IGNORED

Your Favorite Driver?

Note: This thread is 3568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe there are two clubs in your bag you need to try several times on different days before making a decision. They are the driver and Putter. I believe these clubs are more "personalized" than any others in the bag. My personal favorite was my Cobra F Speed. But it recently failed, the face weld yield and cracked. It seemed the most forgiving driver I have owned with little or no loss of distance. But again, the driver is a personal choice and I recommend not buying on a single demo or fitting session.

Butch

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My original Callaway Big Bertha has yet again found it's way back into my bag, with a little modding. For some reason, I can hit it almost as far as my FTi, but also more accurately. The stainless 190cc head is definitely not overwhelming to say the least. It has a firm shaft that was tipped about 1-1/4" and had a 1/2" butt extension put in, so it's a little shorter than stock. It's what I am swinging in my first video in the tips/instruction forum. I could care less about how I may have messed up the swing weight, because honestly I couldn't tell the difference. I can't see me ever getting rid of it, it may get put away for periods at a time but it always comes out to see the light.

My original Callaway Big Bertha has yet again found it's way back into my bag, with a little modding. For some reason, I can hit it

190cc?

back in the 60's/70's they played with 190cc driver heads. Couldn't you just shorten the shaft on your 460cc driver?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

190cc?

I guess back in 91' when this club was released, it should have been just called "Bertha" then. I have 2 FTi's, a tour lcg with a standard length x-con6, and a tour non-lcg with a shortened 686 speeder shaft. The old BB still looks more reasuring at address, so most likely it's a mental thing. It's like comfort food for my game I guess. At 11 degrees, maybe it's more like a strong, strong 3? Ha.

I know this will vary because some people remain to their favorite brands regardless of how good the driver is.

Of course I love my R9 SuperTri... I love the look at address, I love the black finish, and love the way it performs. The adjustability is a great feature to have and the thing sounds great on impact. The new Titleist and Cobra drivers look great too... I really like the black and yellow on the Cobra. I haven't hit either of those yet. I did hit the PING G15 a bunch though and really liked it... almost bought it instead of the R9.

In my Org.14 Xtreme Cart Bag
Driver: G15 10.5* TFC 149D Reg Flex
3 Wood: G15
Hybrid: Diablo Edge 3i
Irons: Diablo Edge 52* and 56* Wedges: CG14 Chrome60* Wedge: CG15 ChromePutter: White Ice SabertoothBall: Assorted

190cc?

My 190cc BB Warbird dwarfs my persimmon woods - compared to my biggest headed persimmon driver, 190 cc is huge!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

#1 was a Ping ISI 9 deg, now have a Titleist 975J 8.5 deg pretty inconsistent. Pulled out my old cobra deep face 9 at a tournament and won longest drive last Friday.
I want to try a Titleist 905R, ya I am a few years behind.

driver Titleist 905R
3w Titleist 904F
5w Srixon awd 19
irons 3-pw titleist 962
wedges cleveland 485 56 Accuform gap 52putter scotty cameron platinum Luguna 2

My Nickent 4DX Evolver with shaft du jor.

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

I have a Taylormade R7 425 MWT and I love it. I can hit it long and straight pretty consistently. I can't hit well with any other driver, especially the ones with huge heads. I got a R9 Supertri a week or 2 ago and can't hit it very well. I think I'm gonna stick with my R7...

VDub pride

I currently use an R7 425 TP which I love, and it destroys any of the R9s that have come out.

My favorite driver ever though is the Titleist 983k. Just like all Titleist woods, you have to hit them good, but when you do, there might not be anything longer. It felt amazing too.

I got the TM R9 460 a couple weeks ago to replace my Ping G5, and have seen an immediate improvement. I may be a little bias as I do like TM products, but I never felt confident hitting the G5.

My G5 was a 9.0 and the R9 is a 9.5, but that .5 makes a better ball flight for me.

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I own the Nike SQ 5000 and have hit the SQ 460 and the SQ Dymo, and I love them all. I can't see myself ever getting a non-Nike driver.
Last 5 Rounds: 103 (+38), 124 (+42), 101 (+36), 104 (+39), 109 (+44)

I tried the G15 - 9* yesterday and instantly put it as 14th club in my bag, it isn't as long or as workable as my 909 D2 10.5*, but it is so easy to hit the fairway with !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Im in the same boat as you, and I am liking the new Callaway iQ. And the Nike SQ Dymo.

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

I tried the G15 - 9* yesterday and instantly put it as 14th club in my bag, it isn't as long or as workable as my 909 D2 10.5*, but it is so easy to hit the fairway with !

You might end up with the same problem I'm having with my G10 - with my old Callaway BB, I could watch the ball in flight until it landed out in the grass. With the PING I lose sight of it instantly and just cross my fingers because there's less feedback too.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have always been biased toward TM products, and recently I have purchased the Callaway FT-9 with the new iMix technology. I have read many reviews about hatred toward iMix, but this innovation is flat out solid. I have gained about 20 yards, switching from the 07 TM burner 10.5* to Callaway FT-9 9*, and through the last three rounds I have averaged just over 11 fairways. I went withought the Tour spec because my miss (as for 90% of golfers) is the fade or occasional block to the right. The FT-9 is a little bit muted off the clubface, but if you hit it spot on, its a monster. Your handicap seems to be rather similar to mine, so I hope you hit the FT-9 before you decide on any driver. Thats my two cents. Hope you choose a driver that you have confidence with.

All the best!
Whitey

Whats in my 14 Way Stand Bag?? Just...
taylormade.gif Superfast TP 8.5* Matrix HD6 Stiff
taylormade.gif '07 Burner 5 wood 18* Snr. 50g
titleist.gif 710 AP2 3-PW w/ Dy. Gold S300
taylormade.gif Z TP 52* 8* stock wedgeflexscratch.gif 8620 56* with D/S grindcallaway.gif 2009 Forged X-Tour 60* 10* bounce stock wedgeflexcameron.gif Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5, 32.5inches

Note: This thread is 3568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!