IGNORED

My experience with Knock-Off Clubs

DBC
Note: This thread is 4951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Before I start I know some of you may think its morally wrong to buy these knock off clubs. Thats a great opinion to have, and if I had authentic clubs available in my country I would buy exclusively Authentic.

Let me also say that when I lived in the US, I bought authentic clubs, bags, and balls while there and do not condone purchasing knock off items, if it breaks any of your country's laws.
So......

A few years ago, I had the privelege of working in China for a few years, and I became good friends with one of the knock off sellers there in Beijing. He sold every item you can think of with a major golf brand's name printed on it. Shoes, Clubs, Bags, Umbrella's, Towels, Grips, Balls, etc..As I grew closer to this guy and gained his trust, he would openly tell me if something was knock-off or authentic. I even visited his warehouse where he kept all these items.
Some friends of mine didnt mind the knock off stuff, so I purchased many items from my contact and sent them home to them.

The Clubs which ranged from Taylormade, to Nike, to Mizuno, all looked really good. Every major name brand was available if you just asked for it. I saw other shop's merchandise, and some of it didnt look so good. So I ordered lots of stuff for friends, and I even ordered a few sets for myself and shipped them to my house.

When I finally left China and visited my home, I ended up playing a few rounds with everyone who was using these Knock off clubs. There was no doubt, they were hitting it longer, straighter, and sinking more putts with these knock off clubs. Even myself, I brought my handicap down a few with my Taylormade clubs. Some of the materials used in these clubs were so good, oftentimes I thought I was getting the real club. In fact, my contact in China told me that my clubs were the real thing and that he gave me a good discount since I was his "friend".
This actually proved to be true when I went to re-shaft my driver in the US. I told the local golf shop about my China clubs, but they confirmed mine was authentic--a pleasant surprise for me. I couldnt tell what was real, and what wasnt, even comparing side-by-side.

Fast forward about 3 years. I now live in Africa, and decided to buy another set of Clubs made in China. What I got was a set of Taylormade R9's with the SuperTri driver. I also decided to get the Cleveland Wedges ( 60, 52 degree).
I have to say, again, that these clubs are seriously kick-ass. Im hitting it longer, and straighter than before, and Im dropping my handicap again.

However, the Cleveland wedges have shown considerable wear on the face. No longer are there any Zip Grooves. Its like hitting a smooth faced club when I chip. The SuperTri Driver is fantastic, but occasionally I have to tighten to main screw to keep the head on.
Just today I could not use the driver any more due to the head wiggling around as I swung the club. All my drives had to be with a 3Wood. Now Im not certain why my wedges have faded, as this environment is brutal for golf clubs, but Ive only used them about 8 times here. And I need to replace a screw to get my driver functional again.

And how about my buddies clubs?? Well, most of the clubs still work. The golf Bags I shipped, all the handles have broken off, and my best friends 3 woods face is concave. Seriously I saw it, its dented. ( somehow he hits straight shots with it).

Other things like the shoes, towels, and grips all are still performing quite well, as well as any of those items could.

So in conclusion, I think these clubs probably perform to about 75-90% of an authentic club. But I have no real way to compare. I know for now they are performing great, but for how long? Your guess is as good as mine.

You've used the wedges 8 times and the faces have worn rapidly, the head of your driver will not stay torqued and your friends 3 wood has a concave face after 3 years?

These don't sound like quality products, really by any definition. What you describe confirms that clone clubs are made to look like the real thing, but with inferior materials and processes that will not stand the test of time.

By contrast, I've got a basement full of old legitimate clubs all of which are over 15+ years old and could be played confidently at a moments notice. I'll pay more for something I know was designed and manufactured properly, thanks.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Before I start I know some of you may think its morally wrong to buy these knock off clubs. Thats a great opinion to have, and if I had authentic clubs available in my country I would buy exclusively Authentic.

this post is halarious. Your saying how awesome the knocks offs are and like the real thing, then the next paragraphs you are telling us how youve only hit the wedge eight times and the grooves are faded, the screw on your driver comes loose on every hit, your buddies knock off 3 wood is dented in, the golf bag knock offs you shipped have parts broken off. what?

this post is halarious. Your saying how awesome the knocks offs are and like the real thing, then the next paragraphs you are telling us how youve only hit the wedge eight times and the grooves are faded, the screw on your driver comes loose on every hit, your buddies knock off 3 wood is dented in, the golf bag knock offs you shipped have parts broken off. what?

I think that's exactly what he's saying.

It seems to be easier to copy the appearance than the quality. The irons that were good may have in fact been the real article, offered at a discount for reasons unknown.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

One thing to consider: Diverted components vs. knock-off components.

Many club components are manufactured in China for the major U.S. companies. Clubs made from diverted components - made after-hours and withheld from the name-brand firms - should be pretty durable.

Copycat components made outside the high-spec factories, however, could have serious quality problems.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One thing to consider: Diverted components vs. knock-off components.

I've thought this could be a serious possibility. If you are a contracted manufacturer for a major clubmaker, who's to say that extras/overruns/"blemished" components don't find their way to the black market?

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I posteding this on my eye-phone. Its just a guud. I bet you can't even difference the tell!

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

I am currently located in Shanghai China for work. Fake golf clubs are EVERYWHERE here! You can find the fake clubs at the "fake market" as us expats like to call it. it's a place where u can get fake watches, shoes, clothes, bags, software, DVDs, and of course golf clubs. ive always been tempted to buy them but have yet to do so. many of my co workers and friends who come and visit always buy a set. and the way the lady that sells the clubs explained it to me was as follows.

There are two tiers of copied clubs here. The first being a cheaply made copy. dosent look as good damn sure dosent feel as good and are priced extremely low.
The next level are what she likes to refer to as "OEM" quality. witch look great, feel great, and are a little more pricey, but a steal compared to retail prices. now she says that the "OEM's" are actual clubs from the manufacturer that are flawed, these flawed clubs get sent to small time assembly factories and are assemled and sold on the black market.

Now my first question to her was "If these clubs are ALL factory rejects, why do you have a surplus of iron sets, drivers, putters, fairway woods and hybrids in stock? do you expect me to believe that the Taylormade and Callaway and Titleist and the Mizuno factory each made 10 complete sets of flawed clubs?" seems like to me when u order a set of true OEM rejecets that it would take some time to get this order filled and theres a pssibility that you may have some iron shafts and graphite shafts mixed together in order to complete your set.....? right?

this article may shine some light on the subject and let you see just how big the copy market is here!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...464468,00.html

Keep it where the mowers go!

Now my first question to her was "If these clubs are ALL factory rejects, why do you have a surplus of iron sets, drivers, putters, fairway woods and hybrids in stock? do you expect me to believe that the Taylormade and Callaway and Titleist and the Mizuno factory each made 10 complete sets of flawed clubs?" seems like to me when u order a set of true OEM rejecets that it would take some time to get this order filled and theres a pssibility that you may have some iron shafts and graphite shafts mixed together in order to complete your set.....? right?

Probably not. For the way your acquaintance described it (and others I've heard elsewhere) the factories produce the heads, which are later assembled using manufacturer-specified shafts and grips. Think about the global market for golf products. These machines are producing club heads in huge quantities. The blemished heads, whether it be a paint, finish, graphic, weight defect then go into a bin that will be assembled elsewhere as an "OEM reject."

These heads then get assembled with other components, perhaps similar to or counterfeit of the true shaft and grip to save additional money when moved on the black market. Search for the MP-68 knockoff thread, it sounds like this guy had legitimate iron heads with strange shafts and non-standard wrapping. At the volume that these clubs are cast at, it's very likely that these 2nd-tier clubs can be assembled in sets with matching grips and shafts, as the reject rate is likely moderately low but production volume is very high.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

Ill try to clarify a little about my initial post.

Since Ive seen first hand the amount of clubs being sent out of China, I thought I would give people a heads up on really what they are buying if they decide to do the Knock off route.
The warehouse isnt small,in fact there are many and they are huge, and are completely full of golf items stashed in every corner. The workers are there on call,day or night, ready to make a sale.....this is no small business, its much bigger than you can imagine.

This leads me to believe that these shady dealers on Ebay (and elsewhere) are doing business with these guys and not letting the consumer know. After seeing the real club right next to the fake one, I could not see the difference. I was trying to describe this but some of you thought I was saying how "awesome" the knock offs were. I was not.

And the proof is in the pudding. These things will look great, and even play great, but after only 8 times with my wedge, its complete shit. The durability of some clubs are worthless. Then to confuse me even more, my driver was an authentic head, but had a knock off Dynamic Gold shaft.

If you decide to save money and buy black market items, you need to consider if the risk is worth the reward. In my experience, only the one set has been good, and is still performing great. The rest however all have major flaws.

Maybe what they say is true. "You get what you pay for".
My 2 Cents.

Since we are talking Knock-offs, clones, let me ask this.
What are your thoughts on Domestic clone producers such as GigaGolf and Pinemeadow ?
How do their materials compare to Asian black market golf club making materials ?

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Since we are talking Knock-offs, clones, let me ask this.

This is save a few weeks of time, as it's been beat to death in a few other threads. There are more threads if you search, too :):

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...lone+giga+golf http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...lone+giga+golf

Note: This thread is 4951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!