IGNORED

Anybody want to buy a country club?

Note: This thread is 3949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thats really cheap. The problem with golf courses is that you can't pick them up and move them to a place where it will actually make money.

They are all significantly up hill.

Yeah... but we all average 300 off the tee. :p

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah... but we all average 300 off the tee. :p

Except for the really big hitters like Sean Miller. He probably averages 330. That is why he needs a course over 7000 yards.

I have it on good authority that Sean is really Bubba Watson masquerading as a silly Canadian.

Except for the really big hitters like Sean Miller.

I actually only average 199.99 yards off the tee but luckily I can hit every club in the bag 10-12 feet from the pin - including driver off the deck. It's those darned 4 putts that kill my scores!!

Except for the really big hitters like Sean Miller. He probably averages 330. That is why he needs a course over 7000 yards.

Wouldn't surprise me....

Pretty funny - I've seen your driving yardages in your blog. A lot of 290+ bombs in there and you're playing at ~ sea level.

I was mainly talking about the Bubba Watson/silly Canadian part.

I hit some bombs but they are definitely offset by poor drives. I don't put every hole in my blog posts, mostly the good holes, and mostly the good drives. I don't think I have ever blogged about hitting a 220 yard tee shot, but I have hit my fair share. I would never claim to average 290+. Back to the topic though?

Back to the topic though?

If I had 1.2 million dollars I'd consider getting a season's pass for Pebble Beach and airfare to play every Wednesday morning, just to break up the week. Hey, that's a realistic as buying a country club.

I actually only average 199.99 yards off the tee but luckily I can hit every club in the bag 10-12 feet from the pin - including driver off the deck. It's those darned 4 putts that kill my scores!!

I don't know Sean... you're at 2200 feet give or take... come out here to sea level where IRL a 260 yard drive is as good as 300 and as good as 330 on the internet

and I would buy a country club... funds permitting of course, but I would then need the funds to hire Tom Fazio or Rees Jones to make they type of course that I like.

Took a look at the score card. Looks like a misprint for hole pars (men) on the Back Nine:

From Blues: Two holes listed as Par 5 are #14 @ 413 yds. & #17 @ 404 yds. (??)
................Two holes listed as Par 4 are #16 @ 479 yds. & #18 @ 492 yds. (??)

Does this indicate unfocused management team?

============================

If I had $1.2 Mm - which I don't - I would want to look at some things:
* How well are the greens constructed? Any rebuilds looming?
* How well are the tee-boxes constructed? Any rebuilds or expansions needed?
* What's the overall condition of the turf grass and the watering system. I noticed there's no large lake for storing rainwater... what are irrigation bills for dry spells.
* Does it have a true clubhouse, or just a pro shop and snack bar?

I've talked to people who have worked on building new golf courses, and they say you can't cut corners during basic construction. If you do, a lot of rebuild is needed a few years after opening, right when you should hitting the profit point on the investment.

http://www.mahanmanor.com/

that place was sold not too long ago here in KY for somewhere around 1.2 million dollars.

Actually a pretty nice course for 9 holes and a lot of land to add in 9 or even 18 more. I think it was originally built for upwards of 5 million so the new owner got a steal as its still relatively new.

Wow. That's a pretty nice looking course and the rates are quite reasonable. If I read it correctly, you can play 18 holes with a cart, a Skycaddie and some range balls - on the weekend - for less than $50. Not too shabby.

Indeed...a very good deal. One of the great parts about being a golfer in my area...all the rates are relatively cheap and the courses are still well maintained.

Coolest thing about that Mahan Manor course is that you can go play a course that J.B. Holmes and John Daly played and do it for less than 40 bucks if you really wanted to. Not the greatest accomplishment in the world, but its still pretty cool to do.

Note: This thread is 3949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!