IGNORED

How easy/hard is it to regrip you clubs.

Mrd19abhs
Note: This thread is 4947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I regripped my clubs using an air compressor. The hardest, or should I say most boring, part was to cut up the old grips. I didn't have a suitable knife for the job. Getting the new grips on was done in 10 seconds for each club.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It depends on how fussy you are about your grips. Removal of grips can be a problem for a newbie. The hooked blade on a handiknife works the best.

If you go through the hassle of doing it yourself, do it right. Get off the old tape. If you leave it on, you'll end up with grips of varying thicknesses.

And like shindig said, it depends on your home set-up. I regrip about once a year, and don't have much space at home, so I find it easier just to have Golf Galaxy do it. And, my wife is happy I have one less DIY project lying around.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

What do the DIY guys of you use as a solvent? It's hard to find special grip solvent here, but I heard, you could find a suitable solvent in any drugstore.

thx
michi

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

What do the DIY guys of you use as a solvent? It's hard to find special grip solvent here, but I heard, you could find a suitable solvent in any drugstore.

On-line stores like Golfworks sell it in a variety of sizes. I got a bottle (quart size maybe?) several years ago and still have a little more than half left. It costs about $7-10, but if you do it right and don't waste it, it can last for a number of years.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

What do the DIY guys of you use as a solvent?

Low odor mineral spirits. You can get a quart at the hardware store and it will last for while. I reuse what is left over in the pan after each regripping session.

There are tons of resources on this web site and in other places to see just how easy it is to regrip. If you have an old club or two you can practice on those first if you are unsure. For grip alignment, I put my vice adaptor on the shaft and make sure it is lined up just right so that the clubface is perpendicular in the vice. Then I just make sure the grip marks are perfectly on top when I slide the new grip on. I don't really use it for alignment when I swing so I've also just put the logo at the bottom of the shaft so it's not visible. SRJ
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

I use an air compressor to blow my grips on . SUPER easy. I also dont use grip tape I use masking tape. And no smelly, carcinogenic flammabale solvents. I use caveman lube. (spit) simple. Takes 10 minutes to do a set of irons too.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Cutting off the grips and scraping the tape can be a hassle. Throwing the grips on with solvent, mineral spirits, lighter fluid, etc is the easy part. I use one strip of tape and a .580 on all my stuff to give a slightly larger feel (That's what she said).

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

• 1 month later...
So generally speaking you should align the grip writing (eg GOlf Pride) straight down the shaft, with the clubface sqaure to the vice vertically? Would you recommend the air compressed method, or tape and solvent?

Also as im a midsize, can i just buy midsize grips and not use any tape, with the air compressor?

So generally speaking you should align the grip writing (eg GOlf Pride) straight down the shaft, with the clubface sqaure to the vice vertically? Would you recommend the air compressed method, or tape and solvent?

Using tape is the most common way of doing it. Yes, logo straight down the shaft is the norm, but some prefer to put it logo down. That is what I am doing when i regrip soon.

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

The only reason I wanna do it is I like to learn new things and since Im still young(22) this could save me a lot of money over the years if I dont have to pay someone else every year.

I regrip on a regular basis for a living. It is easy to do but also easy to mess up.

Make sure you put a fresh wrap of double sided tape on the ends covering all the metal the grip will be coverings and place your club in a vice grip of some sort. Try to put the grip on the way you want it from the start because twisting it can ruin the grip since grip solvent dries so quickly.

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

Note: This thread is 4947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!