IGNORED

best golf courses played

Rezgolf
Note: This thread is 3375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played Mountain Top; a Tom Fazio course in Cashiers, NC. Absolutely stunning, and uber elite club...

http://www.mountaintopgolfclub.com/

Pic from the clubhouse looking at the range; gotta love hitting Pro-V1's as range balls..
http://www.ncmountainlife.com/admin/...s/pic-2453.jpg

:cleveland:         Classic 10.5° w/ Miyazaki C.Kua Limited X-Stiff
:cleveland:         Launcher FL 3 Wood 17° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:cleveland:         Mashie 3H 20.5° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:mizuno:   MP-57 4 - PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300
:cleveland:         588 - 52° 56° 60°
:scotty_cameron:          Studio Newport 2
:srixon:              Z-Star Tour Yellow 

Harbour Town Golf Links, Hilton Head Island was the highest ranked course I have played. However, I can think of a few courses I enjoyed playing more. It's almost a little difficult to enjoy the golf when you are paying $200 + per round. Perhaps my favorite course in Michigan is The Gailes Course at Lakewood Shores in Oscoda. Traditional Scottish links style course, complete with pot bunkers and double greens and it's always in great shape.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I agree - I've played Pasatiempo and was largely disappointed. I don't understand why it continues to make all the top 100 lists. Its nice, and probably a great place for local californians to play regularly, but it certainly is not a 'destination' track.

Pasatiempo makes my top 10 and Pebble Beach doesn't, but I understand your point about a "destination" course. It's not pretty or resort like in any way. What makes it a great course IMO is that it's a shot maker's course. It's not target golf and it gives you options on most holes. You have to be able to work the ball and you'll hit every club in your bag. It also has 4 outstanding par 3's, although I've never been a fan of a par 3 as the finishing hole. Of all his designs, it was Alistair MacKenzie's favorite.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

International Course

Mission Hills (Ernie Els course) Shenzhen, China.
Listed because it was a very cool trip - won't get there again

Local Courses

The International (Pines and Oaks courses) Bolton, MA
Didn't play from the Tiger tees on Pines, but both still provided more than enough challenges for a hacker like me

Red Tail - Devens, MA
Visually appealing (multiple elevation changes, many bunkers / waste areas), and very challenging

Blackstone National - Sutton, MA
Visually appealing - feels like playing in North Carolina. Also challenging

Out of State Course

Barton Creek - Austin, TX
Crenshaw, Palmer and Fazio gem

Treviso Bay, Tiburon Country Club, and the Olde Collier Golf Course are the nicest ones I've played. I really haven't played outside Florida though.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Tiburon is where the Rick Smith golf academy is. Also I play at a pretty nice course called La Playa which has a David Leadbetter teaching academy there also.

Taylormade RAC 58º

Back in the early 80's I was caddying for our base course assistant pro at the Pennsylvania Assistants Championship. The 3rd day we got paired with the assistant from Merion. My friend had knew him growing up. They got to talking and the guy invited him up to play and said he could bring someone with him. That happened to be me so I got to play this historic track. Many USGA Championships have been played there. This years Walker Cup is being played there and the US Open in 2013 is being played there. I was a strong 4 hdcp back then and made a 10 footer on 18 to break 90. For a short track that is one tough course. If you are out there somewhere Bill thanks for that great memory!

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

• 5 months later...
Tie for first- Oakmont and Shinnecock
Nationa Golf Links
Shoreacres
Oakland Hills South
Arcadia Bluffs
Crystal Downs
Maidstone
Inverness
TPC Sawgrass
Rich Harvest

Have Pebble, Spyglass, San Francisco GC, and Olympic lined up for May

Who do you know because San Fran is private as hell!

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

Treviso Bay, Tiburon Country Club, and the Olde Collier Golf Course are the nicest ones I've played. I really haven't played outside Florida though.

I also like Tiburon, but I think Wolf Creek (Mesquite, NV) and the Blue Monster are better.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Braemar Golf Cousrse in Scotland or gleneagles par 3 9 holes may have been a par three but unbelievable skill needed like one hol you had to hit a draw (most players fade) to get to the green which is very elevated so a high draw that stops is the shot required and that is just one hole

The Olde Farm in Bristol, VA.

Loren Roberts is a member and said it was the best manicured course he has ever played.

Many famous members, all the Mannings, Dan Marino(current club champ)

I played Pinehurst #2 a few years ago, that was a very tough course, but very nice.

Other courses that I've found very well manicured and a joy to play (all around Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Aberdeen area):

The Pit Golf Links
Pine Needles
Bayonet at Puppy Creek

I've played some really nice courses, but these take the cake!

Ranked in order of the golf, not the amenities.

1. Whistling Straits, Kohler Wi
2. Timberstone GC, Iron Mtn, MI
3. Minocqua CC, WI
4. Ventana Canyon - Mtn, Tuscon, AZ
5. Gold Canyon - Dinosaur, AZ
6. Irish Course, Kohler, WI
7. University Ridge, Madison WI
8. Troon North - Monument, AZ
9. Grayhawk - Raptor, Scottsdale, AZ
10. Northern Bay Resort, Arkdale WI

27. The River Course, Kohler
77. Meadows Course, Kohler.

What's in my bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
Fairway: Comp 15* Aldila NVS
Hybrids: 19* & 22*Irons: CG2 4-PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*Putter: Studio Design Newport 1.5Ball: One BlackBag: GPS: SG3

Thanks for the thread! It's allowed me to go back and think about all those perfect days on these courses, even if my game was far from perfect:

1. Spyglass Hill, Monterey Peninsula, CA
2. TPC Sawgrass, FL
3. Rio Secco, Henderson, NV
4. Port Ludlow, WA
5. Prince Course, Princeville, Kauai, HI
6. World Woods Pine Barrens, Brooksville, FL
7. Marsh Landing, Ponte Vedra, FL
8. Torrey Pines South, La Jolla, CA
9. Gold Mountain, Bremerton, WA
10. Chateau Whistler, BC, Canada

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

Ive played Treviso Bay, the site of last years ACE Group Classic. Great course. I also live about 3 miles from The Quarry , and have played it many times. Its weird to see them talking about and playing a course that I live right down the road from and played before. Ill be going down there to watch them play this weekend :). The quarry is a beautiful beautiful, hard course. Its a great venue for the ACE Group Classic.

Taylormade RAC 58º

Note: This thread is 3375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!