IGNORED

What are the best courses in Michigan.

Note: This thread is 3171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you're around West Michigan there's several nice ones:

1) The Ravines in Saugatuck - A Palmer design, but really expensive.
2) Diamond Springs in Hamilton - Very affordable and more fun than Ravines, IMO.
3) The Meadows in Allendale - Also affordable and well taken care of.

In my Adidas Velocity stand bag:
Redline RPM 430Q 8.5
Insight BUL 3 Wood
idea a2 3 iWood Hybrid
CCi 4-AW Cast Irons Black Max Anser Putter D2 Feel

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I play in SE michigan and I go to Wolf Creek Golf Course outside of Adrian MI

http://www.thegolfcourses.net/golfcourses/MI/1772.htm

Being that I'm REALLY new to the game I'm not able to comment on how challenging it is... as ANY course would be a challenge for me... but the people who work there are really nice and the course is well maintained. Also several of the holes are nestled back in some really nice woods. I also live close to The Legacy:

http://www.legacybyarthurhills.com/main.htm

Haven't played there yet but it looks really nice.

In my bag....

Clubs that have been thrown a lot

Haven't checked out Wolf Creek but will in the future. I've golfed

Legacy a few times, a nice fair course, nothing memorable except for maybe the last hole's long carry over water. Definitely do not play full price, I've found them on one of the teem time discount websites for $25 w/ cart.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Lilac in Newport is a pretty course, I'm just starting to golf so I hacked it up pretty bad, but my Grandpa loves that course, it started his recent string of low 70's scores.

In my Walter Hagen T3 stand bag

Driver- Walter Hagen T3 10.5   3-Wood- Walter Hagen T3   Hybrids- Walter Hagen T3 3i-5i   Irons- Walter Hagen T3 6-PW   Wedge- Walter Hagen T3 56*  Putter- Walter Hagen T3   Ball-   RAW Distance Straight

Lilac in Newport is a pretty course, I'm just starting to golf so I hacked it up pretty bad, but my Grandpa loves that course, it started his recent string of low 70's scores.

ha ha, thats my home course (I have a membership there). Long but with no OB stakes anywhere (there are big hedges) its hard to get into bad trouble.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

In my opinion courses in upstate Michigan are by far some of the best I've played. Tawas City on the shore of Lake Huron has many great courses in the area such as Red Hawk and Tawas Creek. Both nice courses but Tawas Creek is way more affordable and is still pretty nice. The front 9 is like links style and the back more like a treeline.

Whats in my Nike Xtreme Stand Bag:
Driver-Nike SQ SUMO 5000 10.5* w/ SQ Diamana R Flex
Fairway-Nike SQ DYMO 19*w/ UST Wide Body R Flex
Irons- Nike SQ SUMO 4-P w/ True Temper SpeedStep SuperLite R flex
Wedges- Adams Golf Tom Watson Classic Grind 52.08, 56.12, 60.08 w/ Adams Golf TW Wdg FlexPutter-...

hole 4 at Wolf creek kicks my butt every time I play there . I have teed off with everything from a driver to 9 iron and I just cant pull a decent score on that hole

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

• 4 weeks later...
Around the metro area, some courses that are a bit lower in price, but nice tracks: Any of the metro-parks courses (Kensington, Stoney Creek, Huron Meadows, Pierce Lake), Links of Novi, Cattails, Coyote, etc. Gull lake is great too (4 courses very close). Yarrow is also near Gull Lake and is very nice.

http://www.yarrowgolf.com
http://www.gulllakeview.com
http://linksofnovi.com
http://cattailsgolfclub.com

• 2 weeks later...
I've played many great public and resort courses in Michigan over the years. Some favorites are: Forest Dunes, the Fazio and Smith courses at Treetops Resort, High Pointe near Traverse City, Donald Ross Memorial at Boyne Highlands, Forest Akers West, Cedar River at Shanty Creek Resort, Dunmaglas and Belvedere CC near Charlevoix, Thousand Oaks, near GR and a personal favorite, The Gailes Course at Lakewood Shores Resort near Oscoda.

In the Detroit vicinity I like The Majestic, Leslie Park, Pierce Lake, Dunham Hills, Fox Hills, Pheasant Run, my home course which is Farmington Hills GC and two favorites, Timber Trace in Pinckney and a very underrated course in Ypsilanti, Eagle Crest.

Earlier someone asked about the Gull Lake courses which I've played on outings many times. The two right at the resort, the East and West courses have a few nice holes but some really goofy holes as well. The Stonehedge N and S courses are much nicer as is Bedford Hills. The class of the 5 is Stonehedge South.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last weekend, I played a outing in the Jackson area.

The Grande , very nice, tough but fair course, fast greens. Highly recommended.

Sadly, Concord Hills was in terrible shape but you can tell that this course in its day must have been fantastic. Greens were 20% baked mud, fairways are not defined, and its difficult to find a flat place to stand on the tee boxes. Over grown trees & vegetation make it hard to differentiate the course from a area left to return to nature. Lots of elevated tees and it played long without the fairways. So sad, I would really like the course if it weren't for the condition.

Cascades GC is a municipal and was in good shape. Front 9 is a newer with more elevation changes and the back is more traditional & flat. Low prices make it worthwhile. 2nd time I played it this year & it didn't disappoint.

Lakeland Hills is a shorter open course that was in excellent shape especially the greens, moderate speed that rolled true. Some challenging holes with a couple of long par 3s & 5s. Worth a visit.

My regular pasture.

Have any of you SWM golfers played Indian Lake Hills? I'm thinking of trying it out next week. I've heard it's decent and the rates aren't outrageous. It has 3 9-hole courses and you can play them in any combinations for your 18.

Driver:  Krank Formula Five 7.5 X-Stiff        Fairway Woods:  :gigagolf: Pursuit 3 Wood

Hybrids:  nickent.gif3DX 1 & 3            Irons:  :gigagolf: Powermax TRX 4-PW

Wedges:  callaway.gifX-forged Jaws 52,56        Putter: yesgolf.gif Tracy II

Ravines in Saugatuck (Palmer design) - nice course, great staff, well maintained.
I have gone up to Garland resort (Lewiston, MI) for the past two years. 4 great 18's and you can get some great stay and play packages. Played 120 holes in 3 days this past July during my stay. Wished I could have done more, but I dont know if I could have held on to my club.

Driver Hyper X 9*
3 Wood Tight Lies
Hybrids Hyper X 3 & 4
Irons 5 - 9, PW Mizuno JPX 800
Wedge 50, 54, 60 Vokey Spin Milled Putter Ping Anser Ball e7+

Last weekend, I played a outing in the Jackson area.

I've got friends in the Lansing area and they've said many positive things about this course. I hear the greens are humongous and exceptional. I'll have to play it next time.

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

Anyone play both the

I've played the heather but not the Hills. The Heather is a great course and is classic Robert Trent Jones. Lots of dogleg holes, huge bunkers and some strategy. It's been some years since I've played it but it's my second favorite at the Highlands to the Ross course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've got friends in the Lansing area and they've said many positive things about this course. I hear the greens are humongous and exceptional. I'll have to play it next time.

I am located directly between Lansing and Jackson and The Grande is a GREAT course. Worth the price and the trip

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

Note: This thread is 3171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!