IGNORED

Do you know what you are shooting during a round?

acegolfer
Note: This thread is 5048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Always aware of how I'm standing in relation to par. Like others have said it's usually impossible not to. If I ever start getting into negative numbers I try not to think about it but it's hard to not get excited. I've never experienced "the zone" before where all you can focus on is each shot an nothing else.

Fore!

I haven't carried nor used a scorecard in 20 years. Seriously. After about every 4 holes I recap in my mind, and total the over or unders. Sometimes when I'm on the 18 tee I think about my current total, but I try not to until the round is complete.

I know how many over I am. I usually don't pay attention to the total until the end of the 9 or 18.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I did an experiment years ago when I played. For six months I did not use the words birdie, par, or bogey. I only talked about a number. I found that my overall scores were lower for that time than when I talked about making a birdie, or needing a birdie, or whatever. Then I noticed when I played USGA tournaments there was a hole number and a box. What par the hole was did not matter. I also realized that when I just went by the numbers I did not know where I stood for the round. I had some of my best rounds when I did not know where I was relative to par. I blew some great rounds when after 14 I knew I was 9 under and had a chance for the course record or to break 60.

There are some tour players today that do not look at leader boards... even when they think they are leading. The guys that are leader board lookers are more worried about choking the lead away than they are actually winning.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I don't understand why people wouldn't want to know where they are... maybe it's just the different levels of players?

... if I'm standing over a 6 footer for a 69 you can sure bet I would want to know... obviously every shot is important, but if you can't improve under pressure, how do you expect to improve.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I don't understand why people wouldn't want to know where they are... maybe it's just the different levels of players?

... if I'm standing over a 6 footer for a 69 you can sure bet I would want to know... obviously every shot is important, but if you can't improve under pressure, how do you expect to improve.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

... if I'm standing over a 6 footer for a 69 you can sure bet I would want to know...

That's true on so many levels!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My goal is not to play different for any shot. I don't care if it's for 69, 59, or 89. I want to play the same for every shot. Pressure to make a putt is not real... unless it is for real money (make it or lose $100). For the most part, pressure is self imposed. Why is a 4 footer for 65 harder than a 4 footer for 85? It's not..... it's the same damn putt. What it's for is irrelevant to the shot that has to be made. So, I strive to make every shot matter just the same.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

There are some tour players today that do not look at leader boards... even when they think they are leading. The guys that are leader board lookers are more worried about choking the lead away than they are actually winning.

While I try not to pay too much attention to my score during a round, I think it'd be foolish not to know where you stand in a tournament, particularly if you're near the top. If you're playing to win, knowing whether you need to go balls-out for a birdie to make the playoff, or whether you can relax and win with a bogey or better is a pretty important piece of course management information.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

While I try not to pay too much attention to my score during a round, I think it'd be foolish not to know where you stand in a tournament, particularly if you're near the top. If you're playing to win, knowing whether you need to go balls-out for a birdie to make the playoff, or whether you can relax and win with a bogey or better is a pretty important piece of course management information.

That's the point - some players prefer to stick with their original game plan, no matter where you sit relative to the field. They probably are successful more often than not with that strategy.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That's the point - some players prefer to stick with their original game plan, no matter where you sit relative to the field. They probably are successful more often than not with that strategy.

I understand that's the point, and if that's the only way they can do it, then I guess that's what they should do. But I think that's a sign of a poor competitive spirit, and it's part of why some golfers are more fun to watch than others. The fun guys, IMO, play to win.

From a strategic perspective, it's flat out a poor decision not to know. The values of a risk-reward decision change depending on where you stand, and if you really play to win, you've got to factor that in. Going for the par 5 17th in two might be too risky as a general strategy, but if you're three strokes back from a posted score with two holes to play, it's the only way you can win; to do otherwise is to concede. It's just being happy to be in second place, which is probably a smart career move (since you might end up 3rd if you lose a stroke after a gamble), but I don't think it's how the game is meant to be played.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I just keep score in relation to par... +1, -1 whatever it happens to be. I have a really good memory, so after the round, I'll fill out all my stats. I seldom use a card unless I'm playing with a group of friends or in a tournament.

i do the same....sorta

i know how many OVER par i am for the round but am starting to keep stats again and will have to write them down as i go....my memory stinks!! haha!
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Your point is definitely valid, though I tink it applies moreso in specific situations. For example, in this year's US Open Graeme McDowell had a one shot lead over Havret at the 18th and he waited to see his score to dictate whether he tried to play more aggressively on the last shot. Havret parred so he laid well up and took an easy par to win. This is obvious though, I think any pro would do it but it's just an example.

Fore!

While that's a wonderful idea for a Tour pro, 99.9% of us will never know where we stand against the field while we are still out on the course. If you know you are playing well and have a chance to be at or near the top of the competition, it would be just plain stupid to go all out for a birdie that you don't actually know that you need, and risk ending up with a bogey or double that takes you out of the running. You continue to play the game that got you to that point.

I've played in a lot of tournaments over the last 20 years, but I've certainly never been in a tournament where there was a leaderboard with live scoring. Scores are only posted after the round is finished.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!