield Village: The Country Club at Muirfield, which also has tennis and swimming, and Muirfield Village Golf Club, where the Memorial Tournament is held annually.
Great... now just follow the map coordinates on the Wikipedia page and you can go to a Google Map of the course (switch it to Satellite View) . From this site, we can get the scorecard , so we know that 15 is a par 5, 16 is a long par 3. I also found this site, that has pictures of the golf course layout , and figured out where 18 is located. Now... we know that this occurred on the 15th hole yesterday, he hit it WAAAAYYYY left, into a wooded area and since he got to drop on the other side of the hazard, there had to be another hole on that side of the hazard. We also know from an article, that they said that Tiger was on 17 tee, I think, when Phil was hitting from the cart path. The only area on that map that matches all that criteria is this section... Wow... what a shot, I wish he didn't 3-putt the stupid thing, though!!!

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

he hit that shot off the cart path very solid it seemed. judging by his other choices of lies i think he made a good choice. pretty much perfect lie on the path.

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

OK... I think I have it. A little sleuthing on Google finds that the Muirfield Village Golf Course is located at

Nice work. If you look at the video I posted above, in the last few seconds the overhead view gives a similar, but less clear, visual of the layout. This picture really clarifies it.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

That is a great work!

So lefty hit a big old banana (slice) into the woods... Hmmm.... I don't think he or Tiger is ready to win the U.S. Open. Not the way they are hitting their driver.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was finally able to log in with the computer to see the links and vids and the nice work with the pic overview, nice work.

What I think this shows to us mere normal and high handicappers is to never give up no matter what predicament(sp) we find ourselves in.

Thanks for the detective work.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Note: This thread is 5064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!