IGNORED

Gimme Putts (God I hate them!)

martytilma
Note: This thread is 3189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really can't understand the mentality of the guy in the thread kick-off... how can you care so much that you get upset by not being given a putt, but not enough about the competition to actually play it?

My original point exactly!! He was mad at me for not giving him the putt, yet I putted all of mine in all night. Mystery to me!!

The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

I've learned on this site that really seems to bother people - they need to hear the ball in the cup - like a sense of closure on that hole. I'm much more aware of the dangers of knocking a tap in back to the player - don't want any hard feelings.

Yes, definitely a sort of sense of closure. I don't harbor any hard feelings toward anyone who does that - the gentleman I played with was a delight to talk to and was far better than I was - I just have a need to finish what I started. You move the ball a few hundred yards down a grassy hillside with the goal of getting it into a small hole by whacking the ball only a handful of times. Once I've worked to get it 99.99% of the way there, I want to finish it.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

i dont mind it if its an actual gimmie for the person
i prefer to put out because i consider every round a practice round
2 -3footers arent gimmies for everyone

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

The only gimmes that I give or take better be within 6 inches of the cup....and even then I tap em in 99% of the time. Pros can miss 3 foot putts (tiger at this years masters missing a 3 footer? sound familiar) All it takes to miss one of those little guys is a lack of concentration and focus. Most amatuer golfers have plenty of distractions especially when playing with friends. My brother and I play 2-3 times a week and putt essentially everything out. The only time that we will take gimmes is if one of us having a bad hole chips or putts it close to within 6 inches or so and the other one us has already finished out and is standing there with the flag stick. (speed up play scenario)

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

Yup, got a buddy who thinks gimmies go out to 4 feet.

Good gosh, I could probably shoot an 81 if I took all 4' putts as gimmies. My worst game shows up after I get on the green. I call it my "model A" golfing.... putt, putt, putt, putt.....

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

My worst game shows up after I get on the green. I call it my "model A" golfing.... putt, putt, putt, putt.....

LOL...I have never heard that before. Well done.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Good gosh, I could probably shoot an 81 if I took all 4' putts as gimmies. My worst game shows up after I get on the green. I call it my "model A" golfing.... putt, putt, putt, putt.....

Almost pizzed myself reading that.... LMAO. Thats my game as well. Im a pretty good player tee to green..... but the worst putter on this forum.

Just play against the course. Don't worry about the other stuff. It will just make you have less fun. If you aren't having fun out on the course, there really isn't any point to golf.

"I play in the low 80's. If it is an hotter than that, I don't play"

Joe E. Lewis

clam fist, I keep telling myself that. I just played a round at Eagle's Landing last week. Nice course!

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

I play in a 20-man league. In our tournament, we putt out or get disqualified. Putting out is always a hot issue because of slow play. We even line up for a 2 footer. For example, we were playing yesterday and 2 groups including 4 ladies just passed us through for slow play.

Even with the slow play, putting out is required because sometimes we miss a 2 footer. I missed one 6 weeks ago. I remember a buddy missing a 1 footer.

When I watch golf on TV, I now understand how hard those 3 footers can become.

My Clubs
Driver - Nike SUMO 13* R flex
Wood - Cobra 5 wood 18* R flex
3-PW hybrids/irons - Mizuno MX-950 R flex
Wedge - Mizuno MX-950 51* Wedge - Cleveland CG14 56* 14*Putter - RifeBall - Taylormade TP LDP RED

I play in a 20-man league. In our tournament, we putt out or get disqualified. Putting out is always a hot issue because of slow play. We even line up for a 2 footer. For example, we were playing yesterday and 2 groups including 4 ladies just passed us through for slow play.

Slow play is not an issue with our league. We only have 8 golfers in our league and we usually can finish our round between 1.5 to 2 hours. That's what frustrates me about our league not wanting to putt out. I think some of the players want a false confidence of how good they are. Did that make sense?? Anyway, not me! I say putt them out. I'm actually thinking about not playing in the league next year because of how relaxed it is about rules.

clam fist, I keep telling myself that.

They just added 18 more holes. It really is turning out great.

"I play in the low 80's. If it is an hotter than that, I don't play"

Joe E. Lewis

a guy i was playing with last week was really pissing me off, he would pick anything up from within 5 feet without even asking. after about 5 holes of this i decided to take as much time as possible when i was putting and was even plumb bombing from inside a foot, it was quite funny actually

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

a guy i was playing with last week was really pissing me off, he would pick anything up from within 5 feet without even asking. after about 5 holes of this i decided to take as much time as possible when i was putting and was even plumb bombing from inside a foot, it was quite funny actually

Were you guys in a competition or something?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Were you guys in a competition or something?

not quite a competition but we were playing for money so pretty much yes

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

not quite a competition but we were playing for money so pretty much yes

If you were playing for money, how would you not say something after the first instance??

Gimmes are not all bad: They speed play, they eliminate people complaining about missing two-footers, and they relax the atmosphere a bit. In my view if someone wants to artificially depress their handicap by not putting things out more power to them, especially because the retort is simple.

I agree. As long as the game's not for money I don't mind gimmies. The only other time gimmies are not allowed (Whether the game's for money or not) is if the putt is for birdie or par. Just yesterday I missed an 18'' putt for par. My buddies never offered to give it to me and I never asked..............Maybe I should have :)

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!