IGNORED

Why should I fastplay?

kafka01
Note: This thread is 4974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So there have been a few threads around for slowplay in the past - but where is the point in fastplaying when all the good players slowplay? Thats probably one of the reasons why they are good!

I go to a golf course, pay my greenfee, and all i see are these timelimits you should keep up with to play the course in a reasonable amount of time.
But why - am i´m not entitled to at least the same time the guys on tour play (e.g. a twosome within 4 1/2 hours?) or all the college kids out there (golf college tournaments seem to be the slowest things on this planet)?

Actually i should be granted even more time to play the course - why? I dont have a caddy who carries for me, my balls dont get searched by dozens of volunteer scouts, i have to clean my own equipment, have to pace of my own yardages (and yes, if i see somebody of the "good" guys walking up to a green from 70y out, why shouldnt i?), and of course i need more shots (otherwise i could just slowplay with you guys on the big tour and never had to worry about it) so my whole shot routine multiplied by shots automatically should grant me more time.

After all, you guys tell us that we should play the same equipment as you do, everytime i open up a magazine you give us tips on every element of our game, so WHY ON EARTH SHOULD I RUSH IT WHEN I FINALLY PLAY A ROUND OF GOLF???????? You dont, thats for sure.

So my suggestion is - if the average tour twosome takes 4 1/2 hours we amateurs should be at least entitled to 5 hours with the additional workload. And dont give me the "they play for millions speech" - cuz i play for 20 bucks with my buddies and dont like to lose either..

Well, i guess there are actually people out there who think that way, if its a minority or majority - no idea, but i´m sure its hard to convince them otherwise, since fastplay is nowhere to be seen on televison or by the really good players, but slowplay is, beginning at the high amateur level up to the #1 of Golf. So you can discuss measures to combat slowplay all you want, if you are not able to convince the top players, you are fighting a lost cause imo.

BTW. i stopped reading magazines, but did any of the Top players ever given advice to hurry up a bit (i´m talking about people who are actually still playing)

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

I mean people shouldn't be walking off each shot to the pin from 150 out in the fairway. I do believe in ready golf, which means that you are choosing your club as the others are hitting, then you basically start your routine when its your turn. Now how ever long that routine is up to you, its personal, and i will not rush anyone on that.

My routine is pretty stable, take a practice swing to get the feel for the shot, stand behind the ball seeing my flight, find my mark to aim my clubface and line up to, approach the ball, waggle twice and let it rip.

Those who think they need to run through the course just to drink at the clubhouse, skip golf and go drink..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BTW. i stopped reading magazines, but did any of the Top players ever given advice to hurry up a bit (i´m talking about people who are actually still playing)

Yeah. Almost every issue has at least one current player talking about playing faster. There are a lot of ways to play faster without rushing your shot as you're about to play it.

Whenever I see a group park their cart (push/pull/motorized) or stand bag in front of the green and then leave it there while putting, I have the urge to pound an approach shot over their heads while they're backtracking. If you're a 7.5 you probably play quick enough and don't delay between shots unless it's to help a buddy find his or her ball, and you don't take 85 full shots either. For the higher caps, they have to play a bit quicker between shots, which they typically do, or there would be gunplay by the back nine.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Well, i´m not the issue here, i very rarely had anybody complain about me playing slow.

But see, if these guys talk about playing fast and then you see them on TV walking down their 4-1/2 - 5 hour rounds, what kind of credibility does this give them.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Because last time i was on the course it took 5 1/2 hours to play 18 and it really wasnt that enjoyable because we were just standing around for the most part. 4 1/2 hours or less in my opinion is enjoyable.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

I agree with alot of what the OP has said. There's 'slow' play and there's 'hurry up' play, both mess with your game and your mind. Whenever someone tells you to speed up, most likely you end up making a worse swing on the ball and then have to play an extra 2-3 shots because of your missed first attempt (due to hurrying). Play at a 'reasonable' pace, that is a speed that most people will find reasonable and an 18 hole round in 4 1/2 hours is not unreasonable. An 18 hole round in 5 1/2 - 6 hours is unreasonable and that's what annoys most people.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

on any given day...if the course is not too crowded, a comfortable pace that I play at usually ends up being about 4-4.5 hours. This isn't me rushing in any way. I take my time to read the greens, prep for my shots, etc.

my complaint comes from slow players who dick around until its their turn to hit. If your partner is putting...then you should be reading your line and prepping for your putt unless you're in the way. you should be ready to hit/putt after your partner.

also, there are those high handicappers who take 3-4 shots just to get on the green. If you sliced your ball way out, don't spend the next 10 minutes looking for your ball in the bushes... take a drop or hit a provisional. No need to be digging around the hazzard to find your ball.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

5 hours for a two ball?
your kidding right?
That's a very long time even for a fourball over here.

Is that normal for america?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

At first read I didn't realize you were joking . .I was about to SLAM you . .ha ha ...

Actually, I totally agree 100%. As much as I love that new Phil Mickelson commercial where he pops out from behind the bushes and goads the hacker to "play the ball as it lies", I also hate it because it makes hackers think that they need to take 10 shots to get out of trouble because it's the "honerable thing to do".

I would like to see a commercial where some jackasses are hacking it up but taking forever like they were playing on tv - and Phil rides up in a golf cart and humiliates them for playing too slowly and being inconsiderate to others on the course. But will we ever see that one? Probably not . .we'll have to content ourselves with Lorena reminding everybody to replace thier divots. Something is better than nothing, I guess . . .but - jeeez, pga, throw us a bone!

5 hours for a two ball?

No. not at all. 5 hours for 2 players is very long. Normal would be 4-4.5 hours for a four some, around where I play.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Most of the threads weren't asking for fastplay, they were bemoaning waiting 5-10 minutes, sometimes at every tee because people aren't using their time efficiently. That is just unreasonable. If you're an experienced player, you should with a 4some, carts or none, taking your time, finish a round in at least 4:30.

I would think most people are complaining about people talking when they should be moving on, taking too long to look for their ball, not placing their carts or bags in the correct place, not using the time efficiently when other people who are playing their shots, taking 10 practice swings, not thinking what they're going to do with their shot until it's their turn to play.

The unfortunate thing about golf is the time it takes away from family and friends, as much as golfers love golf. The difference between 4:15 and 5:45 for example is 1 1/2 hours more you can spend time with them.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Whenever I see a group park their cart (push/pull/motorized) or stand bag in front of the green and then leave it there while putting, I have the urge to pound an approach shot over their heads while they're backtracking.

Are you talking about 40 yards in front of the green?

I am probably in the minority, but I really don't mind waiting for people..I'm usually in no hurry and don't mind just sitting and drinking a beer while waiting for the group ahead of us. People leaving their carts/bags far away while on the green can get on my nerves though.

I'm guilty of looking over my shoulder to see how close the group behind is, regardless of how quick/slow the group in front are playing. I found the best time to play was mid-week when everyone else is working, I'd start about 8 and play very leisurely golf for the next several hours. After work and at the weekends it's a different story, I think the pace is too high to enjoy the game, surroundings, company, etc. Unless you're in a comp, I think there should be longer between tee-times and emphasis put on relaxing and enjoying the game.

Funny thing how you first meet the woman that you marry. I first met the wife in a tunnel of love. She was digging it - Les Dawson

R7 TP 3i - 9i

R7 TP Superquad 9.5
R7 TP 3w
R7 TP's Rossa Daytona 1 TP Black R7 Stand-bag

Most golfers regardless of ability if they are experienced golfers should be able to complete a round in a foursome in 4 hours. All it takes is to play ready golf and not line up 2 foot putts. Unless you are in a match there is no need to obsess about exact distances and to read every putt from 4 directions all of which slow the game.

Are you talking about 40 yards in front of the green?

Yes - some courses put a white paint line with a "no carts beyond this line" sign. There are people who don't realize you can park behind the green (on the cart path) on the way to the next hole. Every time I wonder how people could be so dense, I look around and see another group doing the same thing. I've even been in that group - a work function - my boss an another manager were clueless so my coworker / cart mate switched the bags around and took over driving the other cart. Basically he revoked his boss' driving privileges - that was both awkward and cool.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

5 hours for a two ball?

Yes. It is normal. I've been to Ireland once (was the best man in an Irish wedding, a pretty awesome experience) and want to go back for about 1000 reasons, and your comment makes it 1,001.

There are a lot of reasons why a round of golf takes so damned long. A lot of it is folks that hit bad shots and spend the moment after the ball leaves the face swearing and pouting instead of watching where it goes. A lot of it is that these unathletic b@stards don't walk and so, as a consequence, don't think about the shot before they hit it as they walk to the ball and then either take too long in their 'pre-shot routine' (even though they don't really have a routine which is another reason they are slow and sucky) OR they just hit terrible shots because their mind is really on drinking more beer in their cart as they say "fvck" very loudly and very often. When I play by myself and the course is relatively uncrowded...it takes me a touch over 3 hours to get around my home course. Playing with a partner or partners, it takes 3.5, 4 on a bad day. On almost any course, if it takes more than 4 hours something is drastically wrong.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I agree with the general sentiment: you don't have to race, but don't dawdle. If you are actually routinely having trouble playing 18 in 4 hours, you are dawdling. I can walk 9 in an hour and a half shooting 55 without feeling rushed, so it should not be hard for even a foursome of poor golfers to get around in 4 hours.

Also, be careful comparing yourself to the pros. They can justify taking a little longer to consider the conditions and choosing a landing spot and shot shape because they actually have the ability to adjust for those and are likely to hit the spot they aim for within a few yards. Most of us don't need to worry about where on the green to land or whether the wind is a 1/3 or 1/2 club wind, so a lot of the reasons the pros might play slowly just don't apply. Granted, some pros are just flat out slow, but on average they seem to move along pretty well.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 4974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!