IGNORED

Where Are Those 300 Yard Videos?

Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

most measurements are made from the back of the tee box unless there is a marker at the tee box.

So if the yardage says 480 for a par five and the tees are 30 yards up from the back fo the tee box, you can take off 30 yards right there.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most measurements are made from the back of the tee box unless there is a marker at the tee box.

Most have a marker. Most are accurate. Some are not. If someone is unlucky enough to mostly play the courses that aren't accurate, that would likely taint their opinion of all courses.

And driving range markers and flags? That's what a rangefinder is for - even though range balls don't fly as far past somewhere between ~ 100 to 150 yards depending on how old they are.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If this is the only measure you have for your supposed 300 yard drive then you have no evidence at all. It's been proven over and over than you simply cannot base the length of your tee shot on the course markings, scorecard distances, etc. Yesterday I had 245 yards left to the center of the green on a 520 yard par 5 (verified by GPS and laser, and matched up with the 250 yard marker in the fairway). My drive was GPS measured at 255 yards. Do the math... what happened to that extra 20 yards? If I had measured like you do I'd be claiming a 275 yard drive.

The fairway markers and score card are "reliable" on my home course too. They just don't translate in to real numbers unless you precisely follow the same route that the hole was measured by.
Completely agree on the yardage issue-I've been pacing off yardage from the markers since I learned to play. Whenever the course has GPS or my playing partner has GPS I compare it with the markers. They're almost always accurate within 1-3 yds-on a couple holes on a couple occasions a marker has been off 10 yds. But statements that course markers are always unreliable and can't be trusted at all don't match up with my experience.

The markers are quite often accurate to the green, but have little relationship to the TEE. That is where the error comes in, even on a straight hole. And add any bend to the hole and you toss the so-called measurement right out the window.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

You make a good point which is why all of my yardages are measured by GPS...(golflogix).

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

If this is the only measure you have for your supposed 300 yard drive then you have no evidence at all.

First and foremost, I'll agree with you that determining yardage from the tee by the course marker is hardly concrete. But come on man...

Supposed 300 yard drive? I play to a 2.1, and have been playing for almost 20 years. I've used GPS, I've used golflogics, and I know my launch characteristics, too. Care for those? (113 mph, 165+ mph, 12.3 degrees and 2780 RPM). Pacing off yardage is simply what I'm used to from years of playing. Do you really want other yardages? Feel free to doubt that I hit my PW 150, my 7 iron 185 and my 16* hybrid 260, too. I thought point of this thread what to talk about and share swings that can generate 300 yard drives. Not argue the semantics of "average," dispute the accuracy and metrics of measurement, or analyze the credibility of golfers on the forum. I don't get the skepticism. What do you really have to gain?

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I don't get the skepticism. What do you really have to gain?

An extra shot per nine if they ever have the stones to play you for $100 three ways. Don't give it to them.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Considering most pro's don't hit it 300 yards I can't understand why people get a chubby by claiming they hit it far.

Yea I just did a google maps of my driving range and interestingly a 256 yard drive would actually hit anybody that was standing on the 2nd hole tee box.

A 300 yard drive would put the ball in places I have never seen range balls before.

Supposed 300 yard drive? I play to a 2.1, and have been playing for almost 20 years. I've used GPS, I've used golflogics, and I know my launch characteristics, too. Care for those? (113 mph, 165+ mph, 12.3 degrees and 2780 RPM). Pacing off yardage is simply what I'm used to from years of playing.

In the post I quoted, you said nothing about using accepted accurate measurement techniques. All you said was that you paced off yardages. Since that is proven to be woefully inaccurate, I commented on it. And this thread is supposed to be for posting

video of those 300 yard swings, not about unverifiable verbal claims. By the way, I know quite a few low single digit handicapppers who don't even average 300 yards here in Denver, but they still shoot lights out. It isn't all about 300 yard drives and 150 yard pitching wedges. It's about knowing how far you hit each club and being able to do so when needed.

Rick

I love the coil/lag and your backswing, which is very unrushed. Nice

Wish it were my swing. He's a buddy of mine that I play with and he averages 270-280 with driver. I've yet to see any 10+ handicap produce anything remotely close.

« Keith »

In the post I quoted, you said nothing about using accepted accurate measurement techniques. All you said was that you paced off yardages. Since that is proven to be woefully inaccurate, I commented on it. And this thread is supposed to be for posting

Nothing in there that I disagree with. And I did post a video, on page 6.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

It isn't all about 300 yard drives . . .

This thread is though.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Nothing in there that I disagree with. And I did post a video, on page 6.

I admit that I didn't read all 14 pages, and I probably couldn't tell a 300 yard swing from a 270 yard swing. Just wish that I possessed either one.

Rick

I admit that I didn't read all 14 pages, and I probably couldn't tell a 300 yard swing from a 270 yard swing. Just wish that I possessed either one.

I wish I could hit my PW within 10 feet and lag putt to 2' every time :). 3-putt pars are pretty embarrassing.

I wish I could hit my PW within 10 feet and lag putt to 2' every time :). 3-putt pars are pretty embarrassing.

3 putt pars are AWESOME. I had one of the most embarassing 3 putt pars a few weeks ago while golfing with some coworkers.short par 4, downhill, hit the perfect drive, slammed it to the green with a 20ft putt or so.

They were screaming and hollering at my drive and patted me in the back...felt like the coolest dude ever. First putt I hit it short of pin like 4 ft...Figured, hey I'll take a birdie. Second putt I pushed my putt slightly and the ball went zooming past 3 ft barely touching the lip. three putt for par... coworkers looked at me like I just hit a quad bogey or something.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Playing in the club championship over the weekend.... one of the guys I played with on Saturday was holing putts from all over the place. He made 4 putts from more than 15 feet on the front 9 (2 birdies, 2 pars), and a 30 footer on #12 for a par. Then we come to 16... he's 8 feet for birdie... and he 4 putts for a double. Still shoots 79.

Sometimes the game makes no sense at all. And I'm not sure that he ever hit a 300 yard drive in his life.

Rick

thats were my dad would go, Nice Drive Matt ;b

I hate three putts, don't happen often, but man does that just piss me off. Almost as much as when i duff a chip, i hate that to. Other than that, i am cool. Like when i was in 3 iron range of the green on a par 5 after a perfect tee shot, i topped it down the fairway about 100 yards, first thing i say, "Strategic Layup, just as i planned it"

No need to get pissed, likely hood of me hitting the green with a 3-iron is low, so i would be needing to get up and down for birdie anyway, might as well hit a short iron than a chip.

Just things you learn to deal with ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

By the way, I know quite a few low single digit handicapppers who don't even average 300 yards here in Denver, but they still shoot lights out. It isn't all about 300 yard drives and 150 yard pitching wedges. It's about knowing how far you hit each club and being able to do so when needed.

You just summed up the thread and what it was really supposed to be. If Bubba Watson came on here he would get ran out of here because people would tell him that he makes a mockery of golf by hitting massive bombs that hook or slice 30 yards and if he was a REAL golfer he would work on hitting straight shots and hit more fairways and greens. Not to say that Bubba couldn't be a better player if he played more straight up but, this is a distance thread, or is was supposed to be.

This is a thread that is meant to fish in those who say they hit the ball 300yds + no matter whether it's once a summer, once a round or everytime the pick up a driver and tell them they are liars and how terrible they are by those who have never seen a ball go that far before so it MUST not be true.

Completely agree on the yardage issue-I've been pacing off yardage from the markers since I learned to play. Whenever the course has GPS or my playing partner has GPS I compare it with the markers. They're almost always accurate within 1-3 yds-on a couple holes on a couple occasions a marker has been off 10 yds. But statements that course markers are always unreliable and can't be trusted at all don't match up with my experience.

We're talking about using the yardage markers to measure drives, not to the center of the green. They are very accurate to the center of the

green . Where they fail, is measuring from the tee .

Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!