IGNORED

Wrist pics???

Note: This thread is 2579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for some good pictures of what your wrists are supposed to look like at the top. I am trying to get more of a bow in my left wrist but it seems like it is making my swing more flat. Don't judge my question by my handicap as that number is from last year and I am making changes to my swing.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am looking for some good pictures of what your wrists are supposed to look like at the top. I am trying to get more of a bow in my left wrist but it seems like it is making my swing more flat. Don't judge my question by my handicap as that number is from last year and I am making changes to my swing.

honestly, you shouldn't manipulate your wrist at the top, unless it's severely bowed or cupped. all it should do is hinge and unhinge and should stay flat all the way through your swing. your momentum at the bottom of the swing will put your wrist in the position it needs to be in given good swing fundamentals.

honestly, you shouldn't manipulate your wrist at the top, unless it's severely bowed or cupped. all it should do is hinge and unhinge and should stay flat all the way through your swing. your momentum at the bottom of the swing will put your wrist in the position it needs to be in given good swing fundamentals.

It's a problem I have had that I am trying to fix. That is why I wanted to see if anyone had any pics that I could take a look at. In the past, I have had a bad cup and I am trying to reverse that.

Bryan A

What to do with the wrist has long been on of the mysteries of the swing to me but I've eventually decided that slight cupping is the done thing. In my efforts to bow my wrist I found that I actually ended up not hinging the wrist adequately resulting in hooks.

Sorry to say though I do not have pictures.

• Administrator

Let me ask you this - are you trying to do this based on Monday's Golf Fix?

Because I've found that people who BOW the left wrist at the top tend to cup it coming into impact. People that cup the left wrist at the top rarely maintain that position and most will bow it a bit coming down. The body tends to do the opposite of what you've done on the backswing. For example, if you over-flex the right elbow, the body will throw that angle away ("casting") pretty quickly from the top. The same tends to hold up (~90% of the time) with the wrist condition. If it's cupped, it'll bow coming down, and if it's bowed, it'll cup coming down. So be careful with this - very few people "bow the wrist at the top and then maintain that relationship all the way down." I've looked at nearly 100 videos specifically looking at this (since it was on Golf Fix, and I was curious if my memory was accurate) and it's really rare to bow/bow. It's almost always "bow/cup" or "cup/bow."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Let me ask you this - are you trying to do this based on Monday's Golf Fix?

No, I don't watch that show. I try not to get caught up with those shows or the magazines. I usually just work on my swing myself (going by ball flight and what not) or go to a teacher. My natural swing has always been more of a hinge at the top but then my problem at impact has been a slight scooping action. Now I have always played descent with this but I am losing distance. Yesterday I messed around with the bow at the top and it made it so much easier to have the hands through first at impact but it seemed to have flattened my swing out which I didn't much care for. I will do some searching for some pics. Basically I am not pinching the ball like I should. I got really hot and heavy with my swing last year, but haven't gotten around to playing as much this year. So my swing has somewhat fallen back into my old habits and I am trying to get back on track.

Bryan A

I find when i cup my wrist at the top of the swing i shank or cut the living crap out of the ball, don't know if its just me out of position that does this, but when i feel my wrist cup at the top i will stop my swing.

I believe Michael (i belive thats the host name of the golf fix)

He was talking that if you bow it at the top you just want to carry that down to impact, and hold on to not turning the wrist over since its already bowed. The issue is that you can get a nasty hook from the top when you have a bowed wrist. Don't know if this is right or not.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I find when i cup my wrist at the top of the swing i shank or cut the living crap out of the ball, don't know if its just me out of position that does this, but when i feel my wrist cup at the top i will stop my swing.

That is basically what I was doing. Since it was bowed at the top, I just had to swing without any manipulation and it was right at impact and I hit some of the best iron shots that I have hit in a long time. That's weird that he did that on his show this week. I was sitting around the house thinking of a fix and this popped into my head. It was something I was told to do like 5 years ago in my first ever lesson.

Bryan A

Yup. Every action in golf usually gets and equal or opposite reaction (mostly opposite).

Then why have most of the pro pics that I have looked at have a flat to bowed wrist? Not arguing, just asking. I haven't looked at a pic yet that had a hinged wrist....granted I have just looked at a few of the top players

Bryan A

Then why have most of the pro pics that I have looked at have a flat to bowed wrist? Not arguing, just asking. I haven't looked at a pic yet that had a hinged wrist....granted I have just looked at a few of the top players

they all have hinged wrists at the top. i haven't seen a player that didn't have a hinged wrist at the top, and you'll never see one, cause it's impossible not to do it. mine naturally cups a tad at the top, but that's natural for me. and honestly, i don't think your swing problems have anything to do with your left wrist at the top. first check your grip and alignment. and you scooping the ball has NOTHING to do with your left hand and EVERYTHING to do with your right.

they all have hinged wrists at the top. i haven't seen a player that didn't have a hinged wrist at the top, and you'll never see one, cause it's impossible not to do it. mine naturally cups a tad at the top, but that's natural for me. and honestly, i don't think your swing problems have anything to do with your left wrist at the top. first check your grip and alignment. and you scooping the ball has NOTHING to do with your left hand and EVERYTHING to do with your right.

I must not be wording it correctly because all of the pics I just looked at showed flat wrists at least. For example, with your hand out and plam facing down, the up and down movement is what I am referring to....not the left to right movement. When I worked with my teacher my swing was all good until the last frame before impact in which my left (not right) hand would start the scooping motion. No matter what I did with my right hand, my left wirst would scoop instead or my left arm rotating. Grip is good. Alignment is good. How does your right hand keep your left hand from collapsing at impact?

What I am working on in this thread is an experiment.

Bryan A

I must not be wording it correctly because all of the pics I just looked at showed flat wrists at least. For example, with your hand out and plam facing down, the up and down movement is what I am referring to....not the left to right movement. When I worked with my teacher my swing was all good until the last frame before impact in which my left (not right) hand would start the scooping motion. No matter what I did with my right hand, my left wirst would scoop instead or my left arm rotating. Grip is good. Alignment is good. How does your right hand keep your left hand from collapsing at impact?

ok... with your palm face down, the left to right movement is hinging. the up and down movement is bowing and cupping. unless manipulated, your left wrist at the top should be naturally ever so slightly cupped or flat. as a right hander, you should only worry about cupping with your right hand. at the top, it should be cupped at a 60* angle or something like that, and should still be slightly cupped at impact. you should not be trying manipulate or anticipate the position in which your hands will be at impact cause you'll probably end up pulling the ball or shanking it.

• Administrator
Yup. Every action in golf usually gets and equal or opposite reaction (mostly opposite).

Usually. Dustin Johnson and Graeme McDowell are in the small minority of people who are bowed to bowed. Most people who are bowed at the top cup at impact, like you said (and like I elaborated on earlier).

That's not "hinged." Stop saying "hinged" as it's causing confusion. Cupped and bowed. That's what we're talking about here.

A lot of great golfers are cupped slightly at the top of the backswing. I have a picture somewhere but a great many of the expert players in it cup the wrist at the top. Again, not to say you have to, just that most golfers tend to do the opposite of what they at P4 (top) when they get to P7 (impact).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So would cupped at the bottom be a flip, or can you make solid contact with a cupped wrist at impact?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have always played with a slightly cupped wrist in the backswing and I have always fought a fade or slice. About a month ago, I started concentrating on keeping my left wrist flat or very slightly bowed and it has helped me a lot. I am now hitting push draws with all clubs and am actually getting lag in my swing. My 150yd club was always a 7 iron and now it's a hard 9 or easy 8iron.

I have taken video of my swing now and i can clearly see a bowed wrist at impact with the hands ahead of the ball. Before, I always had a flip.

Odyssey white Hot 2 ball cut down to 29"

Cobra ZL 9.5 driver
Adams Speedline 3W 13*
TourEdge Bazooka 20* hybrid
Powerbilt forged combo 3-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 56 wedges

ok... with your palm face down, the left to right movement is hinging. the up and down movement is bowing and cupping. unless manipulated, your left wrist at the top should be naturally ever so slightly cupped or flat. as a right hander, you should only worry about cupping with your right hand. at the top, it should be cupped at a 60* angle or something like that, and should still be slightly cupped at impact. you should not be trying manipulate or anticipate the position in which your hands will be at impact cause you'll probably end up pulling the ball or shanking it.

So if the right hand is at a 60* cup, that should naturally cause the left to be flat or maybe a slight bow...right? That makes sense. I had all this down pat last year when I really got into breaking down my swing. Then yesterday, my cousin and I started messing with this and I was thinking about so much stuff, that I got confused. That led me to the thread here. And I knew the difference between hinged and bowed....I have no clue why I was wording it like that as I was typing.

That's not "hinged." Stop saying "hinged" as it's causing confusion. Cupped and bowed. That's what we're talking about here.

I already explained that I was mis-wording this, so there should be no more confusion

I have always played with a slightly cupped wrist in the backswing and I have always fought a fade or slice. About a month ago, I started concentrating on keeping my left wrist flat or very slightly bowed and it has helped me a lot. I am now hitting push draws with all clubs and am actually getting lag in my swing. My 150yd club was always a 7 iron and now it's a hard 9 or easy 8iron.

That is what I was trying to concentrate on yesterday...having a flatter wrist at the top. The reason I wanted to clarify all of this is because it "felt" like it was making my swing flatter for some reason, and I don't want that to happen.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 2579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!