IGNORED

How many of you still carry a 3 iron?

Note: This thread is 5042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would get 3i and find out how it works for him, since 3i is between 4W (and 5W) and 24 degree hybrid which is little longer distance than 4i. One thing you may want to consider.....I recently replaced my wood and hybrid in steel shaft as I have much better trajectory and control in steel.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do, but it's more of an off-set, cavity back 3 iron from an old iron set I used to use (TM Rac OS2 3 iron) helps a lot on a low iron like the 3.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

dumped it a few years back
never had a use for it
all gaps are now covered w/out it
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I carry a 3 Iron and love it. Will never take it out for a hybrid!

If it's his set... Even though you are paying for it, I would get him the 3Iron. Golf clubs are very personal things, so if he wants a 3iron thats what he should play and even if it is harder to hit he will have cinfidence using it over a hybrid because thats what he likes.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I'm actually contemplating finding a 3I to match my MX-23 set that I bought as 4-PW. I hit my 4I extremely well and my 5W is both less accurate and only a small bit longer most of the time (but when I hit it on the screws, it's a thing of beauty... sadly that's rare). I could try a hybrid, but I am not really excited to have one more slightly different type of club in the bag.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I have not carried a 3 iron for several years, replaced by hybrid(s). I do own a 4 iron currently with my MX-200s but it does not come out to play often, most times it is not in the bag. The 4 iron gets to play on courses which I have played previously, tight, very unforgiving places where I know it has its' uses. I find a 22° or 24° hybrid more useful for my abilities.

It depends on the course conditions im playing. It hasn't been raining much at all where i am the last few weeks, so all the courses are hard. So in those conditions a 3i is a useful club for me. I used it this past weekend, matter of fact. But 90% of the time, im using my 21 degree hybrid. Its just a more playable club than a traditional 3i.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Game both a 3i and 20 degree hybrid. I use the hybrid more often because it gives me a bit more confidence, and I stripe it fairly well off the deck. I will sometimes use the 3i off a tee if it's a tight shot.

I carry a 3i, I find it very easy to hit. I practice with it at the range a lot though.
If I could find a 2i or 1i I'd buy them for practice or windy days.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I couldn't play without my 3 iron, I even have the 2 and 1 iron, not allways in my bag, but I use them at the range quite often, it makes hitting a 3 iron as easy as you could think of. My 1 iron even has a loft of 15* ..... sometimes when my driver sends me into the woods ..... it is allways fun at a first tee in a competition round to take the 1 iron out of the bag ...... your playing partners will laugh a bit of hitting an iron, but a well struck 1 iron goes whole the way (at least about 220-230 yds) ..... most of times further than the others and in the deadcenter of the fairway ...... LOL. Not seldom driving with an 1 iron, means making a par (if I am "lucky" the only par).

At my home course we start with a par 4 left dogleg of about 450 yds, and for a GIR you need a tee shot of at least 220-230 to the left in the center of the dogleg...... not many walk off with a par overhere, even fewer make GIR. A great opportunity to place the one iron....... instead of trying to draw a perfect driver.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Lots of people carry 3-irons. But due to loft deflation, many have the number 4 on the clubhead.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it all comes down to how much clubhead speed you can generate; if you have enough, you shouldn't have any issues playing a 3 iron but if you can't muster up much of a swing a hybrid will help you get the ball up in the air easier.

And what would that magical swing speed number be?

I tried all last year to put a hybrid in my bag but I could not find the right one. I tried all kinds of combinations with shaft changes but never felt comfortable with it. I put my 3 iron bag in my bag and have been happy ever since.... To each his own!

its more complicated than just swingspeed alone. Swingspeed as well as loft and spin combine to what clubfitters refer to as playable trajectory. The idea of the iron is to hit the green and stick on it, not hitting the green and rolling 40 yards past it. If you get a full Titleist fitting (with a competent clubfitter), there is a section reserved for playable trajectory. Often times, people are better suited with a 4 irons instead of a 3 iron. That being said, I love my 2 and 3 irons and i wouldn`t trade them for hybrids.

It's the number that allows you to hit the three iron 10 -15 yards further than your 4 iron thus making it a viable club choice and not a duplication. Many players start reaching the law of diminishing returns and may see virtually no increase over the 4 iron. Then again that doesn't mean a player can't use it strictly for low punches, but it seems like that it is not a great trade-off.

Personally, I just came to grips that I needed a hybrid and sacrificed my two iron. I can cover that 225 gap with three different clubs...2 iron, 2 hybrid (17 degrees), or 5 wood. For now, it's the hybrid.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

i carry a 3 iron. its so much more accurate then a hybrid, sure its harder to hit but if you practice to the point where you can consistently strike the ball well on a club that most people forgo because it is to hard to hit imagine how good you will be with you short clubs.

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

Note: This thread is 5042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!