IGNORED

Best Blade/Tour Irons...Ever?

Cali
Note: This thread is 3301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

These, mainly because they're mine. Golden Ram Tour Grind Axial, Frequency Matched, Precision FM 6.5 shafts at +3/4".  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/68263/] [/URL] Tried and liked lots of different things, mostly blades or similar. These just fit me nicely.

Wow! I had a set of theses Tour Grinds handed down to me from my dad back in the 90's when he bought his BC Ping Eye 2's. still one of my favorite sets of blades I've played. Not nearly as forgiving as today's blades. Nice sticks!

• Upvote 1

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

• 5 months later...
ttp://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id;=151144313316 Saw these just now... no not my auction. Wish I could convince my wife that I need another new set of sticks..

Those are nice to look at. If I wanted something similar to play, I would probably spend the money on something else. For around that money, you could get a decent set of Staffs or Hogans and a couple of real persimmon woods. As for the wife, when you get to a certain point, your golf closet looks like her shoe closet. Then just like I don't notice another pair of shoes, she doesn't notice another club or two.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ttp://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id;=151144313316

Saw these just now... no not my auction. Wish I could convince my wife that I need another new set of sticks..

Those are nice to look at. If I wanted something similar to play, I would probably spend the money on something else. For around that money, you could get a decent set of Staffs or Hogans and a couple of real persimmon woods.

As for the wife, when you get to a certain point, your golf closet looks like her shoe closet. Then just like I don't notice another pair of shoes, she doesn't notice another club or two.

Dang ... only $105??

I've never really thought of getting a nice old set of irons, but it may be kind of fun, especially if they are going to be reasonably priced like that.  I guess I always assumed "antique" clubs like this would go for a lot more.

Are these not of the Staff or Hogan quality of the sam Era? And are these not "real" persimmon? [quote name="dbuck" url="/t/38750/best-blade-tour-irons-ever/120#post_911268"] Those are nice to look at. If I wanted something similar to play, I would probably spend the money on something else. For around that money, you could get a decent set of Staffs or Hogans and a couple of real persimmon woods. As for the wife, when you get to a certain point, your golf closet looks like her shoe closet. Then just like I don't notice another pair of shoes, she doesn't notice another club or two.[/quote]

Are these not of the Staff or Hogan quality of the sam Era? And are these not "real" persimmon?

Sorry to be so long responding. The Wilson "Blue Ridge" clubs were more of a dealer or sporting goods store line as opposed to Wilson Staffs and Hogan Apex and predecessors which were more of a professional line. The Blue Ridge woods were usually laminated maple as opposed to solid persimmon. The perception of most is that the persimmon is a little better, but some of the Staff and Hogan woods were also laminated maple, and some professionals did use laminated. The Blue Ridge irons were probably forged and of better quality than the Wal-mart stuff you see now., and probably had real leather grips. I did not mean to sound like a club snob, which I am not- look at my sig, LOL. Those are nice looking clubs.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Are these not of the Staff or Hogan quality of the sam Era? And are these not "real" persimmon?

These were clubs that were sold in discount stores of the time for a lot less than $100.00.  The Blue Ridge was the cheapest of the Sam Snead store line.  Cheap shafts, bad chrome on irons and the cheapest leather grips available.  Strata-Bloc was the same as ply-wood.  Not the same as a one piece persimmon .  If there were golf forums in those days, one of the topics of which is better ,.  Today, cast v forged not Strata-Bloc v Persimmon

Great info fellas! I did find these exact sentiments among my limited research yesterday. By no means did I take anything personally... Did learn quite a bit in just a few hours of poking around the intrrwebs. [quote name="dbuck" url="/t/38750/best-blade-tour-irons-ever/120#post_911457"] Sorry to be so long responding. The Wilson "Blue Ridge" clubs were more of a dealer or sporting goods store line as opposed to Wilson Staffs and Hogan Apex and predecessors which were more of a professional line. The Blue Ridge woods were usually laminated maple as opposed to solid persimmon. The perception of most is that the persimmon is a little better, but some of the Staff and Hogan woods were also laminated maple, and some professionals did use laminated. The Blue Ridge irons were probably forged and of better quality than the Wal-mart stuff you see now., and probably had real leather grips. I did not mean to sound like a club snob, which I am not- look at my sig, LOL. Those are nice looking clubs.[/quote][quote name="MFrench" url="/t/38750/best-blade-tour-irons-ever/120#post_911458"]These were clubs that were sold in discount stores of the time for a lot less than $100.00.  The Blue Ridge was the cheapest of the Sam Snead store line.  Cheap shafts, bad chrome on irons and the cheapest leather grips available.  Strata-Bloc was the same as ply-wood.  Not the same as a one piece persimmon .  If there were golf forums in those days, one of the topics of which is better ,.  Today, cast v forged not Strata-Bloc v Persimmon [/quote]
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hi there just got a set of Hogan Apex II on the internet for 50 pounds, really good condition for clubs that came out in 79 no wear spots atall and chrome looks good. Fitted with AMF Apex Pro shafts 4, cant wait to try them out have new set of grips ordered for them. Also have a set of Slazenger SB-02 these are almost new really beautiful set but shafts are very soft R300s Have a set of S300 to put into them when i get a chance. Also have a bit of a  Mizuno collection TP 19 and Z's (half a blade) but my favorite set are the Hogan Apex

99s look good and much easier to hit that TP19s.

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/234228/width/400/height/400/flags/] x_proto_irons.jpg [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/234230/width/200/height/200/flags/] Callaway%20Tour%20Authentic%20X-Prototype%20Irons%20ft.jpg [/URL] got to give a nod to my cally's. i think they were priced out of the market when they first came to retail ($1500/set)...but they're the nicest, smoothest, nicest looking and longest blades i've hit. i know not a lot of people have hit em.

Beautiful. What model of cally are they?

Beautiful. What model of cally are they?

tour authentic x prototype irons

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Note: This thread is 3301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!