IGNORED

More Confident with Driver than a 3 Wood

8.5_Drive
Note: This thread is 4967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm more confident of hitting FW with the 3W, but only slightly. Today was a good day with my long clubs 3 of 4 FW w/driver and 3 of 3 FW w/3W. I also hit a 3W 260 yard second shot (last 30 yards was roll) to the fringe on a second shot on a 575 yard par 5.

Something about having the ball teed up high just totally messes with my swing.

Preach on brother!!! For the past month I have been teeing driver lower (not even 1/3 of the ball above the crown) and contact is much better and as a result my ball flight is better and consistency in the FW has risen considerably. My 3W is teed exactly like golfro described above.

I feel confident with my driver and my missed are draw/hooks, I have even used my drive into wind on par 3 from 200 - 220 yards by choking up, I average about 240 yards with my driver.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I am in the same boat as the OP. I have much more confidence in hitting my driver than my 3 wood off the tee. I am much more likely to mishit my fairway wood than my driver. Glad I'm not the only one.

« Keith »

I'm really struggling in this department. I pulled the driver from the bag for a while to work on my 3 wood off the tee, and it worked. But I don't like feeling sketchy with any club in the bag, so I continue to play driver, I'm just a lot more selective about when I bring it out.

Only speaking for high handicappers like myself, but I think "put driver away and hit 3w" is one of those old false relics...

For a high handicappers you may be right, but this is certainly not a "false relic" for a consistent ball striker.

Just as a hypothetical... Say we have a low handicapper, with equal confidence in his clubs. When he hits a straight ball, usually his max miss is 5° left or right of his initial target line. He is set to tee off on a par 5 with a fairway 45 yards wide, bordered by deep rough. What should he hit? From here it's just simple trigonometry. His max miss with a 200 yard 4 iron would be ~17 yards, on either side. Likewise, his max miss left or right for his 250 yard 3 metal and 285 yard driver would be ~21 yards and ~25 yards, respectively. So, in this case our hypothetical player should pull his 3 metal because it is the longest club he has that should still hit the fairway on a 5° miss.
...[one of those old false relics] like "you should work on your short game".

Are you joking with this one?

905T 10.5°
HiBore 15°
Rescue TP 19°
695CB 4-PW
rac Fe2O3 50°, 55°, 60° Teryllium Newport

I'm much more consistent with 3w than driver. I hit the 3w long and straight, so I have high confidence I will hit the fairway with it compared to my driver which I slice frequently enough to make me leave it in the bag for now. I don't think I've ever heard to opt for a 3i over a 3w or driver off the tee. Most people I know don't even carry a 3i because they can't hit it consistently.

I think for most of us the clubs we practice with most are the clubs we are most comfortable with. The guys that are better with their driver probably practice more with their driver than 3w. I've been practicing hitting my 3w off the mat and tees so I have alot more confidence in it than my driver.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For a high handicappers you may be right, but this is certainly not a "false relic" for a consistent ball striker.

Key word was "high handicappers" dude. The fastest way for someone shooting 110 to get in the 90s is to work on ballstriking, yet people will often (incorrectly IMO) say short game or course management are more important. There's a whole thread on it.

Key word was "high handicappers" dude. The fastest way for someone shooting 110 to get in the 90s is to work on ballstriking, yet people will often (incorrectly IMO) say short game or course management are more important. There's a whole thread on it.

You are altering what you originally posted. To be clear, you said...

...one of those old false relics like "you should work on your short game".

Key distinction, dude. You made no mention of ball striking or the relative importance thereof in your original post. You merely stated that short game isn't important for high handicappers, which is preposterous.

Without that distinction, I was honestly wondering if you were attempting sarcasm. Take a chill pill. I have read, and don't disagree with, the thread you later alluded to.

905T 10.5°
HiBore 15°
Rescue TP 19°
695CB 4-PW
rac Fe2O3 50°, 55°, 60° Teryllium Newport

Yesterday was a really good day with the 3w for me a club I wasnt using due to inconsistency. I was getting about 220 straight down the fairway on my second shot alot.But I rarely use the 3w off the Tee if im worried about a tight hole or overshootign the fairway with my driver I tee it the ball up higher and pop the it way up high in the air but still get > 220 on it.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

I didn't agree with your first post, but in the end, it's your approach and your opinion. Who says we all have to take the same approach with this hobby?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That's fine, but no where was I rude or condescending or "not chill" in my rebuttal.

I wasn't the one who said "chill". That term has the opposite effect on me - my fists unconsciously clench - I'm weird.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I wasn't the one who said "chill". That term has the opposite effect on me - my fists unconsciously clench - I'm weird.

Probably because it's usually used with a condescending/sarcastic tone.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably because it's usually used with a condescending/sarcastic tone.

Settle down little guy! (another surefire rage inducer).

I feel the same way. On short holes I almost always pull out my driver because I feel more confident with it and have more of a chance of hitting a bad shot with an iron or wood than I do with my driver. Plus, a bad shot with a wood or iron is going to be more costly because not only is it a bad shot, but you've just made the hole alot longer.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

my 3 wood and I don't get along. i'm much more confident in my driver. if i need to be shorter off the tee or want a little more accuracy i'll get out my 19.5* hybrid.

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

Note: This thread is 4967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!