IGNORED

How often do you hit it "pure"?

Note: This thread is 5049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is just silly, Shanks. Golfers know what the "sweet spot" is. Arguing semantics regarding center of gravity vs sweet spot by Googling "sweet spot" doesn't mean much. You're better than that, guy.

I agree with this post. We all know there is one sweet spot (and where do they keep making up this needle point thing, why even assign a size to it?). How 'bout we say that "enlarging the sweet spot" means "to increase the COR on points not on the exact sweet spot", and that is what makes a golf club "more forgiving"?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with this post. We all know there is one sweet spot (and where do they keep making up this needle point thing, why even assign a size to it?). How 'bout we say that "enlarging the sweet spot" means "to increase the COR on points not on the exact sweet spot", and that is what makes a golf club "more forgiving"?

But don't you agree that pure is pure, no matter how forgiving the club? I mean, that's what I mean by pure. My GI shovels I used to play were just as easy or hard to hit "pure" as a blade. They just happened to be more forgiving on mishits.

That's where the distinction lies. Pure to me, means to hit it right on the center, with perfect, effortless contact, where it flies long and true. Solid is to strike it within an area the size of a nickel, with some error, where the ball goes the wrong way, or wrong height, or you came into it too steep, etc.

But don't you agree that pure is pure, no matter how forgiving the club? I mean, that's what I mean by pure.

Yes, of course.

My GI shovels I used to play were just as easy or hard to hit "pure" as a blade. They just happened to be more forgiving on mishits.

Well, due to different sole widths, I would imagine GI shovels are a little easier to pure for chunkers, but I see your point.

That's where the distinction lies. Pure to me, means to hit it right on the center, with perfect, effortless contact, where it flies long and true. Solid is to strike it within an area the size of a nickel, with some error, where the ball goes the wrong way, or wrong height, or you came into it too steep, etc.

Yes, that's a good distinction.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think it's because the definition of 'pure' is different for some. Myself, I thought this thread was about unsafe sex until I actually opened it up

I agree with that. When I said that I might hit 1-2 shots out of 10 pure....I mean I "MIGHT" hit that many out of 10 pure. To me, pure is just very difficult to achieve on a consistent level.

For the blade holdouts among us, I suspect there is no doubt whatsoever when a shot on the course has been struck pure. The sound, the feeling as the ball compresses, then the trajectory and distance, and possibly the unconsciously held-way-too-long finish position as you watch the ball sail off into the distance, and you're thinking, "yeah, that's all I got right there."

That is one reason I am making these statements. I play the Mizuno MP32s and if it's pure, you know it! If it is mishit in the slightest, you know it. That is why I like the blade style clubs over forgiving clubs. I like the instant feedback of what happened.

With all this being said, I agree with everyone about the mishits. Golf is not achieving the "pure" shots on every swing, it is about having the ability to control your mishits.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Golf is not achieving the "pure" shots on every swing, it is about having the ability to control your mishits.

If it was possible to agree more than 100%, I would.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Distance is a wonderful thing, when it's good distance ie fairway, first cut etc. I am lucky that I hit the ball out there a ways. I have learned that unless it's a fairly wide open area to drive to, without much trouble, to choke my driver and hit it about 270-280 depending upon the fairway being flat uphill down hill whatever. This leaves me usually with a relatively short iron to most greens. When I say choke, I mean I swing about 90% and grip my driver down about a half inch. My long time playing partner, hits the ball only about 225-250. He is always down the middle and is usually hitting much longer irons than I am, into the green. He misses significanlty more greens than me, usually just short, rarely long, left or right. But he is a chipping and putting machine. Point being this, I still usually, 8 out of 10 times beat him, but never very badly. Our handicaps however put us within a shot or two of each other every time. It amazes me how that works out. Now in two man scrambles, we do amazingly well. He will hit it down the middle and I'll let it rip when he does. The biggest improvement in my game came when I learned to choke the driver back, hit more fairways, got better at chipping and putting and learned to make a concious effort to minimize trouble and eliminate that one hole that we all invairably have in a round where we hit a bad shot, try to pull a shot off that is beyond belief and make that bogey or double bogey a hockey stick, snowman or worse.

The other thing is the GPS that has given amazingly accurate yardages to the front, center and back of the green. I was shocked to learn that some of the yardages indicated by the markers on the course were off as much as 22 yards. LOL! Better golf through Technology!

In my OU Bag: Driver 9.5 Neutral Fujikura Motore Stiff
3 Wood Big Bertha
Hybrid 21 degree
Irons Big Bertha 08 Model
Wedges 60 degreeFlatstick Original Answer Winn Midsize Grip Rock Pro V 1 Black"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife...

LoL! No couselor, I think the "point" has been made! ROFLMAO!

3 Wood Big Bertha
Hybrid 21 degree
Wedges 60 degreeFlatstick Original Answer Winn Midsize Grip Rock Pro V 1 Black"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife...

Dear Shanks,

How are you today. I am assuming that by looking at your handicap, you have quit shooting those chili peppers up Lee Janzen's ass.

I believe the average golfer, and me as you can tell by my pic, being of inferior intelligence, agree with the many definitions of sweet spot that you so aptly posted earlier. However, I believe that while not making a sweet spot larger, they, the manufacturers, have made the clubs more forgiving and increased the area of effective use on the the club face. Not being a pro, such as yourself, I cannot with any great degree of regularity, hit my 9 iron repeatedly 135 yards. Sometimes it's 133 sometimes it's 138, however the shot's feel the same. That being said, I think the general definition of hitting a pure shot is hitting one that travels along the intended path of trajectory, arriving somewhere within the intended area (or area code) in which it was intended to. In other words, it did what you wanted. I just enjoy going out there and beating the hell outta the ball until it says "No mas, boss". LOL! I love this place.

3 Wood Big Bertha
Hybrid 21 degree

I just enjoy going out there and beating the hell outta the ball . . .

You could have left that last bit right out.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

About 2 or 3 ----per summer!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 5049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!