IGNORED

Worst Player to Win a Major

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 4957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rich Beem-his win at the PGA is his only top 10 in a major in his career.

I read this early this morning before heading out to the Nationwide tournament here in Salt Lake City. I just happened to notice Rich Beem was in the field and was in last place after the first round. He ended up tied for 155th, missing the cut today.

I watched him for a couple of holes and wasn't surprised.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louis is just as good as the top 10 players on the fed ex cup rankings right now. He might not be as good as Stricker but he's definately above Kuchar or the guy who won last week.

I like Louis, but your assessment that he is definitely above Kuchar seems silly given Kuchar's incredible consistency and repeated Top 10 performances.

I like Louis, but your assessment that he is definitely above Kuchar seems silly given Kuchar's incredible consistency and repeated Top 10 performances.

Of the four 2010 major winners, take your pick - Louie or McDowell?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Tiger is a bad person. Worst Player to win a major. Only a jerk would have sex with dozens of women. What a filthy piece of talking, golfing excrement.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

• Administrator
Worst players dont win majors. They were all great on that given day.

That's not what the question asks. The question asks "of the people who won a major, who is the worst player?"

If you think Nicklaus is the equal of, oh, Andy North then that's just silly talk.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tiger is a bad person. Worst Player to win a major. Only a jerk would have sex with dozens of women. What a filthy piece of talking, golfing excrement.

I suppose you have walked in his shoes? Believe it or not when you are that famous there are many temptations and pressures that an average person might not experience. Im not saying his behavior was ok but the fact remains that we can't judge him and wonder how he could do something like that. Look at people in hollywood who become drug addicts and get prostitutes etc. Tiger has learned from his mistakes Im sure

but this is off topic, I apologize.

I'm not following you - are you asking who is the worst major winner

Re-read the thread title, then my query, then do the math.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I suppose you have walked in his shoes? Believe it or not when you are that famous there are many temptations and pressures that an average person might not experience. Im not saying his behavior was ok but the fact remains that we can't judge him and wonder how he could do something like that. Look at people in hollywood who become drug addicts and get prostitutes etc. Tiger has learned from his mistakes Im sure

*sarcasm*

I think I was kidding. I think. I'm pretty sure. Umm...yeah.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I wonder how much knowing that's generally how people feel affected his confidence and game.

Andy North. Lucky to be in the right place at the right time. The USGA must have been kicking themselves.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

1 major = Rich Beem.
2 majors = Angel Cabrera.
3 majors = Padraig Harrington.- worst in my opinion. He lucked his way to three majors because Sergio bottled two of them and Greg Norman bottled the other. Without his short game he wouldnt even keep his card. Cant believe Monty picked him over Rose or Casey. Just crazy!

Driver - Callaway FTI
3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha
Irons - Mizuno MX100
Putter - TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Spider
Ball - White round ones

Oosthauziun (sp? )

Oosthuizen is gonna be always middle of the packer

Clearly, you can't recognise talent when you see it.

1 major = Rich Beem.

Beem, maybe. Cabrera worse than North??? Harrington? Clearly, you don't actually understand the game you're presuming to comment on. As for Monty and his choices, why don't you cork it until after the event? Everyone hammered Faldo (including you probably?) for picking Poulter last out and they were so right then as well eh?

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Hasn't Rich Beem battled injuries quite often the last few years? However I would certainly agree he's probably up there in the worst players who had one great weekend and got a major.

Whoever said Lucas Glover... REALLY? I mean REALLY? C'mon, he may not be Phil Mickelson, but you're honestly willing to say he's the worst player EVER that happened to get lucky and win a major?
I saw an interview with him recently on the golf channels show "golf in america" in which this was the focus. Supposidly around the time he won his last major he was having back problems that entire year and kept playing through it ignoring the problem. Finally caught up to him, he got surgery etc and messed up his swing and thus his confidence with his game. Hes been trying to get it back since.

Duvals downfall, IMO, was more a result of vertigo than anything else. It's an infection in the inner ear that gives your body a feeling a motion even when you're completely still. Imagine how that can hurt a persons golf game when you're addressing the ball standing still like you should be... but your brain is making you feel like you're moving. He has had back problems and other injuries, but I think vertigo is the major reason for what happened to him... and the one thing that might prevent him from ever fully retaining form. It's too bad, because even this year, for example at Pebble... he proved that when he's on... he still has it.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Clearly, you can't recognise talent when you see it.

Yeah Cabrera worse than North. Again he only won the masters because Perry bottled it. As for Faldo he's a chump. Worst European captain bar none. He couldnt even get the players names right at the opening speech. Picking poults was the only good thing he did for the team.

And Harrington is toss. He lucked his way to three majors and has done nothing since. He is as over rated a golfer as U2 are a rockband.

Driver - Callaway FTI
3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha
Irons - Mizuno MX100
Putter - TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Spider
Ball - White round ones

Yeah Cabrera worse than North. Again he only won the masters because Perry bottled it. As for Faldo he's a chump. Worst European captain bar none. He couldnt even get the players names right at the opening speech. Picking poults was the only good thing he did for the team.

Wow... I never thought that someone do think that way. Angel Cabrera and Padraig Harrington are among one of best golfers in my thought. If you compare recent performance of those players to give any opinion who's worst or best. that's totally wrong. How they competed in neck-to-neck with other great players and pulled it off, not just one but two/three times. How they work the balls are amazing. For me, they are belong where Tiger is.

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

Winning 1 could possibly be a fluke, but 3? There are a lot of great players who played very well in majors, but just had bad luck or rather, someone else had good luck. Catching lightning in a bottle 3 times though, that says something about where his head was to be in the position to take advantage of someone else's mistake.

Sometimes the elements play a role with the winner playing the best of the guys with the better draw (i.e. this year's Open). Sometimes it's physical conditioning. If Colin Montgomerie was better able to withstand the summer temperatures in the US, he might have a couple majors, but c'est la vie. Sometimes it's a player's mental state. Thomas Bjorn should have easily won the Open that Ben Curtis did. Curtis kept his composure on the final holes, but Bjorn did not. Does Thomas Bjorn still even play competitive golf? Look at Greg Norman. Probably one of the most talented golfers in the history of the game. Possibly the most athletic player outside Nicklaus and Woods. Watching him shoot low rounds to make a late charge, when there was no way he could win, shows his "physical" talent. Sometimes it's just a matter of being the second or third best on a given week. Look how many close calls Tom Weiskopf had. At least he got one. Imagine how cranky he'd be if he had zero.

Note: This thread is 4957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!