IGNORED

What the heck?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 4836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

I don't think there is a good excuse for either of you two's behavior.  You should not have hit your drive until you were sure they were clear and they should have left your ball alone and simply and politely ask you show more caution.  I guess I would add that I personally would have offered to let your group play through if we were constantly holding you up, unless my group was being held up by people in front of us.  Finally I would add the fellow who had your ball must be stupid or armed.  Who in there right mind would challenge someone 30-40 years their junior over what was an accident, albeit an avoidable one?  So while you shouldn't have hit the drive, I congratulate you on your good sense and respect for you elders in not harming an old man over a golf ball (was it a Pro V1?).

I don't know if I really agree with this...  if it was a blind tee shot and they could see the other cart in the group ahead is out of the way it is fair to assume that there is nobody there...

Like so many others have asked, did you start with an apology... because if not you should have.  Other than that, I think you did the right thing and just walk away; it's really not worth it and I'm glad that you realized that.  It really would have pissed me off though.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Anyone else ever deal with an ass like this on the golf course.

You mean people who hit up on you and don't apologise?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I play in a league that has a lot of senior players.  Most of them are great guys but one thing I've noticed is that it's not uncommon for many of them to have a gun in their golf bag.  Why they feel the need to carry a gun on the golf course I can't say, but the odds are pretty good that on any given day any given old fart may well be packing heat!  Maybe they figure they might get into some kind of confrontation with a young guy who could easily kick their arse, so they need an equalizer.  Also remember that when you're that old facing life in prison really isn't that big of a deal...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I would just chalk it up to the price of hitting into someone.  Accident, apology or not, you screwed up big time.  Getting hit by a golf ball can be fatal.  So the old guy was pissed off.  There was a high road to be taken that he obviously chose to avoid.  You acknowledged you had been waiting on them all round.  The wise play would have been to wait until you saw both carts.

I'm always astounded at the cavalier attitude so many people have about hitting into the group ahead.  Accidents do happen, but if they do, apologize profusely for being an idiot.

One time at timber point golf course I was playing on the blue course (for fellow LI'ers) and I this tool thought he was a big man in front of his friend started mouthing off cursing at me as I was trying to tee off on a different hole. They were about 150 yards from me on the 1st hole while I was teeing off on the 2nd. I went down to see what his problem was and I wasn't rude or anything so I said "is there a problem sir?" and he said "yea there is a f****** problem you don't belong on this course you aren't good enough to play on it". So I ignored it got back in my cart and tried to tee off and he just kept going on and on, finally tired of it I went to go punch this guys face in but my cousin reminded me I shouldn't try to get kicked off the course I play 3-4 times a week (when its not snowing 40ft every day). This guy was a real a$$wipe because I am not an adult like him, I am 16 and he was in his mid 40s at the least. Unknowing what this guys problem was seeming I am not a small kid I am nearly 6'3 and this guy has to know I could easily embarrass I simply did not pick a fight with him that day and just went to Sayville which was only like 5 minutes from Timberpoint. If ever met this guy again I would not think twice and shutting his mouth.

Originally Posted by AnthonyGraziano

One time at timber point golf course I was playing on the blue course (for fellow LI'ers) and I this tool thought he was a big man in front of his friend started mouthing off cursing at me as I was trying to tee off on a different hole. They were about 150 yards from me on the 1st hole while I was teeing off on the 2nd. I went down to see what his problem was and I wasn't rude or anything so I said "is there a problem sir?" and he said "yea there is a f****** problem you don't belong on this course you aren't good enough to play on it". So I ignored it got back in my cart and tried to tee off and he just kept going on and on, finally tired of it I went to go punch this guys face in but my cousin reminded me I shouldn't try to get kicked off the course I play 3-4 times a week (when its not snowing 40ft every day). This guy was a real a$$wipe because I am not an adult like him, I am 16 and he was in his mid 40s at the least. Unknowing what this guys problem was seeming I am not a small kid I am nearly 6'3 and this guy has to know I could easily embarrass I simply did not pick a fight with him that day and just went to Sayville which was only like 5 minutes from Timberpoint. If ever met this guy again I would not think twice and shutting his mouth.

This is just weird.  He would have to be shouting at the top of his lungs for you to hear him from 150 yards.  Did you take a 12 on the first hole for him to think you didn't belong on the course?  You said you play 3-4  times a week, so you must be a reasonable golfer. Then, after your altercation, you picked up and left the course on the 2nd hole to play another course?  Sorry, doesn't make sense to me.

No I am really not that bad, he wasnt even behind us when we tee'd off, I par'd the hole.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Quote:

This is just weird.  He would have to be shouting at the top of his lungs for you to hear him from 150 yards.  Did you take a 12 on the first hole for him to think you didn't belong on the course?  You said you play 3-4  times a week, so you must be a reasonable golfer. Then, after your altercation, you picked up and left the course on the 2nd hole to play another course?  Sorry, doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

Quote:

Anyone else ever deal with an ass like this on the golf course.

You mean people who hit up on you and don't apologise?

First, I actually did apologize to the guy, right before he started dropping f-bombs at me. Second, get the facts straight before you call me an ass. Third, learn to spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadess View Post

I would just chalk it up to the price of hitting into someone.  Accident, apology or not, you screwed up big time.  Getting hit by a golf ball can be fatal.  So the old guy was pissed off.  There was a high road to be taken that he obviously chose to avoid.  You acknowledged you had been waiting on them all round.  The wise play would have been to wait until you saw both carts.

I'm always astounded at the cavalier attitude so many people have about hitting into the group ahead.  Accidents do happen, but if they do, apologize profusely for being an idiot.

Sorry I disagree completely. Accidents happen and I have had people hit into me too many times to even count over the years. I have only gotten irritated one time and that's when a group did it numerous times. There is no reason to act like a total ass, and there is no reason to steal another players golf ball.

To answer some other questions, the head pro was standing right next to me when this idiot went off, he is a friend of mine. I had to play it cool for that reason, I was comped for my round, to get in a fight would have been in poor taste, not to mention fighting a man 40 years my senior would be the ultimate in asshole moves.

And yes it was a ProV1, but it had 17 1/2 holes on it so it wasn't exactly a pearl.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I agree with those that say that is the price (a lost ball) of hitting into a group (accident or not). One of them could of been hurt bad and at 80+ we could be talking very bad.

Yes they could of been 'cool' about it, but you started the interaction. Don't hit into them and none of this happens. Maybe the ball came within feet of hitting him in the head, in that case you can see why a guy would be fired up.

I am not saying you tried to start this, it was an accident, but still it is poor form to hit into people. Their form was worse, and I give you full credit for walking away rather than escalating things.

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Quote:

Sorry I disagree completely. Accidents happen and I have had people hit into me too many times to even count over the years. I have only gotten irritated one time and that's when a group did it numerous times. There is no reason to act like a total ass, and there is no reason to steal another players golf ball.

To answer some other questions, the head pro was standing right next to me when this idiot went off, he is a friend of mine. I had to play it cool for that reason, I was comped for my round, to get in a fight would have been in poor taste, not to mention fighting a man 40 years my senior would be the ultimate in asshole moves.

So you were following this group for 9 holes, knowing that they had two carts.  You get to the LAST hole, then forget to check that BOTH carts were out of range when, if you had waited for two more minutes, none of this would have happened. And you were playing with the head pro, who didn't have enough smarts either, to tell you to wait.

If you are 40 years younger than an 80 year old, then you are in your 40's.  You are old enough to know better.

The only incident I've had over the past 3 years was a foriegn couple I was behind.  I was playing alone.  So, on the 3rd or so hole I'm standing on the tee waiting for them to clear their carts from the fairway so I can hit.  now this is a short par 4, a good tee shot puts , me about 50 yards from the green.  As I see them appraoching the green I start my routine and hit away.  When I look up, she, is walking back down the fairway toward me from the green.  My ball hits about 50 yards from her and they both look up at me standing on the tee.  So we go on about our business, I kind of feel bad after, "kind of" hitting toward them.

So about 5 holes later we are on a par 5 I can sometimes reach in 2.  Same thing....they park the cart near the green and she starts walking back down the fairway from the green as I'm hitting my ball.  I hit a short club to lay up since I dont' want to chance the green today.....she keeps on walking toward me from the green as my ball hits about 25 yards short of her.  now he gets all upset because they can hear my ball "landing" and its upsetting them.  I politely apologize and explain that his wife keeps walking from the green back down the fairway as I'm hitting the ball.  She shouldn't walk backwards down the course.  She was sometimes 60-70 yards short of the green when they parked at the green and she starts walking back toward the tee.  I've never seen this ever before and never since.  He gets all bent......I kind of shu him away after he starts stareing me down .....I just smile .....end of story : )

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bGood View Post

I agree with those that say that is the price (a lost ball) of hitting into a group (accident or not). One of them could of been hurt bad and at 80+ we could be talking very bad.

Yes they could of been 'cool' about it, but you started the interaction. Don't hit into them and none of this happens. Maybe the ball came within feet of hitting him in the head, in that case you can see why a guy would be fired up.

I am not saying you tried to start this, it was an accident, but still it is poor form to hit into people. Their form was worse, and I give you full credit for walking away rather than escalating things.

I guess you have never hit into anyone? Ever in your life? If the answer actually is no then you are lucky, don't play very often, or can't hit a golf ball more than 100 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post

So you were following this group for 9 holes, knowing that they had two carts.  You get to the LAST hole, then forget to check that BOTH carts were out of range when, if you had waited for two more minutes, none of this would have happened. And you were playing with the head pro, who didn't have enough smarts either, to tell you to wait.

If you are 40 years younger than an 80 year old, then you are in your 40's.  You are old enough to know better.

Wasn't playing with the head pro, he just happened to be there. The other two guys I was playing with told me to hit as well they had already hit and thought it was safe. The other cart was already at the green (this was a par 5 BTW) I certainly know better than to hit into people.  I am not so holier than thou like you and the asshat that took my ball to realize accidents happen. I guess I am just not perfect like you two.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bGood View Post

I guess you have never hit into anyone? Ever in your life? If the answer actually is no then you are lucky, don't play very often, or can't hit a golf ball more than 100 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post

Wasn't playing with the head pro, he just happened to be there. The other two guys I was playing with told me to hit as well they had already hit and thought it was safe. The other cart was already at the green (this was a par 5 BTW) I certainly know better than to hit into people.  I am not so holier than thou like you and the asshat that took my ball to realize accidents happen. I guess I am just not perfect like you two.

To be honest I can only recall hitting into a group thrice (on my own fairway). Once on a par five, the group ahead was going for the green in two and they waved us up to hit, and I cleared the group. The second time was the same story on a par three, the group cleared to the back of the green after waving us on, but I over clubbed and hit the ball to where the groups was. Both times it was no big deal as they had waved us up and were watching our shots. The other time I hit a cart path a few times and bounced to a 425yardish drive. The group I hit in to saw what happened, but I still made sure to say sorry...

As for the rounds I play - I play around 100 per year the last few years, but I admit I may have only about 500 rounds lifetime. I have hit drives under 100yards and over 300yards but most of my drives are somewhere between those two numbers. I am not sure why you think I would be lucky to not hit into anyone, if you choose not to, it is pretty easy to do, it is actually hard for most golfers to hit into a group in the middle of the fairway like you did. I guess my efforts to not hit into people has something to do with having a friend lose sight in one eye after getting hit by a ball. He was not hit into (came from the range) but all the same I think we all owe it to our fellow golfers to do our best to keep each other safe.

my $.02 is I would not be pissed you lost your ball, you should feel lucky that you didn't hurt anyone. Yes, as I said the guys did not need to swear and carry on, but like I said, almost getting hit can fire a guy up.

Give some thought to how you would feel if you sent one of those old timer to the hospital?

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Since I have a very low "pH factor", (perfect human) I more than likely would have said, "please return my ball b/c I don't think you'd like it if I accomadated you on that". I don't think I would hit the guy, but I would have gone thru his bag. Hey, but that is just me and as I said, my pH factor is low. Also being a Vietnam vet I still have a good amount of angst that doesn't take much to ignite.

Hey! I grew up in Sayville!.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

All the rude encounters I've had in the last couple of years were from older men.  One was my fault (I really asked for it ) ,   the others were just senseless.

I play a lot of golf with my dad (60 yrs old).  He doesn't have much patience with me or anyone.  I've come to accept this is just common among the elders of the game now. The quicker you accept it, the more tactful you'll be about playing around them.  Cranky old farts anyway!  LOL   {{{{ ATTENTION!!!! }}}}  That last comment was JUST A JOKE!  PLEASE DO NOT SHOOT!

Originally Posted by TXjammer

All the rude encounters I've had in the last couple of years were from older men.  One was my fault (I really asked for it),   the others were just senseless.

I play a lot of golf with my dad (60 yrs old).  He doesn't have much patience with me or anyone.  I've come to accept this is just common among the elders of the game now. The quicker you accept it, the more tactful you'll be about playing around them.  Cranky old farts anyway!  LOL   {{{{ ATTENTION!!!! }}}}  That last comment was JUST A JOKE!  PLEASE DO NOT SHOOT!

Based on the older gentlemen I've played with, they're typically much much more close to "going off" than someone half their age. They're quick to point out the error in the ways others and are extremely judgemental and  . . .  er . . . umm.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXjammer

All the rude encounters I've had in the last couple of years were from older men.  One was my fault (I really asked for it),   the others were just senseless.

Based on the older gentlemen I've played with, they're typically much much more close to "going off" than someone half their age. They're quick to point out the error in the ways others and are extremely judgemental and  . . .  er . . . umm.

I agree and I don't get why. I play with my father in law sometimes in the retirement community he lives in and some of those guys are just mean. Yelling at people to hurry up, complaining because somebody ahead of them hit into the woods, even berating the staff for some reason or another. Hey buddy! You're retired, lighten up a bit.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 4836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!