IGNORED

Should the "Tattoo 5" sit out the Sugar Bowl?.....Thoughts

ElWagonne
Note: This thread is 4806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

Personally I think its all BS. I mean the NCAA has some pretty ridiculous rules and they are very bias in their punishments. If it had ben USC, they would have suspended the whole team two years from now and taken away a bowl game or two (sarcasm)...

I dont really see the big deal in selling YOUR OWN PERSONAL BELONGINGS! Its no different than trading any other belongings. What is it that makes this so damaging, seriously? I dont think there should be a punishment or anything. BUT if the NCAA is going to punish them why shouldnt it be for this game!? Makes no sense to me...

The problem lies in that big boosters could make arraingements with star players.  They could simply say "we can't pay you, but we can buy your stuff."  That would open up a bigger can of worms than the old SWC of the 70s & 80s.  Before you knew it, guys would be selling a practice t-shirt for $1000.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

Personally I think its all BS. I mean the NCAA has some pretty ridiculous rules and they are very bias in their punishments. If it had ben USC, they would have suspended the whole team two years from now and taken away a bowl game or two (sarcasm)...

I dont really see the big deal in selling YOUR OWN PERSONAL BELONGINGS! Its no different than trading any other belongings. What is it that makes this so damaging, seriously? I dont think there should be a punishment or anything. BUT if the NCAA is going to punish them why shouldnt it be for this game!? Makes no sense to me...

A few reasons. First, as goblue107501 pointed out, the boosters. Secondly, they don't want to give these athletes preferential treatments that normal college students don't get. They already get scholarships, giving the students free stuff with a knowledge that they are going to sell them comes awfully close to outright paying them.

Or, at least that's the way I've heard it explained.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see it in 2 ways

1. If they are going to suspend them do it for the bowl game

2. I think the whole thing is stupid if they were selling things that was given to them and is their property why is it the ncaa's business if they choose to sell it. I agree with suspensions for taking money, dealing with an agent, etc. I just don't agree with suspending them if they are selling what is rightfully their property. I'm not sure about the tattoo ordeal because no money changed hands so to me no harm no foul.

also Pryor might as well go to the draft because I don't think even playing another full year will get his draft stock up anymore than it is currently.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Hmmmm i remember earlier in the season, yenner calling Florida players thugs, it seems OU has some thugs of their own.  But so does every campus

Titleist 913 D2 8.5
Titleist 913 3 wood 13.5

Titleist 910 17* hybrid
Titleist 714 AP2's   3-GW

Titleist Vokey 54& 58 
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar  Pro V1

GO GATORS!!!!

Originally Posted by gators13

Hmmmm i remember earlier in the season, yenner calling Florida players thugs, it seems OU has some thugs of their own.  But so does every campus

Selling jersey/awards for $ does not equate to "thugs"

it's funny how this entire forum has pretty much the same opinion: "if you're going to suspend, the first game suspension should be the bowl." and we all agree to the reason why they're playing in the bowl game: money. Despite this, the NCAA is moving along w/ business as usual pretending to be an amateur game.

On another note, why didn't these guys wait a few years to sell this stuff? Especially, if they're coming back, a Pryor jersey would be worth so much more if he became a heisman and national championship winner.

Oh I agree, but he was refering to Florida players getting in trouble. (Urban suspended them)

Titleist 913 D2 8.5
Titleist 913 3 wood 13.5

Titleist 910 17* hybrid
Titleist 714 AP2's   3-GW

Titleist Vokey 54& 58 
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar  Pro V1

GO GATORS!!!!

I'm a big Ohio State Buckeye fan, due to the fact that I live in Columbus, Ohio. There were actually six people involved in all of this, but they haven't been sat out for the Sugar Bowl, because of money. Everyone would rather watch the superstar's play, and the university and the NCAA make more money that way. They sold their rings, gold pants, etc. for tattoos, but some of them sold them to support their families. Honestly, even though I'm an OSU fan, they should've been only suspended for the Sugar Bowl; but not the first five games at the beginning of the season. But, they've had to pay anywhere from a couple hundred, all the way to several thousands to charity for what they've done. I just think they should be able to do whatever they want with their own property though.

Originally Posted by Brendon

I'm a big Ohio State Buckeye fan, due to the fact that I live in Columbus, Ohio. There were actually six people involved in all of this, but they haven't been sat out for the Sugar Bowl, because of money. Everyone would rather watch the superstar's play, and the university and the NCAA make more money that way. They sold their rings, gold pants, etc. for tattoos, but some of them sold them to support their families. Honestly, even though I'm an OSU fan, they should've been only suspended for the Sugar Bowl; but not the first five games at the beginning of the season. But, they've had to pay anywhere from a couple hundred, all the way to several thousands to charity for what they've done. I just think they should be able to do whatever they want with their own property though.

So you want your players for the important game and not the meaningless one? Gotcha

Which of those players on OSU are superstars?  Pryor isn't even close to a superstar and he is the most recognized of the bunch.

They will all come back next year, none of them are ready for the draft except for Posey.  Pryor better hope that he doesn't lose his spot next year because Braxton Miller is a beast and will be the true freshman starter to start the first 5 games.  If he performs look for Pryor to sit.

As for the NCAA I think the ruling will be taken back, 5 games is a little harsh for something they did as freshman.  Look for a 3 game suspension.

The OSU seniors deserved to have the 5 of them play in the Sugar Bowl.  Without the 5 they would have lost because the defensive back field were playing their 3&4th string players in the second half.

Oh and GO BUCKS!!

Originally Posted by Brendon

I agree I to am I huge OSU fan with my whole family being alums.  It is their own property and should be able to sell.  I'm in college and if I wanted to sell my XBOX the NCAA can't tell me I'm suspended for a week from school.  These college athletes are only allowed to make 500 a month.  That is nothing at all.  I know that they are getting full rides but that does not count books (~$1000) a quarter.  I do think it was disrespectful for them to sell their gold pants an OSU tradition ( I was mad about that) but the 08 championship ring, who cares they shared it that year with Penn State.

They are all enrolled and attending class so none of them have "skirted" the punishment. If they were going pro, they wouldnt be in school right now. As for people saying they should get a stipend... I'm pretty sure they already do... in lieu of a 100K scholarship. As for the suspensions... This isn't comparable to AJ Green because he sold to a person that was deemed an agent... a far more egregious action. The NCAA, from what I have read does not have the power, according to their rules, to suspend people for bowl games. Only institutions can do so for grades, disciplinary, etc. Ohio State could have taken it upon themselves to suspend them but then they would be going against the NCAA ruling thus nullifying and kind of appeal.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

To those saying they shouldn't have played : Will Cam Newton play tonight? Yes. Did Pryor and the others accept $180K in gifts? Not even close. Is there a thread about his eligability? No. Did Legarrett Blount cold clock a player last year? Yes. Did the NCAA do anything about it? No, because Oregon did. When they had a chance to win a BCS game (against us) did Oregon toss him on the roster again? Yes. Did Woody Hayes get banned permanently from coaching for hitting a player? Yes.

Have opinions. That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own. I just wish that ESPN and the rest of the world would be uniform. Players accept $100K+ in gifts and get talked about for 3 weeks. OSU players sell $1500 worth of things they worked hard to earn to help their fam pay bills and it's all the rage and we should burn them at the stake. It's asinine if you take a moment to step back and look at the big picture.

For those saying pryor isn't a good QB and this and that: http://stats.nj.com/cfb/players.asp?id=165589

- 2,772 passing yards for 27 td's.

- 754 rushing yards for 4 td's.

- 2 receiving td's.

Where Pryor stands in OSU history: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2010/12/23/1893723/terrelle-pryor-suspended-ohio-state-nfl-draft-career-stats

So yes, we can all jaw bone all day about the if's and butt's, "but" remember: We're not in their shoes. We don't know them or what they have been through. We don't know their home life.

Ipso facto, I wish Mark May would come to my town just so I could punch him in the mouth. That is all.

Also, I don't recall saying "All FL players are thugs." but to differentiate, as someone already has, selling memorabilia to help your fam does not constitute a "thug".

9.5* Driver
3 Wood
21* 4 Hybrid
5-PW
Zebra 60* SW G-Force Putter

Is this you?

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Do you think the NCAA is out to get OSU?  Is there any proof that Cam accepted 180k in gifts? Blount hit another player in the first game of the season.  He was suspended for almost the whole season.  And to compare that to a COACH hitting a PLAYER is asinine.  Totally not comparable circumstances.

Sorry, 2772 with 27 td's and 11 int's against inferior competition is not impressive.  And as for where he stands in OSU history?  He sits behind 4 players that never did anything in the pros.  Has OSU ever had a QB go to the pros and do anything?  Prior is garbage at QB and will be luck to be drafted as a project QB in the NFL.  He will end up being some kind of receiver or te.

Originally Posted by yenner

To those saying they shouldn't have played: Will Cam Newton play tonight? Yes. Did Pryor and the others accept $180K in gifts? Not even close. Is there a thread about his eligability? No. Did Legarrett Blount cold clock a player last year? Yes. Did the NCAA do anything about it? No, because Oregon did. When they had a chance to win a BCS game (against us) did Oregon toss him on the roster again? Yes. Did Woody Hayes get banned permanently from coaching for hitting a player? Yes.

Have opinions. That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own. I just wish that ESPN and the rest of the world would be uniform. Players accept $100K+ in gifts and get talked about for 3 weeks. OSU players sell $1500 worth of things they worked hard to earn to help their fam pay bills and it's all the rage and we should burn them at the stake. It's asinine if you take a moment to step back and look at the big picture.

For those saying pryor isn't a good QB and this and that: http://stats.nj.com/cfb/players.asp?id=165589

- 2,772 passing yards for 27 td's.

- 754 rushing yards for 4 td's.

- 2 receiving td's.

Where Pryor stands in OSU history: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2010/12/23/1893723/terrelle-pryor-suspended-ohio-state-nfl-draft-career-stats

So yes, we can all jaw bone all day about the if's and butt's, "but" remember: We're not in their shoes. We don't know them or what they have been through. We don't know their home life.

Ipso facto, I wish Mark May would come to my town just so I could punch him in the mouth. That is all.

Also, I don't recall saying "All FL players are thugs." but to differentiate, as someone already has, selling memorabilia to help your fam does not constitute a "thug".

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

Seems that the Ohio State has run into a slight issue with players selling awards,personal artifacts and trading their fame for various services.  The players (including star QB Terrelle Pryor) will have to sit out 5 games next year, but get to play in the upcoming bowl game.  My thoughts?

1) Is the NCAA fair (i.e. Newton saga vs this).....eh NO (goes for AJ Green, who was in a very similar situation....4 games for selling a bowl jersey)

2) Is this the last college game for Pryor.....pretty much

3) Should these young men have to sit out the bowl game.....depends on your view of paying college players.  I've been of the opinion that the players should get a reasonable stipend to play, since they have no way to work a part-time job like a normal college student.  However, if you're gonna suspend, bowl game should count as game one.

It turns out now that old SweaterVest knew about this well before last season began.  OSU suspending him for 2 games that are against lower level opponents is just enabling Tressel.  This action, basically hiding and or lying about potential violations, makes him no better than RichRod, Bruce Pearl, etc. Add this to the entire Clarett situation and the Troy Smith issue and the only recourse for Coach Tressel is termination.  The Ohio State needs to 'man up' and tell SweaterVest that they are tired of his presence (and playing dumb) and dismiss him.

As a Michigan fan, sweatervestgate is hilarious.  The guy was given info that players were breaking NCAA rules, did nothing about, tried to sweep it under the rug, then lied to the NCAA about it in December.  Then when he was caught, tried to play dumb and say he made a mistake in judgement.  My hunch is that when this is over, he'll get more than 2 games.  That is a smokescreen by OSU so they can say they acted swiftly when the news came out.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Note: This thread is 4806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!