IGNORED

Tournament Flighting

folker
Note: This thread is 3237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How does you club flight your club championship or invitational? Do they use your index or first day score? Mine uses first day score so it becomes a guessing game and sandbagging contest.
Driver: Burner 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha 15*
Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19*
Irons: r7 4-PW
Wedges: CG 12 52* CG 12 56*Putter: White Hot Tour #1

Mine does it by course handicap. 7 and under is championship flight, 8-13 is A, and so on.... Since we all play the same tees on the first day, a player from a lower flight also has the option of ditching their flight after the first round and play for the championship if they choose. But they forfeit the flight they came from, and we play all the way back on day 2. It will often occur that somebody from the A flight posts a good first round, and prefers to take his chances for the big trophy.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Ours is flighted by course index:

A - 0 - 9
B - 10 - 18
C - 19+

In my opinion, this is a bit too wide open. Is a 9 index really going to beat a 1 handicap without strokes over 54 holes? Statistically its almost impossible. Once you factor in the notion of playing against a whole field, there's really not much motivation for a 9 to enter the tourney outside of setting some kind of personal goal.

A better break down would be:

0 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 16
16 - 20
20 +

Personally, I wouldn't care if there were fewer people in my flight if I had a legit shot at winning it.

Ours is a pretty drawn out tournament. 36-holes of stroke play that can be played at anytime up to a certain deadline (Aug 14th this year). The stroke play rounds must be declared before playing and must be witnessed.

Then players are flighted into groups of eight. The lowest eight 36-hole totals are the championship flight, the next eight are the B flight etc... Then it is single elimination, match play.

My equipment:

Driver - Callaway FT3 Fusion (9 degree)
3 Wood - Orlimar Tri-Metal (9 degree)
Hybrids - Bobby Jones (17, 21 & 25 degree)

Irons - KZG XCB 5 - PW

Wedges - Warrior (52 & 56 degree)

Putter - STX Envision

Ball of choice - Callaway TOUR i(s)

How does you club flight your club championship or invitational? Do they use your index or first day score? Mine uses first day score so it becomes a guessing game and sandbagging contest.

I never understood the sandbagging. I'd rather come in 8th in the championship flight than win the next flight.

• Upvote 1

My equipment:

Driver - Callaway FT3 Fusion (9 degree)
3 Wood - Orlimar Tri-Metal (9 degree)
Hybrids - Bobby Jones (17, 21 & 25 degree)

Irons - KZG XCB 5 - PW

Wedges - Warrior (52 & 56 degree)

Putter - STX Envision

Ball of choice - Callaway TOUR i(s)

My club awards prizes for 1st through 4th in each flight. The prizes are the same for each flight. So financially it is more appealing for some guys to finish 1st in a lower flight than last in the flight they should be in. It screws the whole tournament up IMO and discourages guys that shoot in the high 90s from entering because they don't think they have a chance and for the most part they are right.
Driver: Burner 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha 15*
Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19*
Irons: r7 4-PW
Wedges: CG 12 52* CG 12 56*Putter: White Hot Tour #1

The course I play at here in Arkansas goes by course handicap. If I remember correctly, the Championship Flight is 5 and under.

The course I play in Houston has a qualifying tournament that is flighted by course handicap. I've never played in it, but I know at a 4.0 index I'd probably be in the 4th flight at best if not in the 5th flight. Scratch players arer usually in the 2nd or 3rd flight. The top finishers regardless of flight then play in the "real" Club Championship a few weeks later.

• 4 years later...

I am hosting a tournament in the next 2 weeks. We have an overall gross score trophy and more price money compare to the flight A & B Winner. The flighting i am using a net score but the overall I am using Gross Score.

My flighting system is 15 up and down. During the registration process, we are asking each player their handicap and we use that information to put them in the right flight.

Our club manager told me that, count all the players with NET to determine the winner for the flighting and also count gross score for each players for the overall winner.

He came up with 2 method which is pretty fair for me.

1. We have 40 players. He told me to brackets each player evenly. Meaning. after we find the net score, we neet to sort the net score start from the lowest to the highest net score. Player # 1 is the winner for Flight A and Player # 21 is the winner of Flight B.

2. Subtract the number of the highest net score with Lowest Net Score and divide by 2. Who ever net score closest to that numbe ris the winner of Flight B.

I need some input for this two method.

Thanks

How does you club flight your club championship or invitational? Do they use your index or first day score?

Three day stroke play event.  Flighted based on the first two days total.  Some will play loosely the first two days in order to be in a flight that they might win.  Most have enough pride to prefer recording the lowest three day total possible.  Since the prizes are limited in scope, the winner of the 6th flight isn't getting much other than the embarrassment of shooting 87 / 88 / 76.

As vct33 stated, better to compete in a higher flight and lose than intentionally play poorly.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Championship flight  0-6

A flight                      7-9

B flight                     10-12

C flight                     13-16

D flight                     17-22

E flight                     23- - -

Course handicap. You play in the flight that coincides with your handicap on the day you are qualifying (three day window; must play with somebody else who is qualifying). The top 15 and the defending champ qualify for match play in the Championship flight. The top 8 qualify for match play in the other flights. People qualifying for Championship flight must play from the tips. Anybody with a higher handicap who tries to qualify for Championship flight from the tips and doesn't make it, but their score is in the top 8 of the flight that coincides with their handicap, they still qualify for that flight.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Darn. When I clicked the thread, I thought the title was "Tournament Fighting". :-D

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!