• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
walfice

Which 2 piece ball?

walfice    0

I am going to switch from playing premium balls to a 2 piece to gain more distance with my irons (see if the extra distance is worth the sacrifice in green side control) for a trial period.  What do you recommend?  I am thinking of the NXT, Burner or PD long?

noefi13b    3

I will second two of the above suggestions...

AD333 is prob the best all around 2 piece I've played factoring in straightness, spin and distance but I can't seem to get away from the E5(+) as it does seem to hold the greens a little better...

If your just looking for more distance I'd also consider the E6 good value, good feel and good distance...

Originally Posted by noefi13b

I will second two of the above suggestions...

AD333 is prob the best all around 2 piece I've played factoring in straightness, spin and distance but I can't seem to get away from the E5(+) as it does seem to hold the greens a little better...

If your just looking for more distance I'd also consider the E6 good value, good feel and good distance...

e6 is my favorite. cheap 3 piece ball.

max power    34

I'm not putting down the NXT Tour, it's a solid performer (I shot +1 w/ a NXT Tour once).  But I think it's one of the worst bangs for the buck.  You can get 3 and 4 piece urethane covered balls for $30/box, and you can get 3 piece balls with equivalent or superior performance for less money (E6, Gamer, HX Bite).  The best performing two-piece is the E5 (urethane cover), but it'll cost you for a 2 piece ball.  Best 2 piece ball for performance and value is the D2 Feel-$1/ball.

Originally Posted by nickel_aTm

Best bang for the buck (in my world anyway) is the NXT Tour.  But I've also liked the E6.

Golfwolf    0

Bridgestone E5 is a good choice, it is a 2 piece ball with a urethane cover so it will provide some spin on those shots to the green. It is priced in the $25 range for a dozen.

ghalfaire    70

A couple of years ago Consumer Reports did a study of golf balls and measured the spin off the driver and 8 iron. Maybe you can find a copy somewhere.  But in case you can't the best 2 piece ball (low driver spin and high 8 iron spin) was the NIKE Power Distance (soft) in the green box.  I think the second best (but very close) was the  Titleist' NXT (which I don't think they make anymore).  But they only criteria was these two spin rates so other parameters were not considered.  But I have played with the NIKE PD soft and it is a good ball IMO.