Jump to content
mvmac

My Swing (mvmac)

529 posts / 81450 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Everything I work on is connected to improving impact alignments, otherwise what's the point?

Curious if you have a 'feel / trigger' or if it is just a natural move and no thought involved for when you initiate your down swing (transfer weight forward).  At normal speed it's easier for me to see that your weight moves forward like a slide or bump before you turn, but with slow motion I don't see the slide/bump as well, it looks more like just a turn.  This is something I am working on, some days the weight shift is so easy, but others I feel like I do it 5 different ways and can't remember the feel/trigger from the days it is easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

Shot 73 with no birdies. So overall solid round, lipped out 6 putts, it was almost comical. Only one spot where I tried, played with a guy who got it, he shot 67 with a bogey on the last hole.

Jeez. The companion course for the Mid-Am this year is a course I play pretty regularly. Probably my favorite course in Denver (Commonground). I'm volunteering as a walking scorer there. It's going to be really interesting to see how these guys play the course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, JGus said:

Curious if you have a 'feel / trigger' or if it is just a natural move and no thought involved for when you initiate your down swing (transfer weight forward).  At normal speed it's easier for me to see that your weight moves forward like a slide or bump before you turn, but with slow motion I don't see the slide/bump as well, it looks more like just a turn.  This is something I am working on, some days the weight shift is so easy, but others I feel like I do it 5 different ways and can't remember the feel/trigger from the days it is easy.

I have a trigger to start the swing, something I've added a couple years ago and it's been huge for me on the course. That's basically when my handicap started dropping from a 2/3 to a +2/3. The trigger has evolved but it's basically spiking some pressure in my left foot so I "push" or unweight it to shift pressure right before my club moves back, then use that momentum to propel me into the backswing.

I have a swing thought when I'm on the range working on my transition but on the course I'm just trying to hit it hard.

On the course there just isn't enough time to really "think" about manually doing something on the downswing. Basically once I "flow" right I start re-centered the torso and pressure and ideally that allows me to "fall" forward.

Couple pics for further illustrate, notice how there is some flow early and then as more rotation kicks in the hips separate from the trail leg line, allows the pressure and center of gravity to get back to center and even get more forward. Ideally allows the backswing to "happen" because of the rotation and pressure movement.

Champ.jpgChamp 2.jpg

This sequencing is even more evident with the pros who re-plant their lead heel closer to the target than it was at 1, Rory, Xander, Champ (below).Champ 3.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

On the course there just isn't enough time to really "think" about manually doing something on the downswing. Basically once I "flow" right I start re-centered the torso and pressure and ideally that allows me to "fall" forward.

Thanks, great feedback, really appreciate the explanation.

I agree about not enough time to think about it on the course, but when I know it's not right I begin to force it, which obviously is not the right thing to do.

You saying "falling forward" is a great way to visualize the feel, which when I'm transitioning correctly and have solid contact is what I feel my body is doing, it just seems effortless, but when it's not working I'm just trying to force the weight shift in my feet or hips.  Re-centering the torso and pressure is something I don't think I have thought about, in regards to how you explained it, I've always tried to separate the lower and upper body by trying to shift from waist down allowing my upper body to hang back.  Definitely working on this tonight at the range!

And sorry for the hijack...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, JGus said:

but when it's not working I'm just trying to force the weight shift in my feet or hips.

Rotation may be stalling towards the end of the backswing.

7 hours ago, JGus said:

I've always tried to separate the lower and upper body by trying to shift from waist down allowing my upper body to hang back.

This may be something you have to do based on your swing but generally I would avoid shifting from the waist down and leaving the upper body back. Basically you want to shift forward but keep the lead side lower than the trail side, notice how these players look below, note the inclination of the left side's as they are shifted forward. After this point they'll start to push the opposite direction and their left shoulder's/rib cage's will pull back and up.

2.jpg1.jpg

And check this out,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, mvmac said:

This may be something you have to do based on your swing but generally I would avoid shifting from the waist down and leaving the upper body back. Basically you want to shift forward but keep the lead side lower than the trail side, notice how these players look below, note the inclination of the left side's as they are shifted forward. After this point they'll start to push the opposite direction and their left shoulder's/rib cage's will pull back and up.

And check this out,

 

Thanks, your points and the video may be the things I'm struggling with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some on-course swings from our vacation last week. Making sure to keep the "bounce" in my feet to trigger the swing. Really like how dynamic it looks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...