IGNORED

What do caddies use for an on course notebook?

Artimas
Note: This thread is 4872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Where can I get a the notebooks caddies use? I'm talking about the tall narrow ones that fit in your back pocket.

Thanks very much in advance for any replies.

George Lucas, Arnie's old caddie, made them for most of the tour courses. Some courses have his books available for sale in the golf shop. I bought his book for Brown Deer Park (home of GMO) back in '01 when I played there. It had some funny comments on certain holes. I believe most of them start with a book like that then make their own notes.

You mean like a yardage book? Alot of courses have yardage books for sale in the pro shop, or you can just make you own using Google Earth.

If you just want one to look cool by pulling a notepad out before every shot, you can always find memo pads at Dollar Tree (no one will know it's not real).
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

Thanks for the replies. I actually meant the blank notebooks, not the yardage books. I want to start making an on course notebook to keep notes for myself about certain shots and other info that would be useful as I learn to play better.
I haven't found a good convenient notepad that fits well in my pocket but is still easy to grab. The caddie and course yardage books I see around are a good size, but I don't know where to get a blank one.

Thanks!

I use a course yardage book from my home course and make notes on it. Little reminders like, "plays 1/2 club long" or "fairway pushes tee balls right". After a while most of that becomes 2nd nature, but until you know a course the notes are helpful.

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I used to carry a memo pad with me everywhere so I could write myself memos anytime I needed to. Eventually I stopped and started using my iTouch, but I loved that memo pad while I used it. I'm guessing you want something similar.

The pad was basically pocket-sized and had a padded front/back, rather than the thin paper/cardboard fronts that get chewed up easily. I can't find an image online, but here's an image of the paper pads they sell to go inside of it. I got my from Wal-Mart for around $5 I think, and last I checked they still sold it in their office supplies section. The company is Ampad, the model class is Embassy. It's just a padded, rectangular little black book with gold "MEMO" on the front.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

This may be what you're looking for...

$30? Wow, pricey. I use a pocket notebook on the course as well to track certain stats that i then put into my golfshot iphone app later on. I just walked into a staples and found a notebook that fit into my pocket and that was that. Cost a couple of dollars. Not sure if I would dish out $30 for a fancy one like that when it's not necessary.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

Thanks to all who replied. Some good tips on what I can use. I think I'll check out the art store and memo book suggestions. I appreciate the USGA Amazon link but agree that $30 is pricey for a notebook.

Thanks again, all!

One thing to keep in mind. The yardage books I see on TV, or in person, appear to have a plastic or laminated cover. This makes sense, because the guys keep them in their back pocket which is going to be a sweaty area during the summer.

I would avoid leather or paper covers, unless you're not going to put it into your pocket.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

I found a nice leather one at staples. The memo pads can be refilled or replaced so you can have a separate memo pad for each course. Mine also has a small calculator built into the cover...kinda handy. Not only do I use it on the course, but it is handy at the range to keep your yardages for each club dialed in.

When a company makes a club in the USA I will proudly display their brand here. All of mine were made in china by somebody making $2 a day. Shame on you Mr club manufacture.

If you want to look cool like me, Burberry Golf sells a protective cover for things like this.

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

Note: This thread is 4872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!