IGNORED

I had a crazy long drive yesterday, but I don’t see how its possible...

bwell
Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have done the following on more than one occasion. When someone drives over a hill to a blind fairway without looking (or listening for the bell or whatever) to ensure it's clear, they can drive into another group. Not so much malice as ingnorance. Anyway, instead of hitting the ball back, I pitched it another 100 yards down the fairway. They're probably still wondering how they did it - buying all sorts of new equipment and lessons trying to duplicate that one miracle shot. Good times.

I was also thinking this was a possibility.

And that marshmallow thing is priceless. I am going to try that one in the near future.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

I have done the following on more than one occasion. When someone drives over a hill to a blind fairway without looking (or listening for the bell or whatever) to ensure it's clear, they can drive into another group. Not so much malice as ingnorance. Anyway, instead of hitting the ball back, I pitched it another 100 yards down the fairway. They're probably still wondering how they did it - buying all sorts of new equipment and lessons trying to duplicate that one miracle shot. Good times.

The thing is there was no one ahead of us, we were the first people to head out after a league...

Bag:sunmountain.gif MPB
Driver: cleveland.gif XLS 10.5 *
Fairway wood:nike.gif SQ DYMO2 3 wood
Irons: ping.gif G10's 4-pw
Wedge: vokey.gif Spin milled 54* and 60*Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot XG

Hey can you post a video of your swing that produced a ball to go that far? Must be nice to be able to crush it even remote close.

Its not a good swing check out my hc... I dont know what happened.

Hey can you post a video of your swing that produced a ball to go that far? Must be nice to be able to crush it even remote close.

WTF? Did you see him ANYWHERE claim that he could repeat that? I get real tired of the guys on this site bashing someone who's posted an achievement just because they've never done it. Why you think you're being funny or clever with your post is beyond me.

I hit a drive 310 yards on Sunday. It's my career long drive. It came during a scramble with my partner in the fairway. I swung all out. I probably looked like a gorilla doing it and the swing I made didn't resemble a golf swing at all. Want to see a video of that? I can't repeat it. Neither can the OP. He wasn't claiming it's his average drive. He hit a bomb and was looking for possible explanations he may have not thought of (like what sean_miller posted). Nobody's asking you if you believe him. Get over yourself. CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

very good job.. I some times the golf goods are on your side.. I now about a month ago, I was walking with my Daughter and hit a drive I thoguht was nice.. ended up being around 345..LOL

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

bwell, how did you arrive at the "about 380" figure in your post? Was this GPS-measured, or based on a calculation involving the hole's length and the distance you ended up from the green? If it's the former, then I would suspect maybe some kind of crazy cart-path bounce, or you hit the exact right spot on a hard fairway and it bounced/rolled forever. If it's the latter, then I'd suspect the course measurements played a trick on you, and it was actually a realistic crushed drive, rather than a ridiculous WTF drive.

-Andrew

Just make sure that the next time there is a "How Far Can You Drive the Ball?" thread, you reply with, "I can hit it 380 yards. Seriously."

Driver: 4DX SuperMag 10.5º
Fairway Wood: 4DX 3-Wood
Hybrids: 5DX 3, 4
Irons: 4DX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Arc 52º, 54º, VR 58ºPutter(s): SeeMore FGP OriginalBag: Org.14 Xtreme

A squirrel must have carried it the last 180 yards.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Twice in the last week I've hit the ball excessively long, 75ish & 90ish yards, and each time I had unknowingly hit a draw (pulled?) down the left side with a lot of roll; my usual ball flight is a fade 190 to220 yards, and a slice if I lean on it. It surprised me more than my squad mates; I wish I could do that on demand.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I had the longest drive of my life this summer, unfortunately I know I will never be able to reproduce that shot. Par 4 480 yards, no matter what I have tried I have never reached this green in two strokes, this time I ended less than 100, yards from the green with my tee shot. The big secret, slight tailwind, big swing (which tends to produce a slice as I get too fast), and eight lanes of concrete. The ball landed on the very edge of the major highway that runs down the edge of the fairway by just inches, it then bounced across all four lanes of traffic with out hitting any vehicles, two center turn lanes and both shoulders that are extra wide at slight angle which allowed it to gain an extra 150 yards of roll. The worst part of the whole thing it was not the fact that I had hit it out of bounds but there were at least two dozen balls that were up to 30 yards farther than my ball in that ditch and none shorter so I am still a short hitter by the standards of the players at this course. But I can now claim I put it out there over 300 yards when my swing is on, so I fit right in on the internet forums. My biggest regret is that I didn't measure the exact distance with my SG5 but will next time I play the course as it stopped right next to the culvert in the ditch.

In regards to OPs shot I am betting first bounce off sprinkler head, I've done this and it is amazing the roll out you get when the grass is short and dry.
ogio.gifedge bag
titleist.gifdriver 10.5* 907D1, 15* 906f2, 18* 906f2
wilson_staff.gif21* hybrid, 3-PW PI7, TW9 wedges
wilson_staff.gif: 8802, 8813, or Arnold Palmer Original
wilson_staff.gifX1 or 50

WTF? Did you see him ANYWHERE claim that he could repeat that? I get real tired of the guys on this site bashing someone who's posted an achievement just because they've never done it. Why you think you're being funny or clever with your post is beyond me.

Dude chill out... Where do you see me bashing him? I know he doesn't average 300 yards but he definitely could have a freakish swing originating from baseball or something where if he gets good contact can poke it pretty far. Don't get so worked up over the internet.

« Keith »

bwell, how did you arrive at the "about 380" figure in your post? Was this GPS-measured, or based on a calculation involving the hole's length and the distance you ended up from the green? If it's the former, then I would suspect maybe some kind of crazy cart-path bounce, or you hit the exact right spot on a hard fairway and it bounced/rolled forever. If it's the latter, then I'd suspect the course measurements played a trick on you, and it was actually a realistic crushed drive, rather than a ridiculous WTF drive.

No GPS but from the score card it said it was 518 to the green, and when I got to the ball I just had to use my 9i to put it on... So I just used that to kind of guess as to how far it went.

There are no cart paths going through the fairway, because thats what I thought would have happened.

I would bet it's 3 things, then:

1) You really connected with that ball.

2) You hit a good spot on the fairway, and got great bounce/roll.

3) The measurement includes a dogleg you cut off, the tees weren't as far back as usual, the measurement may actually be wrong, etc., meaning subtracting the distance remaning from the "total distance" gave you 380, but in reality your ball didn't go that far.

It could be any combination of those things. Either way, congrats. I don't mean to diminish what must have been a great swing.

-Andrew

No GPS but from the score card it said it was 518 to the green, and when I got to the ball I just had to use my 9i to put it on... So I just used that to kind of guess as to how far it went.

No GPS? So it could have been > 400 yards? Cool.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I play in a league with some old guys. One of them popped a drive maybe 200 in the air over a hill. I was in the group ahead, but had walked back up a bit to look for a lost ball (we were waiting). OK, so here comes the guy's drive....BOINK! onto the lid of a sprinkler control box, sideways and down on to the cart path... BOINK! followed by BOINK! off the inside edge of the curb and *back* into the fairway, followed by some rollout. Total distance from tees probably 290-320. When I waved him down to get his ball in the middle of the fairway he could not believe it.

But that kind of thing can happen.

I tried an aggressive angle over a water hazard (red) and pulled it left (white). I *almost* cleared the lake/pond, but instead hit the rock pile that made up the bank. BOINK! Over the green and into the back sand trap. 3xx yards, all of it comedy.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

lol that's what we did, after he hit his shot to the green we turned around looking for my ball... Morons were leaving marshmallows all over the course to mess with people so we thought my ball that was up there was a marshmallow lol.

Thats wierd there was someone throwing marshmallows all over the course I played this weekend to wierd...

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

A 380 drive without crazy bounce or roll would have to carry like 350 or more? I don't think that's possible to do with a crazy, lucky swing. Maybe 250 or even 275 but I think to carry that far enough for a "legit" 380 yard drive, you need good technique, special equipment, lots of practice, etc. It must've been a sprinkler head, somebody messing with you, wrong ball or something like that.

Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!