IGNORED

Knowing your yardages

Note: This thread is 5031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There is no benefit to guessing or relying on inaccurate course markers.

Gee, I wonder how golfers managed for the last 550 years without the wonders of gps.

There is no benefit to guessing or relying on inaccurate course markers.

Mostly agreed - but I'd argue that the benefiit of knowing exact yardages for every single shot is somewhat wasted for most mid-handicappers. Show me someone who can intentionally create a 5 yard spread between two shots or hit a specified yardage within 5 yards more than 15% of the time and I'll agree that exact yardages would be helpful for them.

Of course, the above is mostly based on the fact that the markers/sprinkler heads at my home course are reasonably accurate (within 5 yards or so). That said, I do know players who insist on zapping every shot with the rangefinder, even those within 40 yards of the green on courses that they've played regularly for years. Don't get me wrong - it's nice to be able to play those mechanically (e.g, 40 yards = 24 inches of backswing with club X, etc.) but you've also got to develop a feel for those in close shots and learn to eyeball distances. It helps to foster a bit of creativity around the greens and comes in handy when you're shooting for a point with no clear landmark (not to mention those times when you're actually not allowed to use a GPS).

Gee, I wonder how golfers managed for the last 550 years without the wonders of gps.

The wonders of GPS or in my case a rangefinder is to know the distance to the nearest yard...

I fail to see what advantages you are advocating.

Mostly agreed - but I'd argue that the benefiit of knowing exact yardages for every single shot is somewhat wasted for most mid-handicappers. Show me someone who can intentionally create a 5 yard spread between two shots or hit a specified yardage within 5 yards more than 15% of the time and I'll agree that exact yardages would be helpful for them.

I think it is in vogue for people to advocate that rangefinders are a nasty substitute for feel when it reality they compliment eachother. All Handicaps benefit from a rangefinder because their good shots will go an average distance. It's nice that when you hit a good shot it lands where you expect and not long or short.

The wonders of GPS or in my case a rangefinder is to know the distance to the nearest yard...

What did golfers do for 550 years before gps/rangefinders became mainstream? I have and use a gps. It hasn't done anything for my game other than speeding up play. What does it matter if you have the yardage to the yard? You aren't good enough to hit to that specific yard.

If I understand what you guys are saying, the club selection is based on a combination of your average distance with a club combined with your confidence of hitting it that distance given the circumstances of the shot? So if I hit my 7i 140 yards on average at the range and off the fairway, and my ball is 130 yards from the pin in light rough would I be better going with a 6i or 5i which im less consistent with or take what I can get with the 7i?

Depending on the lie and how much club you can get on the ball, you might just be able to hit what's normally your 130 yard club. If you think that you might have trouble hitting the ball normally because of the lie, then club up as much as you think you need but only up to the point where your confidence of pulling the shot off is still much stronger than the chance that you won't hit a good shot (e.g., if you know your 5 iron goes sideways 80% of the time, don't even bother swinging it).

Try to dial in your clubs for a 20 yard range or so for now, you won't really need something tighter until your on-course focus can realistically move towards the shot and situation at hand as opposed to fundamental swing mechanics. That's alone is probably the biggest mindset shift between people who score in the high 90s and above and those who score better. If you can't hit a club reasonably straight or with any confidence more than 30% of the time, don't bother with it for now. Keep practicing and accept the fact that you won't have the right shots in your bag for all situations. Food for thought...given where you stand skill-wise, it might be helpful for you to find one 'money-club' in your bag that you can fall back on in doubtful situations (the 7 or 8 iron are usually popular candidates). There's nothing wrong with 'laying up' from any yardage if you don't feel good about the alternative. Heck, if you average a double on every hole, then 7 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, 2 putt on a 390 yard par four would be an improvement (or at least status quo) with what you're doing now. The added benefit is that you'll be able to play this sequence successfully a much higher percentage of the time (with a better chance of upside) than you would driver-hybrid-wedge.

I think it is in vogue for people to advocate that rangefinders are a nasty substitute for feel when it reality they compliment eachother. All Handicaps benefit from a rangefinder because their good shots will go an average distance. It's nice that when you hit a good shot it lands where you expect and not long or short.

I don't argue the benefits of rangefinders, etc. at all. I just think that it's nice to be able to 'read a course' by looking at it. For me, estimating the yardage with my eyes helps with pre-shot visualization, especially in cases where the shot might not play to its true yardage.

If I'm playing with a guy who's a 14 handicap and based on the yardage markers and my eyeballs (and the fact that it's my home course) can reliably tell him that the required shot is about 150 yards, does it really help him to know that the shot is really 153 or 147?

Sounds like you hit alot like me maybe you skull/shank more often I Just have trouble aiming within 20ft of where I want it to go but the distance is pretty consistant. Heres what I go with
>135 = Wedge
>150 = 9 Iron
150 - 165 = 8i
160-175 = 7i
170-180 = 6 iron
180 - 190 = 5 iron
190+ = 4iron
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

It is simply wrong mathematically to suggest that misjudging yardages does not cost shots. Moreover if you have either the data or information you would notice that it would cost several shots in a given round especially if the error is 5 yards or more which is very possible.

Distance and directional accuracy are the paradigm aim of golf. You shouldn't dilute either.

I happen to believe that people did not manage well before rangefinders and that no one should learn to rely on an inferior method. Moreover what is there to practice or learn from inaccurate markers, difficult to identify pin positions etc. Yardage books and caddy's may be the answer but for most people this isn't the way it worked in practice.

My yardage figures came about a year into my golf game. I took lessons to help me create a swing and that led me to find my yardages. I was most consistent hitting my 7i so that became my base yardage number, it was 150. From that distance I could easily calculate which of my irons to use for a particular shot. It's still not exact but generally with no wind each shorter iron will play 10 yards shorter than the iron above it. And vice versa for irons longer than the 7. It turns out like this:

7i = 150
6i = 160
5i = 170
4i = 180
3i = 190

8i = 140
9i = 130

I hit a little longer today than I did before but generally with a 80% swing these number still stand today, many years later than when I first started.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

I know them real well. when i am out on the course i basically know my 5-iron goes 200 yards, than i just add or subtract 13 yards off that. My gaps in the my clubs are pretty much spot on 13-14 yards between clubs, till i reach the wedges, than they increase to about 15 yards.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You know what, there was a time when I did know all my yardages. Now its all visual, what I mean is that when I hit my balls at the range and then I go out to the course, I can visually see how far the pin is, and i know which club I should use because I know which club can go that far. Its not a very good method, but it hasnt failed me yet. I have forgoten most of my yardages, except my PW and driver. (Pw is my favorite club).

When I would golf, I would definitely slice the ball quite a bit; but I am starting to get that under control somewhat. Thanks to some tips one of the golf coaches mentioned to me. Furthermore, my yardages were lacking too. The more I play now, the better that I notice I am getting. But now, I hit the ball mainly straight and the golf simulator at "Golf Galaxy" measured about 165+ yards. I'm only 14 though; and I began golfing about a month ago or so.

I'm a 22 and I know my yardages. There's a difference between knowing my yardages and executing a good shot though!

For middle handicappers, knowing your yardage is most useful in your partial wedges. In June, I spent an afternoon at the range getting average distances for short, half, three-quarter and full shots for my three wedges.

I broke 90 a couple of times since then: I got up and down several times with short to medium wedges. On other holes, I still got it on and two-putted for a bogie. On full shots, you need a general idea of how far your so-so 7 iron goes, compared to your good 7 iron. If I'm getting decent contact on a day, I won't take as much club as I would when contact isn't so hot. Also, I add or drop a club if there's real danger in front of or behind the green.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!