IGNORED

TaylorMade Raylor from fairway?

Note: This thread is 3432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know that the taylormade raylor is designed to work great from the rough, but i have been wondering if it does good off the fairway too. The pointy edge on the bottom seems like it would dig into the ground easy, and cause a lot of chunks.

i am looking for a 3 hybrid. either the taylormade 09 rescue or the raylor? Which do you recommend?

Also do you think the taylormade raylor is good from all lies, not only the rough?

Thanks
What's in my Bag:
Driver-TaylorMade 09 burner 10.5* | 3 wood-TaylorMade 09 burner | 3 hybrid-TaylorMade Rescue 09 | 4-GW-Titliest AP1 710s | 54.08 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | 60.04 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | Putter-Odyssey white hot #7 | Ball - whatever i find

I've had a Raylor in my bag since they first came out. They will work fine from the fairway once you get used to them. Pick it clean and watch it fly. The head seems a little smallish and the distance suffers vs. a standard hybrid but for trouble shots the are wonderful.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Thanks Duffy for being the only person to actually answer my question out of the 111 people who viewed this thread.
What's in my Bag:
Driver-TaylorMade 09 burner 10.5* | 3 wood-TaylorMade 09 burner | 3 hybrid-TaylorMade Rescue 09 | 4-GW-Titliest AP1 710s | 54.08 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | 60.04 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | Putter-Odyssey white hot #7 | Ball - whatever i find

Judging from the tons of em left in the pro shops i have been to he may very well be the only one who has bought one so take what you can get.

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

maybe we viewed not because we have tried this club but because we had the same question.

What's in my Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag that sits on my Clic Gear 3.0 Push Cart:
Driver TaylorMade Tour Burner 10.5° Fujikura SuperFast Stiff
3W TaylorMade Burner 15° TM REAX Stiff
Hybrid Cobra Baffler Rail H 19° Fujikura Motore Stiff
Irons TaylorMade  R7 3-PWWedges Cleveland CG14 52°.10 and...

Glad I could help

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

I just bought a 19 degree Raylor and like it a lot - no problems hitting it off a fairway (even off a range mat was fine) - I'm getting 15 yards more distance than the hybrid I replaced. Haven't had a ton of playing time with it, but like it a lot so far. I hit a lot of other hybrids before I bought this one, and I knew I was taking this one home within 10 minutes...

In my bag:

Driver Exotics XLD 10.5
5W Exotics XLD 18
3H Raylor 19Irons 4-PW X-20 Tour, Project X Shafts 6.0Wedges Oil can 52 & 60, 56Putter 2-Bar BladeBalls NXT Tour

• 2 months later...
I demo'd a 19* Raylor this weekend. LOVED it from the rough...I mean LOVED it. Definitely added yards to my Nike 3 hybrid.

However...I couldn't hit it at all off the fairway. Shanked 2 off the fairway....that I would have had no problem with my Nike. Maybe like some of you said, it would take some getting used to. But the point on the bottom of the club killed me on the fairway.

What's in my standbag:

Driver: Burner Superfast 9.5

Hybrids: Raylor

Irons:: JPX 800 4-GW

Wedges: SV Wedges 56/58/60

Putter: Monza Spyder

I hit 19* Raylor on launch monitor, comparing it to my 5W. Raylor went straighter, 5W about 10 yds. longer with a draw.

Hitting Raylor from fairway: My teaching pro says that you need to watch set-up. With boat-hull sole, you might rock it to heel (pull) or toe (push) if you don't have it set up squarely. Possibly would require some "eye training" when learning to use it.

In rough, boat-hull might "square up" some from pressure of grass on either side. You wouldn't have this on tee or fairway.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have both of the Raylor's and would NEVER buy another. It is amazing from the rough and fantastic from the fairway. At a local course we have a hole thats a giant dog leg right par 5. Used the Raylor 3 from the tee and it was a beautiful middle fairway shot and then the Raylor 4 for the second shot and left me with an easy chip shot on the green in 3. Amazing clubs, you will love them.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

I hit a buddies on the weekend from the fairway on a couple par 5's to try it out. I was impressed with the club. I hit it off the tee on a par 4 and liked it there too.

I didn't find problems hitting it off the fairway, but I can hit my fairway woods surprisingly well from the fairway because my play has required it many many times as my driver isn't the longest out there.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

I can't hit mine out of the fairway at all. The one constant is very low trajectory hooks. I suppose if I ever need to hit a low stinger hook around some trees I have the club for that.

I have both of the Raylor's and would NEVER buy another. It is amazing from the rough and fantastic from the fairway. At a local course we have a hole thats a giant dog leg right par 5. Used the Raylor 3 from the tee and it was a beautiful middle fairway shot and then the Raylor 4 for the second shot and left me with an easy chip shot on the green in 3. Amazing clubs, you will love them.

Um do you like Taylormade?Just kidding,anyways I have the Rescue 09 19* and I love this club. It is so easy to hit and it flys straight with a boring trajectory.Its also pretty good out of the rough as well. the Raylor seems like its more of a specialty club though I have never hit it so I can't say for sure. If you can demo them for a round and try them out and choose the best one for you.

In my Nexos

Driver R9 10.5*matrix ozik xcon 6
3wood dunlop Reaction 15*
hybrid Rescue 09 19* Aldila Re*ax 65 S Irons 755 3-PW project X flighted 5.5 Wedges MP T-10 52* 07 DG S300 WG 706 56* 12* bounce DG Wedge flex1018...

I have a TM 18 degree hybrid and I have issues off the fairway and typically only use it off the tee on short par4s. I haven't been able to hit the range with it since I bought it which may explain that too

Sticks: Burner SF 9.5, 15, 19 | MX-300 4-GW | CG15 56.14, 60.12 | BS Tour #9
Accessories: Tour 360 4.0 | Revolution Stand Bag | GolfShot iPhone App
Last Round: 82 (70)

• 4 years later...

just started back playing again after not picking up a club in years, a friend gave me this club, told me i would love it and i do! Not only do i like it in the fairway but on long a long par 3 i get great control and loft from the tee box. it allows me to set the ball nicely on the green, now if i could learn to putt again i will be ok lol

An old thread with a couple of recent responses, but I have an original Taylor Raylor 16* in the old small head "tour preferred" style from around 1990. One club I will always hang on to-it has always been quite useful from tee, fairway, or rough. To me, the forerunner of the hybrid.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!