IGNORED

Horrible Experience at a course in Vero Beach, FL

Note:Β This thread is 5004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I was in Northern Vero Beach last week, and played a round at Sandridge Golf Club. Β One of only a few public golf courses near by. Β Well it was horrible. Β The cart staff was rude and had very snob better than you attitude. Then the Ranger was very inconsiderate and rude. They need to teach there 60+ yr old staff how to treat customers if they ever want anyone to come back. Β The management said they would handle it but I have a feeling that wasn't going to happen. Β Just be careful if you go down there and play golf. If you can play any of the private course you would be much better off.

Building limbs for people who need them!

You should create this course in the "Courses" tab and write a review so everyone can see. This will help all golfers. Even if they are unable to read this thread.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check outΒ Evolvr

:callaway:Β Rogue ST 10.5* |Β :callaway:Β Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade:Β P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist:Β 716Β AP2Β | Β :edel:Β Wedges 50/54/68 |Β :edel:Β Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67Β (18 holes),Β 32Β (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In what way were you mistreated?Β  I know nothing of the course, and have never played there, but it gripes me when people make anonymous negative comments without any details.Β  It's a municipal course, so you probably shouldn't expect country club treatment.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

In what way were you mistreated?Β  I know nothing of the course, and have never played there, but it gripes me when people make anonymous negative comments without any details.Β  It's a municipal course, so you probably shouldn't expect country club treatment.

Agree with this post. The OP gives no details but from what he does say, it doesn't sound that bad. I personally don't expect princely service at a muni course and would not feel the need to post online about a rude ranger.

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

You should create this course in the "Courses" tab and write a review so everyone can see. This will help all golfers. Even if they are unable to read this thread.

Yeah that would be a good thing to do. Β I will get on that in the next day or so.

For those who think I'm just anonymously bashing a golf club, I'm just tell my experience at a particular course.

Okay, I will give you all a run down. Β I'm a 25 yr old and recent college grad and as you can see I'm a high handicapper, I play Public and Muni courses all the time here in Atlanta. Β I have never been a private club member nor played at a private club ever before. I went to Vero Beach for Christmas vacation with my girlfriend. Β We had decided to we would play a round while in Vero. Β Their weren't many public course in the area in which we were staying. Β I used Golfnow and found Sandridge golf course, a Municipal course about 20 mins from where we were staying. Β I booked a mid afternoon tee time. Β Well the day comes and we go to the course and head into the club house. Β I'm greeted by the pro shop staff and I checked in about 1 hr prior to tee time so we could hit some range balls. After checking in, we headed outside to check out the carts. As we walked toward the cart house I was asked "what are you doing?" in a stern tone. Β I responded with "checking out the cart situation." Β The gentleman in near the cart house says "where are your bags?" I replied "by my car". Β "Well we don't allow our carts in the parking lot" said the gentleman in a rude tone as he points at a sign behind me. Β "Oh, okay I didn't know that..." I said. "That is why we have a bag drop" said the man cut me off in a condescending tone. So my girlfriend and went to car to get our clubs. Β I was upset but hey, at least I'm not at work. Β We get our cart and head to the range without any other problems.

We finish up on the range and head down to the first hole, we are about 10 mins early of our tee time. Β We wait as the group ahead of us plays on. Β My girlfriend and I get paired with another guy for our round. Β We all tee off, and play to the green, then clear off to the second hole. Β We were very slow for the first hole and a group had come up behind us while on the first hole. Β Being that the next hole was a par 5 and that my girlfriend is new to golf we waited to let the group behind play through. Β Next thing i know i hear a cart come up behind me and its a Ranger. Β I say hello to the gentleman and he doesn't say anything back expect for, " y'all are playing way to slow, we have pace rules around here. I know she doesn't know what she is doing but she will need to hurry up. Β If you can't keep pace you need to let people play through." I just said "know we are letting the group behind play through" Β I know that is a Β tough job dealing with golfers and slow play but it could have been handled more professionally. Β I spoke with a manager after the round and he said he would handle it. Β I have never been treated badly at a golf course until then. Β I don't expect country club service but i do expect to get some respect.

After that experience i will not be spending my hard earned dollars at that course. Β The course was fun to play and nicely kept but be fore warned they may be disrespectful at that place.

Originally Posted by Ryno314

Yeah that would be a good thing to do. Β I will get on that in the next day or so.

For those who think I'm just anonymously bashing a golf club, I'm just tell my experience at a particular course.

Okay, I will give you all a run down. Β I'm a 25 yr old and recent college grad and as you can see I'm a high handicapper, I play Public and Muni courses all the time here in Atlanta. Β I have never been a private club member nor played at a private club ever before. I went to Vero Beach for Christmas vacation with my girlfriend. Β We had decided to we would play a round while in Vero. Β Their weren't many public course in the area in which we were staying. Β I used Golfnow and found Sandridge golf course, a Municipal course about 20 mins from where we were staying. Β I booked a mid afternoon tee time. Β Well the day comes and we go to the course and head into the club house. Β I'm greeted by the pro shop staff and I checked in about 1 hr prior to tee time so we could hit some range balls. After checking in, we headed outside to check out the carts. As we walked toward the cart house I was asked "what are you doing?" in a stern tone. Β I responded with "checking out the cart situation." Β The gentleman in near the cart house says "where are your bags?" I replied "by my car". Β "Well we don't allow our carts in the parking lot" said the gentleman in a rude tone as he points at a sign behind me. Β "Oh, okay I didn't know that..." I said. "That is why we have a bag drop" said the man cut me off in a condescending tone. So my girlfriend and went to car to get our clubs. Β I was upset but hey, at least I'm not at work. Β We get our cart and head to the range without any other problems.

We finish up on the range and head down to the first hole, we are about 10 mins early of our tee time. Β We wait as the group ahead of us plays on. Β My girlfriend and I get paired with another guy for our round. Β We all tee off, and play to the green, then clear off to the second hole. Β We were very slow for the first hole and a group had come up behind us while on the first hole. Β Being that the next hole was a par 5 and that my girlfriend is new to golf we waited to let the group behind play through. Β Next thing i know i hear a cart come up behind me and its a Ranger. Β I say hello to the gentleman and he doesn't say anything back expect for, " y'all are playing way to slow, we have pace rules around here. I know she doesn't know what she is doing but she will need to hurry up. Β If you can't keep pace you need to let people play through." I just said "know we are letting the group behind play through" Β I know that is a Β tough job dealing with golfers and slow play but it could have been handled more professionally. Β I spoke with a manager after the round and he said he would handle it. Β I have never been treated badly at a golf course until then. Β I don't expect country club service but i do expect to get some respect.

After that experience i will not be spending my hard earned dollars at that course. Β The course was fun to play and nicely kept but be fore warned they may be disrespectful at that place.

Sorry you were talked down to by a senile ranger (some are great and some should be put out to pasture). Ironically though, your admonition of their stringent "pace of play" rule and "no carts in the parking lot" rule are like a shining beacon of awesomeness to me. I can't wait to play there.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Frankly, if the two conversations are as you describe, I don't find anything rude about them.Β  If you knew you were going to take a cart, why didn't you use the bag drop?Β  Would have eliminated your first bad encounter.Β  In the second case, it sounded like the ranger was doing his job in trying to keep the pace of play.Β  So many courses do not have a proactive ranger, and it creates nothing but problems for everyone.

Also, be aware that Christmas vacation in Florida is when all the "snowbirds" head south.Β  Some are good golfers.Β  Most, in my experience, are not.Β  Chances are, after riding herd on numerous slow golfers that day, the marshal probably had reached the end of his patience.Β  He should have been respectful, but it is his job to keep the pace of play up.

Anyway, too bad about your experience.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Sorry you were talked down to by a senile ranger (some are great and some should be put out to pasture). Ironically though, your admonition of their stringent "pace of play" rule and "no carts in the parking lot" rule are like a shining beacon of awesomeness to me. I can't wait to play there.

Frankly, if the two conversations are as you describe, I don't find anything rude about them.Β  If you knew you were going to take a cart, why didn't you use the bag drop?Β  Would have eliminated your first bad encounter.Β  In the second case, it sounded like the ranger was doing his job in trying to keep the pace of play.Β  So many courses do not have a proactive ranger, and it creates nothing but problems for everyone.

Also, be aware that Christmas vacation in Florida is when all the "snowbirds" head south.Β  Some are good golfers.Β  Most, in my experience, are not.Β  Chances are, after riding herd on numerous slow golfers that day, the marshal probably had reached the end of his patience.Β  He should have been respectful, but it is his job to keep the pace of play up.

Anyway, too bad about your experience.

Im agree about the carts in the park lot issue. Β But the guy could have been more professional in going about telling me their rules. Β I didn't know they had a bag drop because i couldn't see it until i came out of the other side of the pro shop. Okay the pace of play problem was caused by myself. Β i was attempting to being a proactive golfer and knowing i was holding people up and trying to allow the faster 1 player group behind me go by. Yes the ranger may have had a bad day but is that any reason to be so snappy? Β If the guy had just have not snapped into his speech i would have told him what i was doing, which was what he wanted. Β Basic respect for customers and customer service goes along way, just ask the Executive of Home Depot.

Originally Posted by sean_millerΒ Sorry you were talked down to by a senile ranger (some are great and some should be put out to pasture). Ironically though, your admonition of their stringent "pace of play" rule and "no carts in the parking lot" rule are like a shining beacon of awesomeness to me. I can't wait to play there.

If it were just the rule I might agree, but I'm with the OP: the way it was handled sounds unacceptable.Β  I'm sure the cart staff get tired of explaining the rule again and again, but that's no excuse: that is what they get paid for, even if it's just a muni course.Β  There's also a difference between having a stringent pace of play rule and being dicks about it.Β  There's often no way to know after one hole whether a group is going to be problematic or whether they just had a bad hole, so at the very least the ranger needs to approach them gently and politely to be sure they are aware that they were falling a bit behind.

End of the day or not, his job is to ensure that everyone on the course has a good experience, not just to keep things moving.Β  Snapping at a group after one hole isn't doing his job very well...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10Β° driver, FT 21Β° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15Β° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52Β° GW, Tom Watson 56Β° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60Β° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I just want to preface this by saying that it sucks to be talked to like a jerk, especially on a vacation, and especially when you feel you did nothing to deserve it. But here's another perspective on this:

Where I'm from, the course rangers are complete do-nothing pussies who let anything go. I wish they took their job more seriously and were jerks from time to time to people taking too long. The 6 hour round is commonplace here.

But here's my question: Was the course busy that day? If so, you don't let people play through. That was your fatal mistake. Where is the group behind you gonna go if the course is busy and there's not much room ahead? It just makes everything slower. The correct play here is to speed up your play. Its your responsibility as the more experienced golfer to let your girlfriend know what the deal is i.e. that the course is for playing, not teaching her anything. That she needs to keep her swings per hole at a minimum to not hold anyone behind you up, etc.

If the course was relatively empty though and there were like 3-4 empty holes in front of you, then you did the right thing and that ranger needs to remove that stick that's wedged firmly in his rear.

Constantine

Originally Posted by zeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_millerΒ Sorry you were talked down to by a senile ranger (some are great and some should be put out to pasture). Ironically though, your admonition of their stringent "pace of play" rule and "no carts in the parking lot" rule are like a shining beacon of awesomeness to me. I can't wait to play there.

If it were just the rule I might agree, but I'm with the OP: the way it was handled sounds unacceptable.Β  I'm sure the cart staff get tired of explaining the rule again and again, but that's no excuse: that is what they get paid for, even if it's just a muni course.Β  There's also a difference between having a stringent pace of play rule and being dicks about it.Β  There's often no way to know after one hole whether a group is going to be problematic or whether they just had a bad hole, so at the very least the ranger needs to approach them gently and politely to be sure they are aware that they were falling a bit behind.

Since neither one of us were there, we have to take the OP at his word on how these events took place. Considering he stated they took a long time to play the first hole, and actually hadΒ to let a group play through on the second tee box (they were even in carts - aren't they supposed to be faster?!) I'd be willing to suggest that rather than a grumpy cart guy and a grumpy ranger, we're discussing a guy who wanted to impress his girlfriend and instead got scolded for not having his sh** together.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

JetFan:

No the course was not too busy. Β There wasn't anyone behind us for more than 45+ mins. Β After the first hole we didn't hold anyone up b/c their wasn't anyone else behind us for a long time and that is why i chose a late afternoon,middle of the week tee time.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeg

Quote:

Since neither one of us were there, we have to take the OP at his word on how these events took place. Considering he stated they took a long time to play the first hole, and actually hadΒ to let a group play through on the second tee box (they were even in carts - aren't they supposed to be faster?!) I'd be willing to suggest that rather than a grumpy cart guy and a grumpy ranger, we're discussing a guy who wanted to impress his girlfriend and instead got scolded for not having his sh** together.

First off, i have no need to try to impress my g/f. Β Secondly I had my shit together and was trying to be a thoughtful and responsible player and allow speed golfers (like you!) Β play through. Β Not everyone can play a 2.5 hr 18 holes. sorry if you have been held up by slower inconsiderate groups before. Β Not all beginners or novice players are jack wipes and won't let you go ahead. We wonder why golf gets such a stuck up name. General respect for another player is gone just because they aren't as good as you and happen to play slower than you.

In Conclusion: I wasn't happy with the way the staff treated me. Β If you a low handicapper and don't mind some abuse go for it. Β For the slower high handicappers still learning you might want to think twice about play at that golf course.

Ryno,

Thanks for the heads up.Β  There's no excuse for course rangers to be jerks if you're polite and responsible, especially in this economy.Β Β It's their job to represent the course in the best possible way and help the customers.Β  I'm certain there are 100 others waiting that would take the job.Β  Plus the fact that it scares away future players, like your girl friend.Β  Why would they want to play a sport where jerky old guys on carts intimidate them for being a novice?

My wife is a novice player.Β  One thing we do when playing a new course is to play a best ball style for the first couple of holes to speed things up and get her to relax.Β  That way she doesn't have to hit out of a bad lie and we get away from the crowds on the first hole.Β  She usually relaxes after the second hole.

Best of luck.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Ryno,

Thanks for the heads up.Β  There's no excuse for course rangers to be jerks if you're polite and responsible, especially in this economy.Β Β It's their job to represent the course in the best possible way and help the customers.Β  I'm certain there are 100 others waiting that would take the job.Β  Plus the fact that it scares away future players, like your girl friend.Β  Why would they want to play a sport where jerky old guys on carts intimidate them for being a novice?

My wife is a novice player.Β  One thing we do when playing a new course is to play a best ball style for the first couple of holes to speed things up and get her to relax.Β  That way she doesn't have to hit out of a bad lie and we get away from the crowds on the first hole.Β  She usually relaxes after the second hole.

Best of luck.

Yeah, l should have done that. Live and learn. Β yeah it she greatly improved after the second hole once she had calmed down.

Originally Posted by Ryno314

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Ryno,

Best of luck.

Yeah, l should have done that. Live and learn. Β yeah it she greatly improved after the second hole once she had calmed down.

That was my point. Assuming you can take the power cart to the parking lot, bringing a brand new golfer to an unfamiliar full length course,Β and then not hustling double time on the first hole sound like rookie mistakes. Just chalk it up to experience.

It's always a difficult experience playing with a novice golfer. Personally I'd never take my wife out to a full size course until I knew she could play decently and knew proper golf etiquette. Even then I'd want to go out either very early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the course was not at all busy. It sounds like the OP tried to do this. I think in retrospect the ranger was rude and acted improperly.

this response surprises me a bit and seems a little over the top. Accusing this guy of not having his sh*T together or trying to impress his girlfriend is all besides the point. Golf is a gentleman's/gentlewoman's sport. A game of dignity. I make my living as a touring musician - this has allowed me to play golf in the U.S., Spain, England , Australia and Singapore among other places and I have seen this kind of treatment to beginning golfers and also women golfers everywhere and I find it disgusting.

I see absolutely no reason for rude or snotty treatment to any golfer whether they are scratch golfers or 35 handicaps or new to the game. I DO think that slow play is a problem as well as groups not letting others play through. I ALSO agree that a full length Course can be a lot to ask of anyone new and one should always consider the time of day to take this person to the course. Telling the guy he is just trying impress his girlfriend is more or less the same type of treatment I am talking about - give the guy a break - after all he did PAY for an afternoon of relaxation and fun with his girlfriend.- and the rangers and starters etc. are GOLF COURSE EMPLOYEES.

Golf can be very intimidating to some people and any ranger needs to understand they ARE representing the course AND the game in general .

I marshalled while in grad school to get free rounds and keep my swing together. I encountered slow play as well as beginners etc... all must be dealt with in a professional manor. So the guy didn't see a bag drop sign , had a bad first hole WHATEVER - none of that justifies being treated poorly.

I like to see the game represented better personally.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwedge74 View Post

this response surprises me a bit and seems a little over the top. Accusing this guy of not having his sh*T together or trying to impress his girlfriend is all besides the point. Golf is a gentleman's/gentlewoman's sport. A game of dignity. I make my living as a touring musician - this has allowed me to play golf in the U.S., Spain, England , Australia and Singapore among other places and I have seen this kind of treatment to beginning golfers and also women golfers everywhere and I find it disgusting.

I see absolutely no reason for rude or snotty treatment to any golfer whether they are scratch golfers or 35 handicaps or new to the game. I DO think that slow play is a problem as well as groups not letting others play through. I ALSO agree that a full length Course can be a lot to ask of anyone new and one should always consider the time of day to take this person to the course. Telling the guy his is trying impress his girlfriend is more or less the same type of treatment I am talking about - give the guy a break - after all he did PAY for an afternoon of relaxation and fun with his girlfriend.- and the rangers and starters etc. are GOLF COURSE EMPLOYEES.

Golf can be very intimidating to some people and any ranger needs to understand they ARE representing the course AND the game in general .

I marshalled while in grad school to get free rounds and keep my swing together. I encountered slow play as well as beginners etc... all must be dealt with in a professional manor. So the guy didn't see a bag drop sign , had a bad first hole WHATEVER - none of that justifies being treated poorly.

I like to see the game represented better personally.

I think that was well said!Β  I agree completely with this statment.Β  But this is a forum and expect different opinions on both sides of the spectrum.

But I see it as this. A golf course is offering you a service as does a grocery store.Β  You pay for your service at both. If you get bad service, most likely you wont want to go back to either of them.Β  It's the one providing service who's responsible for ensuring the customer is satisfied.Β  Just my opinion.

Note:Β This thread is 5004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!