Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmartin461

If my driver swing speed is 100 mph then my 6 iron should be....?

8 posts in this topic

I was hitting some 6 irons at Golfsmith to see what felt good, almost all showed 79-81 mph on the monitor.

The sales guy said that shouldn't be trusted.  The launch angle was 17 degrees and the spin was around 5500.

I'm just wondering what a normal speed would be for a 6 compared to a driver.

Thanks!

Brad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The short answer in my opinion? Your good iron swing will be slower than your driver swing because accuracy is what you really want.

The long answer in my opinion? I assume that 100mph for your driver is resulting in the teed ball being in the short grass/fairway most of the time? I also assume that you are using only 80% of your "power" to achieve that swing speed? If I am assuming correctly then your iron swing should be done in a very similar way and end up being slightly slower due to the shorter club, difference in club weight, and need for precision on the smaller club face. You don't TRY to swing slower than 80% which would end up being slower than 100mph. For us amateurs it slows naturally when you find the proper swing to strike the ball on the sweet spot on the iron face consistently to put it on or close to the green.

I did a comprehensive fitting recently where my driver SS was generally around 100mph and my six iron generally around 80mph . So there doesn't look to be anything particularly screwy with the numbers you got.

You might check out the GolfWorks MPF Shaft Ratings process. It uses what iron you hit from 150 yds. AND your driver swing speed as one part of the shaft selection formula.

Open this Golfwork 's link. Then, click around on the upper right page so you can zoom in enough you can read what it says.

http://wcv2.com/publication/?i=35013&p;=117

Comparing Driver SS vs. 6i SS gets complicated because of shaft differences: most have graphite shaft in driver and steel in 6i.

If you're swinging identical swings with both clubs (i.e., you are rotating your arms through at the same rotational speed), then assuming a 37" 6I shaft and a 44" driver shaft, the speed for the 6I should be 100 mph times 37/44 = 84 mph.  Obviously the actual differences are more complex (different swing weights, swing planes, and the focus on accuracy mentioned above), I think a few mph below that is to be expected.

It's called algebra my friend...

Average tour pro driver speed = 112

Average tour pro 6-iron speed = 92

92/112 = .82 = 82%

x/100 = .82

x = 100 * .82

x = 82

That's assuming that you try to back off or amp it up like a tour pro on driver vs. 6-iron.

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses, sounds like it was about right.

I was hitting the Mizuno JPX-800's, those are nice irons!

The only way to understand a balls potential speed is to try them youreself. I like a titleist ProV1 myself. There are other balls that go further, but when it comes to all-around performance there is nothing better. Granted, they are expensive. If you can't afford it, get a box of Srixxon Soft in the green box. They are nice around the greens. For distance there are a lot of options. I hit a Taylormade SLDR with a Taylormade Penta ball further then I have ever hit anything else. I usually hit a ProV1 with my Titleist D2 about 240-250 tops. I hit the Penta 295 with the SLDR maxed out for 12 degrees. I can probably hit it further the next time with the wind at my back. This was a right to left wind, and I have a fade. I was literally beside my self. The higher the degree on the face the further the ball goes. I had it set at neutral also. I truly cannot wait until the next T-ball with the new driver. I still love the ProV1 for an all around game ball.The Penta rolls too much for me. I like to stick it. I want to see how the Pro V goes next time. I know it will go atleast 275.  Beautiful!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • (Feel free to move if this isn't an appropriate location) I purchased a SkyTrak launch monitor, and I have been very pleased with the product thus far. I feel that my review/experiences over the past few years may be able to help some or create good discussion on practicing. I don't have practice facilities readily accessible (25 min drive), so I've spent countless hours refining my swing in my garage with a mat/net.  3 years ago I was a 12 hcp and often struggled to make consistent solid contact, but have since lowered my hcp to the 4-6 range. It took a little while to learn the "feel" of different hits/misses while hitting into a net, but I was soon able to identify many different misses (fat, thin, toe, big slice, duck hook, etc) as well as a relatively solid hit.  It was easy to make improvements to my swing, because the difference between my "better" shots and my "worse" shots was easy to determine.   As I continued to improve my ball striking on the mat, I saw positive (although somewhat delayed) results on the course.  Last year, I had finally eliminated the majority of major mis-hits, and my "worse" shots turned into smaller draws and slices as well as small errors in distance control and starting flight path. I found that my mat/net practice sessions mostly consisted of solid feeling hits that went in the general vicinity of my target.  I was no longer getting specific enough feedback to further hone my ball striking.  I would spend a full week practicing what felt great at home, but when I took it to the course, I realized that I actually had a mild-moderate slice/draw that I wasn't aware of.  Basically, it was like hitting an 8 iron and knowing that my ball likely landed somewhere on the green or fringe, but, but not knowing if it was left, right, short, or long. I spent more time going to the range and hitting the course, but my schedule just doesn't allow me to go more than once or twice per week.  My improvement plateaued.   I did some research, and ultimately settled on the $2k SkyTrak instead of the variety of different options.  I considered the Optishot2 and GC2 based on other reviews, but ultimately settled with an in-between.   It was easy to setup, and after 5 minutes of experimenting with different ball positions, I've found it to be very accurate and consistent to the best that I can tell.  I can't attest to the accuracy of the more specific measurements (spin, launch angle, club head speed, etc), but what I "feel" seems to be very consistent with what I see.  The only thing that doesn't "feel" like what I see, is that my stock standard "good" feeling shot has a decent draw to it instead of being straight (remember my problem above?).  Adjusting my baseline "feel" to what is reality, any shots that feel like a draw actually show up as a bigger draw, and what feels like a fade is actually a straight shot.   I can consistently judge a fade, draw, flighted, flop, and my carry to within ~5 yards after I strike the ball.  It truly feels like I'm hitting on the range but with more specific information at my disposal (carry, launch angle, max height, spin).  Even if the numbers aren't perfectly accurate, they seem to be accurate relative to other shots within the same launch monitor (aka spin numbers increase and decrease as would be expected based on swing/club, even if I can't confirm their overall accuracy). I have no clue if SkyTrak was the best bang-for-buck, or if there are better products out there.  I also haven't been able to take it outdoors to confirm flight patterns.  It seems like a very poor setup for anyone wanting to take it to the range - indoor mat/net setup is its niche from my understanding.   I'm only a week in to using it, so my feeling may change over time, but I thought I would share my experience and offer to answer any questions if anyone has them.  Happy golfing!
    • So, I have another lesson on saturday but I've been working hard maintaining my posture during the swing. Over the last few months i developed a trend where on the down swing i would lean my left shoulder toward the ball and my right shoulder would come under and 4 times out of 5 i hit the ball fat. Yesterday's range session showed tremendous improvement, and i was back to hitting good shots again. Now that I have this down, I think it's time for another lesson so I can work on whatever he tells me next. Also, I bought a nike blades 4 iron for fun because I've always liked the look of blades but don't have the balls to actually play them, and I was shocked at how much distance I got, even on mishits. I was even more surprised when I put it on a tee and was hitting the ball almost as far as my 3 wood... just a lot more accurate. Can anyone say Beginners Luck? I think the true cause for this is actually the loft of the 4 iron. The one i have now(Cobra King Forged TEC), has so little loft it feels like i'm attempting to hit driver off the deck and is super tough to hit.
    • We missed some birthdays yesterday: @Bechambo, @Danny The Pin Seeker, @Rick_D, and @ScottHoganGolf. Happy birthday!
    •   Thanks guys! Got to take the kids to the driving range, in Michigan, in mid-Feb! Not bad at all. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. henry granic
      henry granic
      (61 years old)
    2. Jscrillah
      Jscrillah
      (45 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon