IGNORED

Where Are Those 300 Yard Videos?

Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well Bubba is bubba man, the guy is a freak. I never seen anyone hit the ball accurately while having his front foot move in the finish, he's nuts. I would be scared if he hit a straight ball, probably hit it 370 in the air all the time, but i think they said that he mentioned he liked to work the ball. So all the power to him.

There is no way to tell a 300 yard swing from a 250 yard swing. The reason, we can't see the impact position. I know a guy in my league who you wouldn't think he could hit the ball as far as he does, he just cracks it out there 240, while other guys have more fundemental sound swings and can barely get to 210. Never judge a book by its cover.

FYI, i purposely back down on my driver swing, usually getting 260 carry so i can keep it in play. If i am really feeling good, i can purposely take the club back lower and try to get my left arm straighter feeling my left hand pushing the butt of the club away from my arm, hinging more. If i time one up there, i can nock it out there over 300 yard carry, i don't do it because i have been known to knock it out there over 300 were i cant find it.

Though i might try it this week, the par 5 on the front has no trouble at all for my length, its fun to do. ;)

I will try to get the video up this week though, i got a few league nights i can sneak my phone out on my bag and take a vid of it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As the OP, let me step back in here. My original intent of the thread was to prod those high handicappers who made outrageous distance claims to "put up or shut up". So far none of them has come forward. What has been good to see is the number of really good swings being made by the low handicappers. I have no doubts that any one of those swings could produce a 300 yarder every so often.

This thread wasn't meant to be yet another discussion of the importance of distance, but only for those who claim it to prove it. I thought about posting my swing, with the comment that "This is what a measly 250 yard swing looks like", but I would only be embarassed, after seeing the good swings posted here by others.

As the OP, let me step back in here. My original intent of the thread was to prod those high handicappers who made outrageous distance claims to "put up or shut up". So far none of them has come forward. What has been good to see is the number of really good swings being made by the low handicappers. I have no doubts that any one of those swings could produce a 300 yarder every so often.

Haha, I'm with you. I was going to post my swing, but I only hit it 285 on a good smash, with my ultra low spin head and high kick X shaft, and despite my really low swing speed of 110 mph, my average drive is actually fairly short, about 246 yards, because I somehow don't catch the dead center of the club perfectly every time like everyone here. Funny that, eh?

But then again, we're at sea level, right? We could be driving it 350 in Denver I bet. Oh well.

I hit a higher ball these days with the driver. All the stuff about higher altitude is right - why not take advantage of a longer carry?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't see what the big deal is, even with my crappy swing I can get it out there in the 300 range a couple times a round. most drives are probably 250-270, which is short these days, IMO. The people in this thread who think a 200yd or so drive is normal, you are crazy. That is extremely short. But most of us are short hitters, admit it and get over it.

Wait is 300 yards good? I thought taht was just average? I'll get you one soon, I keep hitting the ball to the fence of my driving range. I figured tour players carry the ball well over 300 yds

In the Bag:
Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2
Fairway wood: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2 4 wood
Hybrid: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2
Irons: some type of generic imitation, will look asapSand Wedge: Nike

I don't see what the big deal is, even with my crappy swing I can get it out there in the 300 range a couple times a round. most drives are probably 250-270, which is short these days, IMO. The people in this thread who think a 200yd or so drive is normal, you are crazy. That is extremely short. But most of us are short hitters, admit it and get over it.

240 Yards is a big-ish drive for me.

I think 200-210 is normal over here, I don't understand how you can only be off 10 if you crank them out there so far. Are you playing on courses with 450 yard par 4's?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I'm in texas and typically play by myself, I didn't realize I was such a big hitter. WHere can I post a video, I will get one within the next two weeks. How do I properly videotape it cause the ball takes off pretty quick? Can you guys give me tips for recording my shot?

In the Bag:

I'm in texas and typically play by myself, I didn't realize I was such a big hitter. WHere can I post a video, I will get one within the next two weeks. How do I properly videotape it cause the ball takes off pretty quick? Can you guys give me tips for recording my shot?

You'd better phone somebody at NASA.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

lulz. i am being serious. I am not a fantastic golfer (my short game is horrible), but my ball striking is pretty good.

In the Bag:

lulz. i am being serious. I am not a fantastic golfer (my short game is horrible), but my ball striking is pretty good.

we have a challenger here folks.

video plz. whiel i believe a 10 or so handicapper is capable of driving it a good ways, i'm nto sure abotu 20 handicappers driving 300...

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

give me a week or two. I'll get you guys a video of this. It's not that hard, I am not even that tall (5'9") Is 300 yards really that good?

In the Bag:

give me a week or two. I'll get you guys a video of this. It's not that hard, I am not even that tall (5'9") Is 300 yards really that good?

You tell me...you're telling us that at 20 handicap, your drive is on par with the likes of long distance pro golfers...? you must really suck at putting lol.

No way, they can carry like 360 right? If its such a big deal, I really wish my short game didn't suck so much.

In the Bag:

No way, they can carry like 360 right?

No. thats not an average...yes, some can and do drive 360 but thats not an average.

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?317 Robert Garrigus, the top driver on tour...hits 299 average... For someone to be driving 300, you have to have quite a bit of swing speed and a sound swing that makes sense. I can believe a 10 handicap to be able to drive quite a bit since its possible their swing is well aligned...but a 20 handicap? Kind of a stretch.

alright, I'll get a video within the month. I am moving this week, then going back home, so I'll get someone to record me friday.

In the Bag:

If your short game sucks that bad, you can't drive it 300 yards. Short game is all about fundamentals. Most of us can throw a basketball well enough to at least get it to contact the rim. The same is true of golf. If your swing fundamentals are good enough to solidly strike a driver that consistently, then you should be able to easily lob a ball onto the green, and putt it into the hole.

Short game and putting are the biggest cop outs. I don't know a single player with an amazing full swing who can't chip or putt to save their lives. It just doesn't exist. If a person has a great forward shaft lean and a great plane, how the hell can they possibly screw up the short game so badly? It's just not feasible. Again, it could be, but in my 20 years of playing, I've not once seen it.

Well I will record me driving the ball as far as I can and it'll prove you wrong (with regard to not meeting someone who can hit the ball but has a bad short game. I have spent the past 6 months working on my ball striking and have neglected my short game. I have been a horrible putter, but am improving, I am averaging two putts a hole (down from 3 putts). My problem with my short game is that I never practice it and often misjudge the shot, usually dropping the ball past where it needs to go). Guess I'll go practice my chipping right now.

In the Bag:

Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!