IGNORED

Playing partner stating the obvious!

martytilma
Note: This thread is 5080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have always kept my mouth shut when friends have been playing the round of their lives. (especially when I am in a separate cart keeping everyones score)

They still blow it on the last 2-3 holes anyway.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This past Sunday I was 1 over after 8 holes, last hole is a par 5. My cart-mate says to me "Have you ever shot a 37 before?". Well, needless to say, I still haven't. We did win though.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

I love how everyone pretends to act like that wouldn't have bothered them! Don't misunderstand me, I'm not blaming anyone else but myself. To me its like a unwritten rule, if someone is doing something that they normally wouldn't be doing, ie: no hitter or bowling a 300, you don't have to let them know. THEY KNOW! You think anyone went up to David Duval when he shot his 59 and said. Dave, man you have a chance at a 59!! No way!

People having a weak mind is not my problem. I wouldn't never say something in that situation, but it is lame to put the blame on someone saying something

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

Thanks to this forum, I don't give people tips when they're struggling and I know exactly why (even if it's as simple as they're aiming right into the bush), I never offer any positive insight or words of encouragement when a guy's playing poorly, I never give putts even when they're on the lip, I never make conversation when someone within earshot is in the middle of their 12 step preshot routine, and I definitely I never offer congrats or bring attention to scores after a guy birdies his third hole in a row. I'm a barrell of laughs to play with - thanks everyone.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Sounds like an excuse to me. You put the ball in the water no one else. It is pretty presumptios to assume if he hadn't said anything you don't implode anyways

It's absolutely an excuse! You're 100% correct... it was my swing that put the ball in the water, but just like ANYTHING in life... it takes a fraction of an inch, a fraction of a second, a tiny sliver of doubt to change the course of something.

If only you were at the market at the exact second that the guy who purchased the $300M winning lottery ticket... but you weren't, you missed it by 5 minutes. If only you waited 10 seconds to leave for work... but you didn't and now you're on the side of the road with a dented fender. If only you teed the ball up 3 inches closer to the front of the teeing area... you'd have a hole in one but instead you're left with a tap-in birdie. In my instance, it took that little bit of conversation to wipe out everything I'd envisioned and brought back into play everything I'd blocked from my mind. Is it 50/50 that I'd have still dunked that ball? Absolutely. I can't know 100% that I'd have hit it where I wanted to... but I DO know that it took my concentration away and had me thinking "shut the hell up" instead of "this shot is easy". Just like with the original poster, or a pitcher in a perfect game, or a golfer who stands on the 18th tee needing just a par to break a course record... if they've done everything they can to focus on the one shot, one swing, one putt, one pitch and then somebody breaks their concentration, it's VERY difficult to get back into that frame of mind WITHOUT taking those comments into account. Look at it this way: You're with a super-hot woman... things are going great... you're all over each other and she's ready. She reaches down to find out what she's in for... and she kinda giggles. You're not gettin' over that. It's in your head. Did you tickle her? Did something you do make her happy? Or is she laughing at YOU? How do you recover? Sure, you're gonna try to perform... you may even be able to get through the act... but it's gonna be in your head later on. Next time. At least until everything happens as it should and your head is fully back in the frame of mind it should be. Same concept. It's a mental game... and all it takes is one slip of your concentration (see Johnson, Dustin). CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

People having a weak mind is not my problem. I wouldn't never say something in that situation, but it is lame to put the blame on someone saying something

I'm not blaming him, that would be stupid.

Thanks to this forum, I don't give people tips when they're struggling and I know exactly why (even if it's as simple as they're aiming right into the bush), I never offer any positive insight or words of encouragement when a guy's playing poorly, I never give putts even when they're on the lip, I never make conversation when someone within earshot is in the middle of their 12 step preshot routine, and I definitely I never offer congrats or bring attention to scores after a guy birdies his third hole in a row. I'm a barrell of laughs to play with - thanks everyone.

If your as funny in person as you are on this forum, I would play a round with you any day!

It's absolutely an excuse! You're 100% correct... it was my swing that put the ball in the water, but just like ANYTHING in life... it takes a fraction of an inch, a fraction of a second, a tiny sliver of doubt to change the course of something.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm glad I have someone on my side. That hot chick analogy is some funny stuff!!!

The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

It's an amusing take on what happened but the comment wasn't really said at the inopportune moment, was it? As a golf round is so long, with so many shots it can't really be reduced to a single moment.

edit: I don't like people commenting on my game and I never give advice to others. Sometimes I say well done after a putt but thats about it. Maybe that would be too much for some!

I had one of my playing partners shooting one of the best rounds of his life earlier this year and all I said at the time was mentally he is in a really good place. After the round he thanked me for saying that and not bringing attention of his swing.

I laughed for a solid 2 minutes! Thank you for this...

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Then you are a weak minded individual. If someone's statement can change your frame of mind that strongly.

Whatever though I am not going to fight about it on here. If it is easier to blame someone's statement for your meltdowns then by all means continue on.

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

I am not surprised it effected you...it would 99% of all golfers. I use it...and have all through my competitive golf career. The more you talk to a guy on how well he is playing the more he thinks about it and the holes coming up. Tightening up...starting to . I would just be pissed your partner did it to you.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

You're with a super-hot woman... things are going great... you're all over each other and she's ready. She reaches down to find out what she's in for... and she kinda giggles. You're not gettin' over that. It's in your head. Did you tickle her? Did something you do make her happy? Or is she laughing at YOU? How do you recover? Sure, you're gonna try to perform... you may even be able to get through the act... but it's gonna be in your head later on. Next time. At least until everything happens as it should and your head is fully back in the frame of mind it should be.

Cy, I know what you're getting at, but this analogy doesn't work. You would only have doubts about her giggle, if you had doubts BEFORE her giggle... If you don't have confidence, then any comment will get in your way, whether it's sex or golf. If your 10 previous partners had mentioned how "big" you were, you would be very confident and this last chick's giggling would be completely ignored.

You lined up that 5-iron, knew what you wanted to do, and one little innocent (he wasn't intentionally trying to mess with you) comment completely threw you? That means you never had confidence in your shot from the get-go. Don't blame your playing partner, blame your game...

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Then you are a weak minded individual. If someone's statement can change your frame of mind that strongly.

In terms of golf, I very well may be a weak-minded individual. I love hearing about guys like Tiger who don't let anything bother them (outside of camera shutters). I'm not that guy though. I have 600 thoughts going through my head before every shot... everything from how much I'm enjoying the day to what I did the last time I played this hole. I have to shut all of those down and focus on my shot. Someone can make a comment about the squirrel in the tree on the next fairway and everything starts over for me.

That's me though. I'm that way in life. I don't forget things very often because it's always bouncing around in my head. You can put a test in front of me and chances are, I'm going to ace it or come very close because I'm that guy who remembers everything. I've got tons of things going on... and for me to keep it all out of my head takes a lot. I hit shots a lot of times that afterwards I'll realize that I was thinking about something else than the exact shot I was trying to execute. If I'm LUCKY, it'll work out because of muscle memory... but more often than not, I'll hit a poor shot. Nobody's asking you to fight about it. You have your opinion and you're entitled to it. What you call a meltdown, I call typical for my game. It takes one poor stroke to set me off for a few holes until I get my focus back. It's the reason I don't shoot in the 70's and instead shoot in the 90's. Call it what you will... but you don't have to be a douche about it. CY

Career Bests

Cy, I know what you're getting at, but this analogy doesn't work. You would only have doubts about her giggle, if you had doubts BEFORE her giggle... If you don't have confidence, then any comment will get in your way, whether it's sex or golf. If your 10 previous partners had mentioned how "big" you were, you would be very confident and this last chick's giggling would be completely ignored.

You're absolutely right man. I know he wasn't trying to mess with me... we were partners in a doubles match. But, you're wrong bout my confidence in the shot. As I said above, I had everything else shut off and that comment took me out of that frame of mind. He could have said he had to find a tree to relieve himself on and it STILL would have taken my concentration away... but the fact that he specifically pointed out the water brought that to the front of my mind instead of keeping it blocked.

Again, it's a fault of mine. I won't deny that. And I DON'T have confidence in my golf swing. Any high handicap that says he or she does is a liar. There are TIMES I'm confident... but I've never stood over a shot and said I KNOW it's going where I want every time. Regarding my analogy... I was attempting to bring some humor to the conversation. But, you're right... confidence is the key. CY

Career Bests

So I'm playing in my league last night and I have the round of my life going. I'm -3 after 4 holes and the 5th hole is a par 5 reachable in 2. I reach it in two and just lip out my eagle putt. Tap in for birdie. -4 after 5. Next hole I lip out another putt for birdie, -4 after 6. I'm playing lights out!

Sounds like your being a little anal to me. Mayby he doesnt understand the "In The Zone" etiquette....... :) If some thing like that bothers you..... I'd love to play you for money.

Next time you are in that situation........... Be Stubborn. Forget what hdcp you are, and that you might not have the best swing in golf. Getting into the zone is all about not thinking about the negatives.

LMAO! You knew it was gonna happen. Someone was going to say it. Its like when your on the tee, and you know that ball is going in the lake, and someone says, "I think I saw it splash". You just have to block people out.

hate that.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Note: This thread is 5080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!