IGNORED

Comprehensive Camera for Filming your Golf Swing Thread

Harmonious
Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
So is 60fps really fast enough to capture is very smoothly, or is there still some blur involved?

It's the shutter speed that makes for blur, not the frame rate. Regardless, no 60 FPS camera I've ever seen is anywhere near as good as 120 or 240, particularly if you can control the shutter speed.

So basically, one should have a separate camera for capturing high speed and/or hd (is hd even necessary if high speed is the goal)....and a separate nice HD camera for family events and overall life?

The FH25 does HD as well as high speed.

the fh25 is better than the fh20. I think the fh20 is the previous model. One difference I do know of is that the megapixals are lower on the fh20 than the 25

The FH20 was replaced by the FH25.

so the fh-25 is discontinued, right?

No.

There is also the fh-100 out now I think:

Yeah, and it's not bad. Again, you want to control your shutter speed and your framerate and have them show at a good size.

I prefer the FH25 but the FH100 is a reasonable model. I thin it's basically the same camera minus some controls in a pocket size body.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a Kodak Zi8 and really like it. I bought it because it was small enough to fit in my pocket, can record at 60 fps, but more importantly I could use it to easily film family moments etc.

the casios are great, i have the FH10 - it does 210 and 420 as well. the only plus that the small kodaks have is the option for a remote. which is awesome.

Colin P.

the casios are great, i have the FH10 - it does 210 and 420 as well. the only plus that the small kodaks have is the option for a remote. which is awesome.

how is the photo quality? I heard the fh25 is great for doing th slow video, and hd...but photo quality sucks I guess compared to other competitors. That came from steves digicams review.

how is the photo quality? I heard the fh25 is great for doing th slow video, and hd...but photo quality sucks I guess compared to other competitors. That came from steves digicams review.

Il get back to you on the photo quality. I just got mine in the mail and use to have a canon sx10is which is an equal to it as far as price and category. IMO as far as cameras in this price range, you cant really complain about picture quality. Its when you get into the cameras that are slr's and 1,000's of dollars that you can start comparing photo quality. Your not going to notice that much of a difference between two 300 dollar cameras.

what drives me crazy is I can't go buy a 400 video camcorder that shoots 1080p HD, but can't support High Speed video..yet I can go by a point and shoot picture camera that has video modes that supports up to 1000 frames per second.

Also, for any of the video recording on these cameras, are you limited to time? my current point and shoot seems to only record in 1 minute intervals.

giant WTF?

what drives me crazy is I can't go buy a 400 video camcorder that shoots 1080p HD, but can't support High Speed video..yet I can go by a point and shoot picture camera that has video modes that supports up to 1000 frames per second.

you are limited by the amount of space on your memory card. which is another thing. I bought a cheap memory card from walmart awhile back and I dont think that it will allow me to get the best of the video function since its a slower card. Im going to have to get a high speed card, which I think can be a little pricey, around 30-50 bucks

It's the shutter speed that makes for blur, not the frame rate.

Though I think that is a correct statement (I haven't found proof either way), I would say that both shutter speed AND FPS are important. From a practical standpoint, having a 1/10000 sec. shutter speed would really capture the swing without any motion at all, but if the camera only had 2 FPS, you would only get around 3 frames per swing!

I seem to have read that 60 fps is generally accepted as the minimum standard for decent recording of a golf swing. Gary BTW, another aspect to take into account that I learned today the hard way, is that you might want to ensure that your camera can act as a webcam. I have V1 Home Premium (GREAT golf swing analysis software), and decided today to use my PC and the software to set up a mini-swing analysis station, so that I could get some real time feedback as I tested my swing into my net. I learned that my Aiptek camera cannot be used in webcam mode. I was stuck either using my webcam that had 30fps HD, or my other webcam that had 60 fps, but only 340x260 resolution. It is just so much nicer to capture the video right into the software, add some lines and other guides, then split the screen and capture another video to see if the changes made had any effect. Having to download the video first, then open up the software, just takes more time than I would like. My 2 cents Gary Gary

Nakashima HTEC 460 9.5, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 (s)
Speedline 3W, 70-gram Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis
SQ 2 18 Deg. Hybrid, stock stiff graphite
R7 irons, 4-LW, stock stiff steel
White Steel 2-Ball SRT PutterSunMountain MPB bagIGolf Neo

• Administrator
Though I think that is a correct statement (I haven't found proof either way), I would say that both shutter speed AND FPS are important.

That's beside the point. Too many people think "200 FPS" is all they need when in reality that might only require a shutter speed of 1/200th of a second. 1/2000th or 1/4000th is better.

Blur is the result of shutter speed. How many frames you get during a swing is a result of the framerate.
I seem to have read that 60 fps is generally accepted as the minimum standard for decent recording of a golf swing.

Faster if you want to do any detailed analysis. The club can move three or four feet in 1/60th of a second.

Having to download the video first, then open up the software, just takes more time than I would like.

Get one of these:

Very few of the good cameras (i.e. 200 FPS or higher) are useable in webcam mode, so far as I know.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good point Erik. I guess it is up to the user to find a swing detail/price point ratio that is comfortable to them.

My calculations seem to show that for a 105 mph swing speed, there is 2.5 ft of linear clubhead movement per 1/60 of a second, when the swing is at its fastest. This only occurs for a relatively short portion of the swing. I have been able to learn tons of valuable info about my swing at 60 fps. The only points where I feel I lose detail might be the last foot or so of the downswing. The backswing, transition, swing plane, leg movements, head position and movement, etc. are very easy to see and track at 60 fps. Of course this is only my opinion, and YMMV.

Gary

Nakashima HTEC 460 9.5, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 (s)
Speedline 3W, 70-gram Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis
SQ 2 18 Deg. Hybrid, stock stiff graphite
R7 irons, 4-LW, stock stiff steel
White Steel 2-Ball SRT PutterSunMountain MPB bagIGolf Neo

• 3 months later...
Hope this isn't considered thread jacking; but...I'm also thinking of gettin a new camera I'm torn between the casio ex fh25 which for the money seems like the best investment for video and my constant tinkering with my swing, however, I might like to start tinkering with photography (hobby wise) and really like the DSLR's. Is the fh25 enough camera with enough adjustablilty for stills? Price and the high speed video keep bringin me back to the casio. Thanks in advance.

5000 9.5 Graphite deisgn ys6+ stiff
Insight 3 wood stiff
4 hybrid
:I10 3-w AWT Stiff blue dot
X tour 58, 54:VPNXT Tour

• Administrator
Hope this isn't considered thread jacking; but...I'm also thinking of gettin a new camera I'm torn between the casio ex fh25 which for the money seems like the best investment for video and my constant tinkering with my swing, however, I might like to start tinkering with photography (hobby wise) and really like the DSLR's. Is the fh25 enough camera with enough adjustablilty for stills? Price and the high speed video keep bringin me back to the casio. Thanks in advance.

Short answer: no DSLR shoots video at a high enough speed (some do HD but that's irrelevant) for the golf swing, and no high-speed cameras are DSLR-like and can change lenses, etc.

You'll likely need two cameras. It's Christmastime, though, so you know what to ask for and what to buy yourself...

Has anyone used the FH100? Some good deals at the moment and I'm in the market. Seems like FPS is plenty fast and shutter speeds up to 1/2000

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

Thanks iacas...kinda what I thought after a little online research. Sounds like it will probably be the casio if I can talk Santa into it so the DSLR will have to wait. Thanks again.

5000 9.5 Graphite deisgn ys6+ stiff
Insight 3 wood stiff
4 hybrid
:I10 3-w AWT Stiff blue dot
X tour 58, 54:VPNXT Tour

Has anyone used the FH100? Some good deals at the moment and I'm in the market. Seems like FPS is plenty fast and shutter speeds up to 1/2000

I am currently using it, and yes you can adjust shutter speed (when in S mode or M mode on the top dial). In dark conditions you won't have anything useful in 210fps mode but 120fps mode is very good already, albeit for longer clubs you won't see everything since it's not fast enough, you'll need to go to 210fps and thus need bright conditions, but it's MUCH better than the FS10 I used until now at every speed (mainly because the lens has a fast aperture [ƒ3.2], so the lens gathers more light), and the fact that you can manually set the shutter speed is awesome. Highly recommended.

Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!