IGNORED

Average Drive Carry Distance

Big Don
Note: This thread is 3614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 members have voted

1. 1. How Far Do You Carry Your Drive?

• Less than 200 yards
    • 200-225 Yards
    • 225-250 Yards
    • 250-275 Yards
    • Over 275 Yards

, i find it hard to believe there are 10-20 handicaps who h it the ball 300. BUt I mean if thats what it is thats what It Is I guess, good that you hit it long.

It may be rare, but there are people who just naturally generate a lot of club head speed. I am not a great golfer. I have a self taught swing (I am now taking lessons). But from the time I was a kid I could hit the ball long (not straight). I do average close to 300 off the tee (checked with skycaddie GPS). I've seen a few other 10-20 handicappers that hit it 300 (just not in the fairway). Distance is great, but keeping the ball in play is even better.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be rare, but there are people who just naturally generate a lot of club head speed. I am not a great golfer. I have a self taught swing (I am now taking lessons). But from the time I was a kid I could hit the ball long (not straight). I do average close to 300 off the tee (checked with skycaddie GPS). I've seen a few other 10-20 handicappers that hit it 300 (just not in the fairway). Distance is great, but keeping the ball in play is even better.

my thing is 20 handicaps dont generally hit the ball well enough or have a repeatable swing to hit it 300 consistantly even if they do generate a lot of clubhead speed. and its hard to tell how far you hit it if its not in the fairway

my thing is 20 handicaps dont generally hit the ball well enough or have a repeatable swing to hit it 300 consistantly even if they do generate a lot of clubhead speed. and its hard to tell how far you hit it if its not in the fairway

I've been saying for years that they really should start putting yardage markers in the rough. It would help me a lot!!!

I would aggree with you on the repeatable part. And I have seen a ton of people who SAY they hit it 300 but actually average about 240. But there are a few "Happy Gilmore" types out there.

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I know a lot of golfer that can cream a driver 280+ but can't hit an iron to save their lives. These are the people that go to the range and get a bucket of balls and just hit their drivers not thinking that you only hit your driver 14 holes makes on a typical course.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

I know a lot of golfer that can cream a driver 280+ but can't hit an iron to save their lives. These are the people that go to the range and get a bucket of balls and just hit their drivers not thinking that you only hit your driver 14 holes makes on a typical course.

Yup. I used to be one of those guys. I thought it was called a "DRIVING range" for a reason. I could out drive everyone off the box but still write down an 8 for the hole. I was a 30 something handicap that could drive the ball 300 yards right down the center (of the trees), and couldn't hit an iron to save my life.

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel

• 3 weeks later...
I know a lot of golfer that can cream a driver 280+ but can't hit an iron to save their lives.

Sounds sort of like me. I however can hit my irons decently well (especially my 3 iron, it is so money). But, I can't chip or putt to save my life.

Here's my typical golf hole. Imagine it's 400 yards, par 4. 1. Drive the ball 250 yards down the middle of the fairway. 2. Short iron, either on the green, or missed short and/or right because mishit. 3a. If off green, blade or skull chip to opposite fringe. 3b. If on green, putt and miss badly. 4, 5, and sometimes 6. Putt and miss, until eventually one goes in.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I am older 48 weigh 145 and use a conventional grip carry the ball 250+.
I live and play golf in Northern Louisiana and depending on the time of year we definately have a humidity problem (we have to use different types of balls based on our weather) any how I measure my drives by the distance of the second shot... Seems simple but many folks forget that if we are left with 110 yards on a 337 yard par 4 we only hit our driver 227 yards with roll. hmm! A guy hitting 300 yard drives all of the time should wear out wedges fairly often right?

Dale Alsandor

What's in the bag:KZG Gemini 460 with MATRIX stiff shaft (blue)Sonartec NP 15 degree fairway metalSonartec 5 fairway metal 21 degree with MATRIX stiff shaft (blue)Cleveland HALO 19 degree with stock stiff shaftHogan CFT 28 degree hybrid KZG Evolution Irons with Nippon 1050...

My average carry is probably 270-280, but I get the ball up high so not much roll at all.

In My Bag :

Driver : HiBore XL
3 Wood : Launcher Gold
Hybrid : 3i Halo 22*Irons : CG4 4-PWWedges : 588 DSG RTG 52* CG11 56* / 60*Putter : GM Exchange2 #4Ball : Z-URS

230-250. Usually with little to no roll, but the place is so dry right now (hasn't rained in almost two weeks), that I get 50 yards of roll.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

My average drives carrying about 245-255.
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
270+ for carry.......changes from one drive to the next depending on the hole......i regularly hit over 300 with roll....but i try to alter the trajectory of my drives depending on the hole i'm playing......when i need to play safe or if there's a strong head wind....i'll hit stingers that roll a ton...when i can let it rip with a tail wind....i get the ball up there, but hardly get any roll...biggest drive so far on my home course is 373 yards

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

i'm lucky to carry it 210 these days, but my course has fast fairways, so i get at least 20 yards of roll.

speaking of carry, did anybody else see JB holmes at 18 carry his drive 350? then make bird and hit a 355 yarder to win in the playoff? that would so fun to do that just once....sigh....

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Average carry in air about 250.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I usually hit my drives 285-290 and i get no roll at all so about 95% of my driver distance is on the fly.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

Note: This thread is 3614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!