IGNORED

Deutsche Bank - Miller Analysis of Woods

nevets88
Note: This thread is 4987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Camera angles are slightly different - 3W is from a lower angle - and the left one is a ball on the ground (basically) with a 3W versus a ball teed up with a driver, so some minor differences there - namely in how far forward Tiger will have to get, which will affect when his right heel is pulled off the ground.

- Less rotation of #3 to keep the clubface a bit squarer.

- Hands deeper, though nowhere near as much as he'll get to.

- Right knee straightening more.

- Position at the top will not require as much of a "drop into the slot" move nor as much right shoulder.

- Club exits a bit higher which is not only indicative of a better path but a bit less of the old Tiger "flip" move - he had to aggressively square the clubface with his hands, a big timing piece from being stuck or getting the club trapped behind him (whether over or under the plane) that resulted in the frequent two-way miss. See the Charley Hoffman video I posted for an example of almost no release at all.

(Please don't quote the image if you quote this post...)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I tell you to jump high you won't do it from a standing position. You'll crouch and then explode upwards. Like Woods.

I'd pay money to see that.

I think they're doing a disservice to the viewers in their analyses. They could look a bit harder to find swings that are more unique. The ones they showed seemed to have very subtle differences - the kind that could appear during the same round depending on what shot he was trying to play. To rank amateurs like me, showing what he works on at the range, versus what he was working on with Haney or Harmon, would be more informative.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
I'd pay money to see that.

SAM exploding? Yeah, I bet you would...

I think they're doing a disservice to the viewers in their analyses. They could look a bit harder to find swings that are more unique. The ones they showed seemed to have very subtle differences - the kind that could appear during the same round depending on what shot he was trying to play.

To some extent I agree, but the fluctuations are minor except when someone's trying a bizarre shot - a huge hook under some trees, a big high slice over some bushes, etc.

But the part about the drills a player tends to work on, yes, agreed. But cameras don't tend to visit practice ranges, unfortunately.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How do you get from the top position, to impact were the club head path flows down the right forearm instead of above, the transition Tiger did in the fourth picture from the top?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Camera angles are slightly different - 3W is from a lower angle - and the left one is a ball on the ground (basically) with a 3W versus a ball teed up with a driver, so some minor differences there - namely in how far forward Tiger will have to get, which will affect when his right heel is pulled off the ground.

Thanks for posting this, I really enjoy the analysis (esp w/measurement).

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Jim Hardy says its ok for a one planer to bend down slightly on the down swing or remain the same but never raise up out of posture to keep the swing on plane. sam snead also made the squat move on the downswing famous which tiger has always done although at times overcooked and caused him to get stuck and block right or flip hook with hands to compensate.

You don't read anything into the wrist at the top?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
You don't read anything into the wrist at the top?

Not a bunch, no. It's partly a condition of his arm height, partly a condition of #3 rolling (or not rolling) the face wide open, and partly a condition of his feeling like laying the club off under Haney helped the club to not get stuck (it didn't) and now understanding that isn't really true.

It's a combination of better information and better mechanics. Put another (slightly incorrect) way: it's an effect, not an affect. A result, not a cause.

Thanks for the analysis.

The white clothing on the white background threw me off, I mistook the shoulder plane to be steeper.

This swing change is alot more interesting than the Harmon/Haney change.

So we won't see Woods until after Ryder Cup for awhile, probably 3 months I guess? What do you suspect he could get done in that amount of time?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
So we won't see Woods until after Ryder Cup for awhile, probably 3 months I guess? What do you suspect he could get done in that amount of time?

He's playing a few tournaments here and there (China, Australia again I think, his own tournament), but nothing big until a month or so the Masters.

watch his knees, they flex, which is the sam snead squat that they say shallowed out his his downswing and got the club square to the target line longer. the problem with this move according to the experts is its easier to get the club stuck behind you if your timing is off, hence the block right or the flip hook save with the hands

Note: This thread is 4987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!