IGNORED

Advice needed

Jaywun
Note: This thread is 4900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm an older golfer. 11 handicap. I average 250 off the tee, 5 iron about 175. The thing is I have a short backswing(self taught). I have no crazy goals of getting to scratch but feel I still have a chance to get to 5. Question-should I still try to lengthen my backswing for more distance or stick with my length and work on short game to get down to 5? I layup on every par 5 and try to wedge in for birdie, but almost never 1 put, so settle for par at best. Most low single digits say birdie on par 5's are necessary. If I can maintain my distances and just work on consistency and short game, is getting to 5 realistic or do I have to get longer? Also, there are a couple long par 4's on my local courses that I just dread playing. I always have 3 or 4 iron in and always bogey or worse on those holes. Any thoughts? Anyone in the same position? All feedback appreciated.

Hi there

Before you change anything that later on you can regret, working on the short game is never a bad idea. Practice those pitches, chips, and putts. I am sure that if you practice well you will lower your score, and you´ll always have time to change your swing if you want to.

Besides, i think that a longer backswing will not necesarily make you hit further.

Good luck!!

In my bag:
Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 Diamana
Callaway Diablo Tour 15º

Callaway Razr 5 wood
TaylorMade Tour Preferred 3-PW
Callaway Forged 56º, Titleist Vokey 58º

Odyssey White Hot 1

Srixon Z-Star

I'm an older golfer. 11 handicap. I average 250 off the tee, 5 iron about 175. The thing is I have a short backswing(self taught). I have no crazy goals of getting to scratch but feel I still have a chance to get to 5. Question-should I still try to lengthen my backswing for more distance or stick with my length and work on short game to get down to 5? I layup on every par 5 and try to wedge in for birdie, but almost never 1 put, so settle for par at best. Most low single digits say birdie on par 5's are necessary. If I can maintain my distances and just work on consistency and short game, is getting to 5 realistic or do I have to get longer? Also, there are a couple long par 4's on my local courses that I just dread playing. I always have 3 or 4 iron in and always bogey or worse on those holes. Any thoughts? Anyone in the same position? All feedback appreciated.

I wouldn't try to lengthen the backswing in your situation. You don't want to risk injuring yourself, and your ballstriking would probably suffer from the longer backswing, at least until you've put in a lot of time working with it. Also your distances don't sound all that short. Shorter than you'd like, I'm sure, but not all that short.

Also remember: there are more than 2 parts of the game of golf. Sounds like you're pretty much thinking there's distance and short game, but there's a lot more. Long game accuracy comes to mind: you mention that on long par 4's you end up with a long iron for your second shot, and therefore you make bogey or worse. But you skipped a step there; somewhere between the lines you hit a bad shot with your long iron. There's a leak to plug right there. Also, if it's bogey or worse on those holes, then it sounds like that 3rd shot is not what it should be either. Pitching might be something to patch up. Also you mention you almost never 1-putt. Practice those medium-to-longish putts more. It will help you make a few more 1-putts, but it will also help you avoid 3-putts. The things I've mentioned (and there's a lot more to golf than that, too), should make far more difference to your handicap than adding 7 yards to each iron and 20 yards off the tee might. -Andrew

Also, there are a couple long par 4's on my local courses that I just dread playing. I always have 3 or 4 iron in and always bogey or worse on those holes.

I have a Par 4 similar to this on my course. You have to play a drive down the left side, or I'll be looking at my 21* hybrid or 3 Wood into the green from the right side of the fairway. When this happens I still try to play for par, but dont get mad if I make bogey. The next hole is a Par 5, so I usually make a birdie or par. Finishing +1 or +2 on both 9's will get you down to a 5 pretty quickly. So, dont get discouraged by the really hard holes, because, they are hard. Just make sure you take advantage of the easy one's and try to get a few birdies on the card. My best rounds as of late are when I get 2 or more birdies.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you stop because it feels like you completed a shoulder turn or do you stop because you just don't want to overswing? If its the first, i would just work on stretching those mucles out and you'll gain a bit more swing lenght. But if its the other then i would be hesitant doing it because it can throw alot of timing off.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You didn't say how much older? 250 is a decent average length. I am shorter than you by 25 yards. Have you seen your swing on video? If shoulder turn is good but armswing is short I wouldn't change anything. I have found hybrids and utility woods really make a difference. If you are within 10-15 and still not making any one putts then maybe a putting lesson is a good idea,

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Don't get a longer backswing...just watch this guy!

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Don't get a longer backswing...just watch this guy!

Where did that come from... and why?

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Not sure what that completely pointless bit at the end is. His swing is essentially done, yet he expends some more energy by releasing his right arm throwing his left arm awkwardly behind him. Makes an interesting youtube video, but I'd hazard a guess to say he doesn't swing like that on the course. Why would he?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Not sure what that completely pointless bit at the end is. His swing is essentially done, yet he expends some more energy by releasing his right arm throwing his left arm awkwardly behind him. Makes an interesting youtube video, but I'd hazard a guess to say he doesn't swing like that on the course. Why would he?

Stance, swing and release looks just like a baseball player... as well as just like a guy I'm never going to hit next to at the range.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

More shoulder turn can help with distance but lengthening your backswing any other way is not a good idea.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

Thanks everybody. My shoulder turn is ok I guess. I dont get my hands very high. I think my numbers are good for a 10 hdcp. But all the 5 hdcp. I know are very long off the tee. The few holes that I described would play so different for me if I had 6 iron in instead of 3 or 4. I still haven't got any hybrids. Mostly because there are too many to choose from. I rarely get any birdies. seems like I never get more than 1 a round. My last 2 rounds I started 36 38 on the front(easier) Just to finish 81 82 total. I actually tied a very low hndcp on the front. But he ended up with 73 to my 81. He reached the green on my nemesis par 4's plus both par 5's. This back nine really has my number. There are some fairly easy holes, I guess I'm gonna have to birdie some of those. Gonna look at some hybrids and work hard on short game.

At first I went to YouTube to find some pro swings that had a shorter backswing. Then I saw this guy and thought it was interesting / funny.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Note: This thread is 4900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!