IGNORED

Best iPhone Golf GPS App?

Originally Posted by Yukari

MyCaddie Pro.

It's free, has satellite view, you can mark the courses yourself (takes only about 10 minutes) using your computer, keeps track of all your stats, has "ACTIVE SHOT" feature to see how far you hit a club.

Only uses about 20% (often less) of your iPhone 4 battery per round.  You need iOS 4, which you probably do.  All those negative comments in the app store, I think, are due to not having iOS 4.

Trust me.  For free, you cannot go wrong with this program.  It is great!

I don't like inaccurate yardages even if its free. The iOS 4 doesn't magically make the aGPS accurate, that's probably why the negative comments are there.

• Upvote 1

« Keith »

I have it on my iPad and like the scoring feature best. The aerial view and gps estimated yardages are great for course management and strategy planning however I rely on my bushel v2 pro when I want accurate distances. Overall it is a good deal at $30 and I would reccoment it for the iPad. Not sure if the small screen of the iphone would be workable for me however. The plus side is you don't need to lug around an iPad. But like I said, I use it more for before a round at a new course and not much on the course.

When a company makes a club in the USA I will proudly display their brand here. All of mine were made in china by somebody making $2 a day. Shame on you Mr club manufacture.

I just checked the distance from my bed to the front edge of the 3rd green on my course. Golfshot gives me 40 yards My laser rangefinder indicates 31 yards ( correct ) The little blue dot shows up about in my kitchen and not my bedroom where I am. The discrepancy could be because I am indoors but none the less it is off a bit. B-) Perhaps an outdoor test is in order to be fair since the gps system is satellite based.

When a company makes a club in the USA I will proudly display their brand here. All of mine were made in china by somebody making $2 a day. Shame on you Mr club manufacture.

Originally Posted by Camo

I have it on my iPad and like the scoring feature best. The aerial view and gps estimated yardages are great for course management and strategy planning however I rely on my bushel v2 pro when I want accurate distances.

Overall it is a good deal at $30 and I would reccoment it for the iPad. Not sure if the small screen of the iphone would be workable for me however.

The plus side is you don't need to lug around an iPad. But like I said, I use it more for before a round at a new course and not much on the course.

Not sure why you would need the Golfshot app before the round. Can't imagine taking an iPad onto the course and risk damaging it. I've lost my iPhone when I was trying out the GPS apps and it wasn't fun looking around for it. aGPS is not solely dependent on satellites as I said so its only as accurate as what it can bounce off of so don't bother testing.

« Keith »

If you have another apple device check out the "find iPhone" app.. It uses google maps and will show the location of your iPhone. My wife car was stolen and lucklynher iPad was in it. Using the "find iPhone" app we were aple to tell the highway patrol over the phone the location of her stolen car and they caughtbthe guys in less then 15 minutes. Handy for when you loose your phone on the course also I would imagine. As far as using the golf shot app before the round. Because it is more convenient and providers more relevant information then say google earth or google maps. Once you get to a new course you can buy the course guide from the pro shop, but with golf shot I can check out the course on the plane,airport, hotel or on the way there. As far as risk damaging the iPad during travel .... Mine has been around the world and then some. No damage to report yet.

• 2 months later...

Found one that I didn't see mentioned here.  Not really a full function GPS app, but for $1.99 it's an effective distance measuring tool.  I've been using it to measure distances at the driving range, because the markers never seem right.

It's called DistanceMap, and is really close to what Google Earth with the Ruler function does on a PC.

Allows you to do Point to Point measurements on a satellite image map, or you can do location (GPS) to point distances.  Pretty slick and it works pretty well, although the GPS leaves a bit to be desired.

[edit] This is an iPhone app.  There is an app called DistanceMap in the Android store, but it's not the same thing. [/edit]

[quote name="wrx_junki" url="/forum/thread/39248/best-iphone-golf-gps-app/54#post_559571"]

None

You compared your Golfshot with against which dedicated GPS? I've tried it so am I free to bash? Golfshot is inferior to dedicated GPS. I'm pretty sure I posted somewhere in this thread already about go the iPhone depends on aGPS which lacks accuracy.

I can't speak for aGPS or wrx_junki, but the GPS on my iPhone will occasionally bug out and think I'm up to 40 yards away from where I'm really at.  This normally happens when I don't have a strong GPS signal.  Even with a strong GPS signal, I've had it be 5-10 yards off.  The app I'm using puts a dot on a satellite map, so I can usually figure out if it has me in the right place.

Thanks for the heads-up on this app!

I always go to the back side of my range, where the distances to the flags aren't marked. Now I know.

I can imagine using it for other purposes, too. (For instance, in my work as a real estate appraiser.)

Originally Posted by Unkynd

Found one that I didn't see mentioned here.  Not really a full function GPS app, but for $1.99 it's an effective distance measuring tool.  I've been using it to measure distances at the driving range, because the markers never seem right.

It's called DistanceMap, and is really close to what Google Earth with the Ruler function does on a PC.

Allows you to do Point to Point measurements on a satellite image map, or you can do location (GPS) to point distances.  Pretty slick and it works pretty well, although the GPS leaves a bit to be desired.

[edit] This is an iPhone app.  There is an app called DistanceMap in the Android store, but it's not the same thing. [/edit]

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this on the Driod App thread, but it applies equally to the iPhone.  I've used the same apps on both.

I've tried a few, GolfCard is by far my favorite.  GolfCard is 9.99 i think, and there is a smaller fee to get an account on ushandicap.  Golfcard does everything, tracks shots, distances (with club and swing strength), etc.  The reason i went back to golfcard after a brief trial with golflogix is that with golfcard you can get a satellite view of the course and easily get the distance to any spot.  So i can touch where the pin is on the green and get a much more accurate idea of how far I have to go.  Or i can touch the bunker and I know what I need to clear it.

I liked the putt tracking on golflogix better, though.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Tugglife2

You guys talking about the Golf Shot app that's $29.99? Pretty expensive for an app...

lol

Well, have fun spending $300 on a rangefinder. When you can get something that probably is more accurate IMO, for $30

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Golf Shot GPS. Have been using it all year for the GPS features and have been using it as a score card. It is a great app in my opinion.

Taylormade R11 Driver

Taylormade Superfast 5W

Taylormade Superfast 2.0 #4 21* hybrid

Callaway Razr X #5 24* hybrid

Titleist CB 712 irons

Titleist Vokey 54* & 58* Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Del Mar

GolfShot GPS.  I've been using it for two years now and love it.  With the latest updates it is even more useful for me.  I've only noted a couple of times where I've had issues with it being off yardage, and it was always when I had turned the phone off instead of putting it on standby and needed to wait another few seconds for a fix and did not.  Can't beat it for the price.

And I'm sorry, but saying "aGPS isn't as accurate as stand alone GPS" simply shows a lack of understanding of aGPS.  It is also important to note that accuracy will depend on WHICH iPhone you are using (if we are talking iPhones).  Obviously the latest versions have the best accuracy.

I use Golfshot GPS on my iPhone 4.  It is the best app in my opinion based on ease of use and accuracy it provides.

In the past, I carried a Bushnell laser range finder, but the challenge I had was shaky hands - and not getting a consistent reading.  I'm sure it was mainly user error, but it was so bad, that I stopped using it.

I will say that before I bought the Golfshot app... I was eyeing the SkyCaddie GPS , but didn't like the price and annual fees to receive map/course updates.  So being that I had an iPhone, I did research and felt the $30 for the Golfshot app was worth the try.  I'm thrilled with the decision I made, and love the fact that I get unlimited free updates, with no additional membership fees.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades