IGNORED

Shortening the driver shaft...

Note: This thread is 2361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Silly question. Won't choking down on the club give you a similar outcome?

But that option keeps clubmakers ans regrippers from getting your business and your money!

And not that's not a silly question. Thanks for being logical. Try to resale a Driver thats been cut down 3" vs a factory lengh... this makes your option far more logical.

• 2 years later...

I finally cut 1.25" off my 983k.

I had been choking down and hitting it very well, the reasons I finally did it:

1) I hit it better

2) I use midsize grips, choking down felt like a standard grip

3) Re-using grips is an option, so this was a free mod to do.

I also bought some RBZ irons off ebay that are +3/4". Cut all the Taylormade rubber off, whacked off 11/16" and slid on my older Lamkin crosstours (midsize)...I'm cheap and willing to learn how to do things rather than pay for it.

Best mods I have ever done.

Well, this thread has been revived so here's my thoughts.

Don't know if any other manufactures are shortening shafts, but Pings i20 driver shaft is at least 1/2" shorter than standard.

Best driver I've had, like to think I am a touch longer with it but certainly am a little more accurate.

After several buckets, I can confirm that I am hitting my 9.5 983K way straighter and just as far if not further. Hitting the sweat spot more often IS producing.

There are a few things to consider in my case.

I am 6' and have a "wingspan" of 6'5". Yes, I  am still part gorilla.

My miss is a snap/duck hook. I am trying to keep my ball position off my left heel AND hold my the back of my left hand toward the target...VERY hard to do after 10 years of letting my right hand dominate the follow through.

Bottom line, it is working for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a  used Titleist 910 D2 that had a R flex MFT Diamana ka'ali in it at stock length. Didn't mind the R flex because my plan was to put a Fuji Motore Speeder VC 7.1 stiff in it. (I could buy the entire club for less than I could buy the head only).

I also bought a used Titleist 910 F 15* 3 wood that had a S flex MFT Diamana ka'ali in it at stock length.

Well, the Fuji didn't pan out for the D2 head so just for kicks, I put the 3 wood shaft in the D2. I measured it at 43.75 inches and the swingweight is C6.

After 2 range sessions, I am seriously considering leaving it alone like it is. Unbelievable how I lost no distance compared to the Fuji, but I hit it square in the center and straight. The most interesting aspect I noticed is the boring, penetrating flight with what appears to be a lot of rollout. I also tee the top of the ball even with the top of the crown or I catch it too high on the face.

Well, I needed a 3 wood shaft so................. I butt cut the R flex ka'ali down today to 43.5 overall length but haven't hit it yet. When I hit the 3 wood with the driver length shaft in it yesterday at the range though, I hit it well, so trimming it to proper length should not be a problem.

I'm 6 feet tall & golf is a weird game.

Shortening the shaft  an inch or more causes a major reduction in swingweight. This is not trivial. Make sure you get professional help to put swingweight back where it was or where you get the best numbers.

I shortened the shaft of my Ping G20 driver from 45.75 to 45 and the swingweight went from D3 to C8, which is too low for many people. I was not aware that this would happen (now I am). I had to put lead tape on the head myself because I don't have a good club fitter near home.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been contemplating cutting my 45 inch driver down to 44.5.

When I re-shafted my 3 wood (RBZ), I went down to 43 inches. The length on the woods and drivers were getting crazy.

I had a TaylorMade Superfast many years ago (the 1st generation with the black head). The thing was 46.5 inches. I couldn't control the damn thing. I cut it down to 45 inches and still couldn't control the club. It was just way too light. I never could feel the head. It's funny the next drivers I owned were some of the heaviest on the market. My 910 and now my 913 Titleist drivers play E1 swing weight with lead tape on the heel all at 45 inches. I could use the additional accuracy from a shorter shaft. I would probably hit the ball more with the sweet spot.

D:      Titleist 913 D2 (10.5, Stiff, Diamana D+ 62 / Tipped 1/2 inch)

F:      TaylorMade RBZ (15.0, 43 inches & 19.0, 42 inches, Fujikura Rombax Type-X, 75S)

H:      Adams A12 (21 degree, 40 inches, Diamana HY92, Stiff)

I:        Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 5-PW (KBS Tour, X-Flex, Soft Stepped 1x)

GW:   Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 50 (KBS Tour, X-Flex, non-conforming)

SW    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 (bent one degree strong, KBS Tour, Stiff, non-conforming)

LW:    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 60 (non-conforming, stock shaft)

P1:     Scotty Cameron California Coranado

Originally Posted by NormH3

Silly question. Won't choking down on the club give you a similar outcome? I realize that swingweight can be affected, but wondering if this might be an easier fix to the longer shaft problem.

That's how I started, but I prefer a midsize grip. Choking down felt like a standard grip to me, plus I hated the inch above my hand. So, I popped the grip off, took out the saw, cut 1" off, slid the grip on. bling.

In addition, I'm using an older driver that I plan on upgrading (983k to 913d3) So, had I not liked it, the 913d3 would be here now.

I'm glad I whacked my driver down, my next driver will not be over 44".

I recently chopped off 1/2 inch from a new nike vr driver. I am finding the shaft to be too light. Not sure if the chop changed anything since I never used it at reg length. I want to change out the shaft to a heavier one but still keep the shorter length.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• 3 weeks later...

i got my Cobra Amp shortened 1 full inch today.  i was hitting the sweat spots 4 out of 5 times today.  but i was choking down on it.  my RBZ 3 wood was shortened 3/4 inch   and my burner irons 1/2 inch.  im 5'5''  im stoked!  i cant wait to see and feel the improvements...

I went to Golfsmith and they were good enough to let me experiment with a number of different shaft lengths for my 913D2. Ultimately I landed upon the 44.5 shaft and so we cut my stock 45" shaft down by a half inch. They didn't charge me for the cutting (it took about 30 seconds, including measuring it twice...) and just charged me $12 for the new Golf Pride grip. Since then I've played a dozen rounds and have improved accuracy significantly. I'm 5'9" and firmly believe that the standard stock 45" shafts need to be cut down for people of my height. Best to experiment first and determine what feels best for you as the most important distance in golf continues to remain between our ears.

I had golfsmith cut my new pro launch shaft for my Nike Vr driver. I am playing around with 44.25 inches. I'm 6'2 and have been having alot of issues with drivers. Hopefully this will provide some positives.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

hey guys, this thread is exactly what i am looking for. i am getting back into the game after a long lay off. i have never hit my driver well. while, i have a 17 degree fairway wood that i can consistently hit long and into play. i picked up a diablo octane for super cheap. but, i am all over the face of the club with my strikes. i was watching a the golf channel the other day and they showed in super slow hd what happens when you hit square and off center on your driver. the club face really torques on mishits. so, it convinced me that good ball square ball striking is the most important for me right now. i don't care about being the longest. i just want to stay in the fairway. the octane is a 46 inch shaft. i'm thinking of having 2 inches taken off the butt to improve consistency. it is a 5.0 project x shaft. will that increase the flex at all? how much swing weight will i lose?

• 3 weeks later...

I did it. I shortened 3 driver shafts to 44.5 inches. I gained distance by hitting it more solid in the sweet spot. Previously I played them at 45.

I also have not noticed a significant difference on off center hits.

F:      TaylorMade RBZ (15.0, 43 inches & 19.0, 42 inches, Fujikura Rombax Type-X, 75S)

SW    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 (bent one degree strong, KBS Tour, Stiff, non-conforming)

I purchased a new 913 D3 driver (RIP Phenom 70 S) and 913F 3 wood (Diamana 82 S) this year.  I am only 5'5" on a good day. At Golf Galaxy they suggested that I cut off 2" after the fitting.  I do hit them OK but am wondering now if I did a disservice to myself by cutting of 2".  I guess I could look at upping the weight in the clubhead to 11g or 14g; however, that won't compensate for all the swing weight that was lost.   The more I think about it the clubhead does feel a little light and I am stopping in there tonight to see what the swing weight is now.  I do feel much more comfortable standing over the ball with the shorter shaft and I can carry the driver about 240-250 so maybe I should just be happy with it.  Maybe I am just worried about swing weight because I read the internet?  Seems like some think it is a bigger deal than others?  Unfortunately I have always focused on swing mechanics rather than learning more about equipment specs.

My Sticks - Titleist 913D3 9.5* , 913F 3W 15*, 913H 21* & 24*, Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW w/ DG S300, Vokey SM5 52* & 56* & 60* Wedges, Scotty Cameron Futura X

Originally Posted by Party

I purchased a new 913 D3 driver (RIP Phenom 70 S) and 913F 3 wood (Diamana 82 S) this year.  I am only 5'5" on a good day. At Golf Galaxy they suggested that I cut off 2" after the fitting.  I do hit them OK but am wondering now if I did a disservice to myself by cutting of 2".  I guess I could look at upping the weight in the clubhead to 11g or 14g; however, that won't compensate for all the swing weight that was lost.   The more I think about it the clubhead does feel a little light and I am stopping in there tonight to see what the swing weight is now.  I do feel much more comfortable standing over the ball with the shorter shaft and I can carry the driver about 240-250 so maybe I should just be happy with it.  Maybe I am just worried about swing weight because I read the internet?  Seems like some think it is a bigger deal than others?  Unfortunately I have always focused on swing mechanics rather than learning more about equipment specs.

What did your driver measure before (45.5 or 45)? I can tell you I love the 44.5 inch driver right now. I have a lot more confidence and like I posted above, I'm seeing more distance because I'm hitting the sweet spot or closer to it. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but it does (for me at least).

By the way, I'm 5'11" and only carry the driver the same distance as you. If you are getting that distance I would not worry about it. Every time I try and gain more distance I mess myself up. I'm working on mechanics like you said.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 2361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!