IGNORED

PGA Fiasco

CalBoomer
Note: This thread is 5001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why wouldn't he expect it? They've been in bunkers all week.

Off topic. What the hell is with all that trash on the course? Cmon people, you're supposed to be fans of the game, how about showing some repect for the course?

Rant over.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fer chrissakes, it's not like his ball landed in someone's sand castle, foot print, etc. He had a good lie. All he had to do was not ground his club. He might have done that if he had read the rules sheet, which made it clear.

I'll disagree with you here. He was the only player that was

caught and penalized this week. I'm willing to be there may have been a number of similar infractions during the tournament that weren't caught by cameras.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Hole, sand, grounded club, penalty. The rules are simple and when in doubt ask.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Erik, at least read my posts before you respond to them. I said over and over that Dustin should have been penalized. Go back and read them. Don't respond by saying I thought he shouldn't be penalized when I said the opposite 4 times. I said he should clearly have been penalized and that he should have read the rule sheet.

I really can't believe you're making the argument "where are they supposed to stand?" NOT IN A HAZARD. This is one point that it seems only you are arguing. Faldo, Fehrety, Nobilo, all guys that know more golf than you and I have all said today that the big mistake the PGA and course officials made was allowing patrons to stand in an area deemed a hazard. Go back and listen to the Dan Patrick show this morning and the interview with David Feherty. He just said this morning that there were many areas on the course with patches of sand and dirt that were not hazards and that guys were grounding their clubs in them. My point is again if that's the case, if you remove all of those people from the hazard, it becomes obvious that it was a bunker. Bottom line, Dustin or his caddy should have asked. But he wouldn't have needed to if he could actually see the hazard that was obstructed by hundreds of people.

The PGA got the call right. They also got it wrong by allowing patrons to stand in a hazard. If there isn't a place to stand, then don't let anyone stand there. Pretty simple. Think of some of the areas you can't stand at Augusta for example. You don't see patrons in the bunkers on 12 at Augusta because they "have no where to stand." You watch the action from where you can stand without impeding on the course. Ridiculous argument.

I have a question for you folks.

There were many errant drives over the four days at the bunker-infested Whistling Straits, and some of them ended up in tightly-packed spectator areas. Just like DJ's drive on 18 in round four.

BUT, none of them was subject to anything like the same, up-close camera coverage that Johnson's was.

Could there be any players who, on reflection, think that they MIGHT have done exactly the same thing as Johnson at some point during the tournament?

Off topic. What the hell is with all that trash on the course? Cmon people, you're supposed to be fans of the game, how about showing some repect for the course?

I think one of the stupid spectators throwing the trash everywhere should have informed johnson that he was standing in a bunker..lol

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

David Ferhety said he couldnt tell if it were a bunker, or a area that spectators had been standing on all week. He said the absence of any lips made him wonder because the course has such a sandy base.

Here's the question I have - where was DJ's ball, exactly, in the bunker. From the pictures posted above and having watched the replay several times, the area that is marked with a circle in the pictures above is not where his ball was. From what I can tell, here is my interpretation:

The red circle is where I think his ball was and the blue line is what I would call the margin of the bunker. It almost looked like his ball was in about a 1x1 foot area that was sand pushed outside the bunker (kid building a sand castle? who knows).

If that area is deemed inside the bunker, no doubt it is a penalty, but I think it was much more vague than that.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

David Ferhety said he couldnt tell if it were a bunker, or a area that spectators had been standing on all week. He said the absence of any lips made him wonder because the course has such a sandy base.

If you're referring to this morning, he said a lot more than that. He definitely said that he saw players hitting off of other sandy portions of the course that were not hazards. I just listened to it. Go back and listen. It doesn't make an excuse for Johnson but it's another good reason to not have patrons standing in the bunker.

• Administrator

Nantz calls it a bunker. The GolfTrax or whatever clearly shows it going into a bunker. It was a bunker. It's not opinion, folks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When DJ got to his ball and grounded his club and then pointed I thought he had called the penalty on himself or was going to get an official. I was like OMG, then I was just hoping it was a waste area. When they questioned it I thought he is done...two strokes.

Once his ball was in the bunker (or even if it was in the rough), the marshalls should have moved the spectators back. I thought the tunnel was just ridiculous and when the caddy went into the crowd I joked that he was trying to protect himself just in case DJ skanked one.

The PGA guy really stressed that the #1 rule was there are no waste areas for the tourney, and I felt that Feherty should have known that as he was stirring everyone up.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I see you guys saying that the fans shouldn't have been in the bunker with him. How is that any different than when a player hits it off line into the rough and people are just feet away from them there?

I see you guys saying that the fans shouldn't have been in the bunker with him. How is that any different than when a player hits it off line into the rough and people are just feet away from them there?

Yes, because the rough is not a hazard.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

If you're talking about an area that is deemed only as rough, it's much different. The bunker is a hazard that has margins that are hard to see with hundreds of people around it. "Rough" is a general term and it can or can't be part of a hazard depending on the course.

I think that they were too close even if he was in the rough.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

The rules were posted and extra emphasis was given to the bunker situation on the course. DJ or his Caddie should have asked for some clarity when the ball landed where it did. It is unfortunate that it played out like that though.
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

Note: This thread is 5001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!