IGNORED

My Swing (mvmac)

mvmac

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

Shot 73 with no birdies. So overall solid round, lipped out 6 putts, it was almost comical. Only one spot where I tried, played with a guy who got it, he shot 67 with a bogey on the last hole.

Jeez. The companion course for the Mid-Am this year is a course I play pretty regularly. Probably my favorite course in Denver (Commonground). I'm volunteering as a walking scorer there. It's going to be really interesting to see how these guys play the course.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, JGus said:

Curious if you have a 'feel / trigger' or if it is just a natural move and no thought involved for when you initiate your down swing (transfer weight forward).  At normal speed it's easier for me to see that your weight moves forward like a slide or bump before you turn, but with slow motion I don't see the slide/bump as well, it looks more like just a turn.  This is something I am working on, some days the weight shift is so easy, but others I feel like I do it 5 different ways and can't remember the feel/trigger from the days it is easy.

I have a trigger to start the swing, something I've added a couple years ago and it's been huge for me on the course. That's basically when my handicap started dropping from a 2/3 to a +2/3. The trigger has evolved but it's basically spiking some pressure in my left foot so I "push" or unweight it to shift pressure right before my club moves back, then use that momentum to propel me into the backswing.

I have a swing thought when I'm on the range working on my transition but on the course I'm just trying to hit it hard.

On the course there just isn't enough time to really "think" about manually doing something on the downswing. Basically once I "flow" right I start re-centered the torso and pressure and ideally that allows me to "fall" forward.

Couple pics for further illustrate, notice how there is some flow early and then as more rotation kicks in the hips separate from the trail leg line, allows the pressure and center of gravity to get back to center and even get more forward. Ideally allows the backswing to "happen" because of the rotation and pressure movement.

Champ.jpgChamp 2.jpg

This sequencing is even more evident with the pros who re-plant their lead heel closer to the target than it was at 1, Rory, Xander, Champ (below).Champ 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

On the course there just isn't enough time to really "think" about manually doing something on the downswing. Basically once I "flow" right I start re-centered the torso and pressure and ideally that allows me to "fall" forward.

Thanks, great feedback, really appreciate the explanation.

I agree about not enough time to think about it on the course, but when I know it's not right I begin to force it, which obviously is not the right thing to do.

You saying "falling forward" is a great way to visualize the feel, which when I'm transitioning correctly and have solid contact is what I feel my body is doing, it just seems effortless, but when it's not working I'm just trying to force the weight shift in my feet or hips.  Re-centering the torso and pressure is something I don't think I have thought about, in regards to how you explained it, I've always tried to separate the lower and upper body by trying to shift from waist down allowing my upper body to hang back.  Definitely working on this tonight at the range!

And sorry for the hijack...

Gus
---------------

7 hours ago, JGus said:

but when it's not working I'm just trying to force the weight shift in my feet or hips.

Rotation may be stalling towards the end of the backswing.

7 hours ago, JGus said:

I've always tried to separate the lower and upper body by trying to shift from waist down allowing my upper body to hang back.

This may be something you have to do based on your swing but generally I would avoid shifting from the waist down and leaving the upper body back. Basically you want to shift forward but keep the lead side lower than the trail side, notice how these players look below, note the inclination of the left side's as they are shifted forward. After this point they'll start to push the opposite direction and their left shoulder's/rib cage's will pull back and up.

2.jpg1.jpg

And check this out,

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

16 hours ago, mvmac said:

This may be something you have to do based on your swing but generally I would avoid shifting from the waist down and leaving the upper body back. Basically you want to shift forward but keep the lead side lower than the trail side, notice how these players look below, note the inclination of the left side's as they are shifted forward. After this point they'll start to push the opposite direction and their left shoulder's/rib cage's will pull back and up.

And check this out,

Thanks, your points and the video may be the things I'm struggling with.

Gus
---------------

• 2 weeks later...

Some on-course swings from our vacation last week. Making sure to keep the "bounce" in my feet to trigger the swing. Really like how dynamic it looks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I've posted, played in A LOT of tournament lately. Stroke play, member-guests and scrambles. Mostly decent results with some bad play mixed in. One more tournament this weekend, then looking forward to having a little break and working on the swing.

Some recent notes on what I'm working on:

- Humerus hanging more at 1. Left arm feels more internal and soft/hanging. Should have some space between the top of tricep and pec. Check with stick on the ground drill. 

- Rock the body, bounce the feet to initiate upload. Left leg loses some flex. 

- Push off left foot, head moves up and right and stays up on takeaway. Hands stay in the same spot. Pause for a second or two. 

- Club swings back via rotation of core. Feels like I’m turning very level while throwing the club straight back along the target line using my core/right ribs. Check slack in arms. If arms bend, turn could be too tilted or pelvis is turning too early. 

- 1-2, isolate feels of toros turning while lower body doesn’t move. Feels like left knee stays in place as toros rotates to my right. 

- 1-2, if club gets inside the hands, hands "bank" outward, check rotation rates and feel butt of the club point more towards me longer.

- For left misses and general downswing rotation and lowering. Towards the end of the backswing get the belly button pointed towards the target as soon as possible, laser pointer image. 

Drills:

- Upload, pause for a couple seconds, coil and hit it. 

- Upload, elevate club above ball swing  it forward as body starts to load right and sling it back (stop at 4.5 or hit it). 

- Elevate club well above the ball, like 6 inches, stay up on takeaway and hit it. 

- Mace work and imagery. Use the body to throw something heavy behind me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Gradually improving the mechanics and playing well. Mostly working on the sequencing of the shift and turn, I tend to turn too much too early. Also tweaked my trigger move.

Trigger move: Feeling like I'm rocking right, unweighting rather than pushing off my left foot, hips rotates a bit towards target as the left leg lengthens, right hip shifts over right ankle.

Takeaway/backswing feels like I throw the club back using my body,  late set as possible club slings back. Wrists set late but arms are still wide. Feels like the “throw” is more up and back than around.

Also have the visual of me getting taller as the pelvis stays under me, pressure feels like it gets to the outside of my right foot.

Then rotate late as upper body re-centers and topples over my lower center. Visual is that I get my right shoulder blade over my left ankle. This is where the speed and recklessness come in. Basically trying to make it a reaction to how the centers are lined up and the momentum created early.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

If your swing could be as strong as your shoes…

Interesting feels.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Working the same feels. Shift both centers, lengthen left leg, then throw the club up with the body.

Centers are more inline going back with the face-on view. Right hip is more "stable". not turning around as early.

Like how I'm wider without thinking about it. Same thing with 1-2 dtl, looking good and just a result of the pivot/directed momentum. 

3-4.jpg

And now lowering on the backswing until after 3, which I want.

1-3.jpg4-5.jpg

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Just an updated swing and showing the step drill I've been doing.

Experimenting with a different trigger move but same feels on the takeaway, shift the centers early, and throw the arms/club upward. Doesn't come close but almost feels like I get my belt buckle to the inside of the right foot before I sling it back. Really like the ascent of the hand path and that my head doesn't lower until after 3.

P1-3.jpgP4-5.jpg

Good "shaft lean" and less saggy knees! Hips probably still too slidy.P7-9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

@mvmac do you feel your arms are a tiny bit "late" getting down to the ball?

01.jpg

I don't think it looks quite as "late" from DTL. And maybe you are, but it's well down on the list.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

@mvmac do you feel your arms are a tiny bit "late" getting down to the ball?

Yeah agree 100%, kinda what I was saying when I said the hips were too slidy. Going to keep an eye on it as the sequencing of the "new move" improves. Still early/trial and error stages. Kinda surprised how good I'm hitting it with how crappy that looks lol

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think it looks quite as "late" from DTL. And maybe you are, but it's well down on the list.

Right, this is pretty good for me. I like the spacing between the hands, right arm is bent, left arm visible and my body and that the handle is "up".

P1-7.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Little better today with the arms as a result of better positioning of the body. Less tilted back, more "on top of it" in the right pics. Can almost see some daylight in the left pic below at 6 with the left hand and right thigh.

Not trying to do anything different, just making sure to keep up the speed in the backswing so my upper body is in a better position to swing the arms down in transition. Trying to avoid doing anything "manually" on the downswing and just let it be a byproduct of good sequencing and momentum built up on the backswing. 

5.jpg

6.jpg7.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

Little better today with the arms as a result of better positioning of the body. Less tilted back, more "on top of it" in the right pics. Can almost see some daylight in the left pic below at 6 with the left hand and right thigh.

Not trying to do anything different, just making sure to keep up the speed in the backswing so my upper body is in a better position to swing the arms down in transition. Trying to avoid doing anything "manually" on the downswing and just let it be a byproduct of good sequencing and momentum built up on the backswing. 

5.jpg

6.jpg7.jpg

Thanks for posting so much detail. I use your swing as one of the models I follow.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 hours ago, mvmac said:

Session with Mario today, been about a month since the last one. Was on the right track with my feels yesterday. Ditched the trigger move I was experimenting with in the 1-9 swing. Didn't provide enough momentum on the backswing to recenter things aggressively enough. If things can't get "lined up" at 4-5 I'm going to have to stall, slide and flip at it. Good swings (one below) feel like I don't do anything on the downswing, zero "work". 

2-3.jpg4-5.jpg

2-4.jpg5-6.jpg7-9.jpg

13 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Thanks for posting so much detail. I use your swing as one of the models I follow.

You got it, happy to share.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

First swings filmed with my new iPhone 11. Sticking with my club head swinging over the ball rehearsals. Do it before every shot. Step drills for the takeaway shift feel and being aggressive with the upper body re-center. Feeling more “fall” in transition. 

Backswing feels like I’m more “rooted” on the right foot. 

Right now good shots are a slight fade, misses are pulls or pulls draws. Contact is really good though and center face. With the pulls, especially the pull-draws, have to watch that the grip doesn't get too strong (along with the stuff that Mario says in the video), going to even make it a bit weaker. That right hand has been sneaking too far under the grip lately.

Winding up the upper body with a more stable right leg/thigh, not rotating around as much. If I get too "spinny" with the pelvis it makes it really hard to stretch with rotation on the backswing which then would effect the flow of the transition.3-4.jpg

6-7.jpg

Knees square at 5 with the left arm in a good position to fade it. 4-5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Good session with Mario today. Been a struggle lately, hitting good shots has been feeling like a lot of work. Hitting it fairly solid but just too many left shots. The tweaks/cues today turned it all around. Kinda going back to some feels I was working on in late Nov/Dec when I was playing well and shooting "easy" under par rounds. 

Focus the past month has been more on the re-center, implementation was off, I was almost trying to close more at the top and fell back into my tendency of turning the pelvis too much too early. Which gets me too shallow, swing direction too far out, face closes like a mother. With more pelvis/pressure shift, it cleans up a lot of the hand/club path on the takeaway and allows me to use the muscles/load the tissue up my right side so I can transition with more stretch (upper center opening later) and inclination.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin