IGNORED

My Swing (bplewis24)

bplewis24
Note: This thread is 3586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Took 2nd in my Club Championship (Net) today.  Lost by 1 stroke.  I had low (net) round of the day today (gross 79), but the winner had me by 2 strokes during yesterday's round.  My driving has been awesome lately, and it's really just my short game that has been letting me down.

I knew I needed a birdie or two on the final two holes, and I lipped out 2 consecutive birdie putts inside of 10 feet.  I don't care though, just giving myself the opportunity was a success.  Those are two tough driving holes.

Only three more important golf outings left for my season.  I have a lot of work to do on my irons because I still add too much loft to my short irons by not staying connected enough and also not getting enough hip slide.  However, I struck the ball well enough to shoot a 74-75 today and really my short game just lets me down.

• Upvote 2

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read all of the posts on your thread but sounds like you are or have experienced what took me years to fix with tons and tons of bad rounds and days I just wanted to quit the game.  Your first swing looks exactly like mine did and still does at times.

Just wondering, have you ever used the Tour Striker training aid?   I started using my impact bag alot more and a buddy convinced me to purchase this training aid and it is amazing how much it has helped my swing.  I have taken a ton lessons and frankly started to get worst because I need feedback and not just someone telling me to hit a certain way. I had a million thoughts in my head when it really came down to a few moves to fix a pyramid of other bad moves that was not even coming close to getting me at the correct impact position.  Like you I was really afraid of "swaying" too much with my hips but this aid teaches you that it is ok to do it because it gives you immediate feedback.

Again, did not read all of your posts and not sure if this is of any help or if others would advocate trying it out, but it may be worth a look.

Just google Tour Striker and see what you think.

Originally Posted by Divotmaker77

I haven't read all of the posts on your thread but sounds like you are or have experienced what took me years to fix with tons and tons of bad rounds and days I just wanted to quit the game.  Your first swing looks exactly like mine did and still does at times.

Just wondering, have you ever used the Tour Striker training aid?   I started using my impact bag alot more and a buddy convinced me to purchase this training aid and it is amazing how much it has helped my swing.  I have taken a ton lessons and frankly started to get worst because I need feedback and not just someone telling me to hit a certain way. I had a million thoughts in my head when it really came down to a few moves to fix a pyramid of other bad moves that was not even coming close to getting me at the correct impact position.  Like you I was really afraid of "swaying" too much with my hips but this aid teaches you that it is ok to do it because it gives you immediate feedback.

Again, did not read all of your posts and not sure if this is of any help or if others would advocate trying it out, but it may be worth a look.

Just google Tour Striker and see what you think.

Thanks for the response.  I haven't had a chance to use the Tour Striker, although I have seen it.  At a couple of my Golf Galaxy lessons earlier this year I did use an impact bag (which I believe helped me conceptually somewhat).  Afterwards, I have occasionally used a pillow in the house to simulate the same type of effect.

You are correct that it has been a long, long process to try and eliminate flipping/casting and other novice swing flaws.  Although I am currently swinging much better lately, I don't believe my casting at the ball is completely eliminated, although I do believe I have significantly reduced it.

Regarding hip sway, that isn't much of an issue anymore.  I will have to get some video up this week to illustrate the positive (I think) changes I've made in my setup that have really helped me get into a better position at the type and deliver more power to the ball.  Again, I still believe there is a bit of casting going on, but I have my hips and upper body generating a lot more power than I did earlier in the season.  I'll try and get some video up this week.

When you post your updated videos... Touching on all of those sub 80 rounds and you're still an 11.9??  Pffffftttt  Update your damn handicap you sand bagger!!!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

When you post your updated videos... Touching on all of those sub 80 rounds and you're still an 11.9??  Pffffftttt  Update your damn handicap you sand bagger!!!!

I'm actually up to a 12.4 now.  My sub-8 differentials are gone, and I've had a few rounds that have gotten away from me (low 90s).  My short game is now keeping me from establishing a single-digit handicap.  That, and the fact that I typically stop playing as much this late in the year.

This past weekend I went to a course expecting to shoot a new personal best and shot an 86 because I hit three ball in water hazards in the first 9 holes.  I eventually figured it out, but it was highly disappointing.  Perhaps you guys will see something in my swing that is the cause of that inconsistency?

I probably won't get any video up until later in the week.  Today through Thursday I'm working out twice a day (morning and after work) and, while I still go to the range afterwards, I'm usually thoroughly exhausted and only hit a half bucket of full and partial wedge shots.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'm actually up to a 12.4 now.  My sub-8 differentials are gone, and I've had a few rounds that have gotten away from me (low 90s).  My short game is now keeping me from establishing a single-digit handicap.  That, and the fact that I typically stop playing as much this late in the year.

This past weekend I went to a course expecting to shoot a new personal best and shot an 86 because I hit three ball in water hazards in the first 9 holes.  I eventually figured it out, but it was highly disappointing.  Perhaps you guys will see something in my swing that is the cause of that inconsistency?

I probably won't get any video up until later in the week.  Today through Thursday I'm working out twice a day (morning and after work) and, while I still go to the range afterwards, I'm usually thoroughly exhausted and only hit a half bucket of full and partial wedge shots.

Just busting on you bud.  Keep working at it.  When you post another video, if I see anything with my untrained eye... I'll let you know.

I don't know what other's experience is, but 99.9% of the time when my game gets off it's because my shoulders get turning too flat and I start spinning the hips too much.  I bet it's a similar experience for a lot of people.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• 2 weeks later...

Man oh man, I came so close today!  I actually won my club's annual Mucci Memorial Tournament in Reno, but I nearly had another personal best and shot close to par.

This was a shotgun start and my group started on #12.  So if you notice, I was even par through 11 holes and +1 through 12 holes, and then came the dreaded OB tee shot on a par 5.  And when I say OB, I mean it was sitting on flat hard pan but a foot outside of the OB stakes.  I could have probably reached the green from that lie!  Instead I took an 8 with my provisional.  The par 5 scoring really has been killing me the last month or two.  I'm almost always dead center of the fairway with great drives and under 240 to the pin (today I probably averaged 210 yards for my 2nd shots), and ALWAYS find a way to mess it up.  I was +4 on the par 5s even though I'm the longest hitter in our club and was in the fairway on 3 of the 4.

Still, I'm not complaining.  I haven't checked all of my past rounds, but I'm fairly certain I hit a personal best number of GIR and Fairways for an 18-hole, par 72 course.  And starting my first hole by sinking a 42' birdie putt isn't exactly bad luck either.  I know it was 42 feet because we had to measure it for closest to the pin since I was the only person to hit the green and we were the first group to play that hole .

Anyway, it looks like I will come up just short of my goal of becoming a single-digit handicapper this season.  But I hit all of my other goals easily, so I'm happy.

• 1 year later...

Mike said it was okay to post this video for starters.  The range without stalls will be open tomorrow and I can get more video up then.  In the meantime, Mike will give me some tips/pointers on better video angles.

Really nice swing, I wonder what they will do to improve it? :hmm:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is going to be great to watch. Is it all going to happen in your swing thread? Or in a new one?

Michael

This is going to be great to watch. Is it all going to happen in your swing thread? Or in a new one?

I think Mike suggested we do it here.  I'd be okay with it happening in a new thread if that's what folks want.  Just let me know.

I'd just like to add that this is about the perfect timing for lessons.  I probably would have shot about 100 on Sunday if I would have played out every hole (I picked up twice), and I can't get off the tee to save my life.  I can hit my 5 iron about as far as I can hit my driver at this point.  Nothing feels good.  I am open to instruction!

I think Mike suggested we do it here.  I'd be okay with it happening in a new thread if that's what folks want.  Just let me know. I'd just like to add that this is about the perfect timing for lessons.  I probably would have shot about 100 on Sunday if I would have played out every hole (I picked up twice), and I can't get off the tee to save my life.  I can hit my 5 iron about as far as I can hit my driver at this point.  Nothing feels good.  I am open to instruction!

I vote new thread, but with a link to this thread. This will make it easier for us to navigate from the before and after videos. BTW, I think we should change Brandon's handicap to 0.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think Mike suggested we do it here.  I'd be okay with it happening in a new thread if that's what folks want.  Just let me know.

I'd just like to add that this is about the perfect timing for lessons.  I probably would have shot about 100 on Sunday if I would have played out every hole (I picked up twice), and I can't get off the tee to save my life.  I can hit my 5 iron about as far as I can hit my driver at this point.  Nothing feels good.  I am open to instruction!

Agree with Mike.  It's all about your swing, and you're going to want to have everything to look back on, which will be a heck of a lot easier to find in here.

Mike said it was okay to post this video for starters.  The range without stalls will be open tomorrow and I can get more video up then.  In the meantime, Mike will give me some tips/pointers on better video angles.

Man, I believe that you have a solid foundation there for Mike to work from!  Not that I didn't already know that, Mr. MVP, but it's been awhile since I've actually seen the swing, and never in slow motion.

And for the record, while I'm certainly no expert, it looks to me like you did pretty darn good on your camera setups.

P.S.  Couldn't believe that it's been a year and a half since you updated this thing!!

I see some similarities with some of the things I do. I'll be interested to see the feedback.

The only similarities I see with his swing are that I have a club in my hands and my arms also move.

Look at his hip flexibility, and the amount of power he is getting! He is getting nearly 90% of his body weight into that swing!

Brandon, you're a plus handicap in the making!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The only similarities I see with his swing are that I have a club in my hands and my arms also move.

Look at his hip flexibility, and the amount of power he is getting! He is getting nearly 90% of his body weight into that swing!

Brandon, you're a plus handicap in the making!

The swing does look powerful.

@bplewis24 , anyway you would be willing to post distances?  Before and after?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 3586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!