IGNORED

Funny Examples of Cheating

Big Don
Note: This thread is 4338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh, yes. That reminds me. In a tournament a couple of years ago, a guy with the initials B.T. entered the tournament as a "12". In the tournament, he shot 73-73 for 146 gross and 122 net. I was also entered as a "12" (but I really was) and shot 84-80 (164 gross, 140 net), which was about as good as I could do. Still I ended up 18 strokes behind him "net". Fortunately the tournament rules only allowed a player to win one way, so the cheater won low gross, but not low net. I don't think he's been allowed to play at our club since then, however.

And you have to love the guy that cheats everytime they are out on the course so they can post a 75. Then when they enter a tournament they are stuck in the championship flight and shoot two rounds in the high 80's - low 90's because they cant take their mulligans, and have to count the duffed chips, missed two footers, and OMG OB really is stroke and distance (how rude!!)

After their score goes up on the board you can always hear them complaining about the course, where the pins were set, how long the rough was, and how they just couldnt find their swing today......... cracks me up every time
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

I play with my stepmom occasionally, and she does two things chronically, that I just can't understand why:

1) She ALWAYS tees off with one type of ball and replaces it with a different type of ball in the fairway for the remainder of the hole. I could ALMOST understand teeing off with one type, and then if there were water protecting a green, then she might change it just so she wouldn't lose a nice ball - but even that's a stretch. Maybe she thinks her one ball is good for distance off the tee, but no good for some reason into a green - honestly, her level of play doesn't warrant changing balls.

2) She routinely tees off a couple club lengths in front of the tee blocks. I don't know - it drives me crazy.

NOW, I play a fair bit of golf with a guy that cheats to an unbelievable degree. I think it's laughable, but if you were to ask what he shoots, he'd say he always shoots low to mid 90's. He's never broken 110 in his lifetime. He drives the ball 150 yards for crying out loud! But you know what, I don't even care. We played up at Taboo (in the Muskoka's in Ontario), he couldn't find his ball....out of the corner of my eye I saw him toss a ball on the ground followed by "GOT IT!" - Whatever.

But one really sneaky thing this guy does, and it took a couple times to realize...on the green, when marking his ball, he casually throws down his coin...8" in front of the ball!!! Then when placing his ball back down, again he casually throws it down....8" ahead of the coin!!! He's instantly picked up 16" merely by marking the ball. CHEATER. I've never called him on it. He get's me free golf all the time.

..... I've never called him on it. He get's me free golf all the time.

Free golf!?!?!? I wouldnt call him on it either..... in fact I'd help him

Cheat on my friend
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

I forgot about one of my regular foursome guys....on the scorecard he shoots high 70's to low 80's. But his crutch is that he has never played the ball down. He tips it EVERYWHERE! I've seen him give himself the absolute perfect lie in hazard. I do call him on it, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I've told him to just put a tee under the ball.

His response is that the course isn't in good enough condition to play the ball down. We play for sody pops after, so nothing much but when the three of us play it down, and he tips it.... And he almost always comes in lower than us.

One time, we all agreed to play it down. By the 6th hole he had broken two clubs and was furious. We told him to forget it and go ahead and tip up if that's what it's going to take to peel you off the moon. Wild stuff!

But one really sneaky thing this guy does, and it took a couple times to realize...on the green, when marking his ball, he casually throws down his coin...8" in front of the ball!!! Then when placing his ball back down, again he casually throws it down....8" ahead of the coin!!! He's instantly picked up 16" merely by marking the ball. CHEATER. I've never called him on it. He get's me free golf all the time.

Wow. I can't believe that I have ignored my frequent golf partners cheating so much that I forgot it was cheating. He marks his ball in front of the ball (with a casual drop, not in any specific spot) and then replaces the ball in front of the mark. I called him on it after about 3 rounds of watching him inch closer to the hole and he didn't think it was cheating. His response was "It helps me get a closer putt" and he was wondering why everyone wouldn't do it.

... He was in gifted classes.

I forgot about one of my regular foursome guys....on the scorecard he shoots high 70's to low 80's. But his crutch is that he has never played the ball down. He tips it EVERYWHERE! I've seen him give himself the absolute perfect lie in hazard. I do call him on it, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I've told him to just put a tee under the ball.

I play with 3 guys that do the same thing for the same stakes (plus $0.25 skins for par or better). I started playing the ball down 2 years ago as I got better at golf, and it drives me nuts that the "noodle" the ball all over the course and encourage me to do the same! Several times, I've had a shot where my ball had picked up some mud on one side and was told to lift, clean and place. I responded with, "how am I going to learn to hit the shot if I don't hit the shot?" They couldn't understand.

I hate playing with them because I'm usually high score by 2-5 shots, meaning that I always pay out, but the 1 or 2 times that they've agreed to play it down have left me with the low score of the group. One guy shoots in the low to mid 80's as he normally plays but is a low 90s guy without noodling.
Driver: Sumo 10.5°
3 Wood: T40
2 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 16°
3 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19°
4 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22°Irons: RAC OS 5-PWWedge: CG12 52°Wedge: 56° SWPutter: RossaBall: Titliest NXT Tour

Well way back in the begining when I couldn't break 100 in my teens I used to do the odd "Smails" kick, not that I mattered much, as I would still shot 105 or so... I can admit it atleast.. I also was very unfamiliar with rules and ettiquete..

when I broke 100 and tried to get to 90, still the odd time but definately not very often...

then I broke 90, got to try and break 80, but low and behold some practice, course management, working with what the lord gave ya, the opportunities to do so were becoming a thing of the past..

now at a 6 cap, I can't remember the last time I did that ...for the RCGA handicap system, it indicates that I can't take more than a double on any given hole...that's why I posted my 11 on a hole this past year, and a 13 on the 13th in a tournament the year before... What ya get is what ya get...lol. Maybe that's why I feel guilty when the drop to nearest point of relief rule works for me..lol (not very often though).. Also just think if you shot 70 or so, how would you feel if you're playing partners know different. Golf is the true gentleman's game, honesty is the way to go... I wouldn't want to be a 12 masquerading as a 6.. would be embarrassing...although I bet there are more 6's masquerading as a 12 I bet!!! bloody sandbaggars! We had that in our club championships this past year... a 10 shot 75, 78, 77 and won his flight by a ton.... I shot 75, 75, 76 and barely beat him in the top flight in which he beat 6 guys....go figure

Also, now I go to a rules seminar every year, just to brush up on stuff.. there's always tons you didn't know or were aware of... Most associations do this.. try it, it's actually fun.... as long as you're not trying to be a know it all....lol

In the bag...

r7 TP 425 (Tour issue) Fuji Fit On X flex
r7 tp 13*/17* GD Purple Ice 85g X (tour issue)
Dual Hybrid TP 19* Aldilla Stiff 680 forged irons rifle 6.5 shafts 4-PW RAC TP Y Cutters Satin Wedges 54/60 with Project X 6.0 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34' ProV1X ballFootjoy shoes, gloves and...

I had something come up Sunday that was odd, not (I don't think) cheating. I was playing a match with a fellow I know and we came down to the last hole with me one down. It's a par five and we're both short of the green in two. My shot was the tougher, as I had to hit uphill, over a trap to a tucked pin. as luck would have it I wound up 30" from the hole. My opponent had a clear line to the pin, but hit his chip too hard and wound up right at the edge of a back tier. The ball should have come back down, but it hung up. He marked, cleaned his ball, replaced it and picked up his mark, whereupon the ball rolled down the slope, about 6' closer to the hole. He said the ball was in play, he hadn't addressed it and he should play it as it lay. I don't know the rule, and we weren't playing for big money, and to be honest, I wasn't watching until I looked up to see it rolling. So I said nothing and let it go. He didn't make the putt and I did, squaring the match. But if anyone knows the rule I'd be interested.

• Administrator
I had something come up Sunday that was odd, not (I don't think) cheating. I was playing a match with a fellow I know and we came down to the last hole with me one down. It's a par five and we're both short of the green in two. My shot was the tougher, as I had to hit uphill, over a trap to a tucked pin. as luck would have it I wound up 30" from the hole. My opponent had a clear line to the pin, but hit his chip too hard and wound up right at the edge of a back tier. The ball should have come back down, but it hung up. He marked, cleaned his ball, replaced it and picked up his mark, whereupon the ball rolled down the slope, about 6' closer to the hole. He said the ball was in play, he hadn't addressed it and he should play it as it lay. I don't know the rule, and we weren't playing for big money, and to be honest, I wasn't watching until I looked up to see it rolling. So I said nothing and let it go. He didn't make the putt and I did, squaring the match. But if anyone knows the rule I'd be interested.

The USGA does have an online rules book:

http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/books/index.html Specifically, I think you'll want to look at http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/bo...le18.html#18-2 .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Saw a guy chunk one in a bunker on a par 3, then proceed to hit another and no one in his group saw him. He looked like the cheating type, so probably a 4 not a 5. =p but I'll never know.

I actually played in a tournament last year with a guy that:

Yes, I've come across this sort of thing once or twice. Maybe guys like this think that, beyond a certain number of strokes on a hole, noone else will notice because they can't keep up with the big score. But in a tournament and all, sheesh .......

People who cheat like this are deserving of our sympathy really, because they must have a rather low opinion of themselves when they do it.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I caught a guy teeing up from behind a bush in scrub after he hit a killer hook.

Reminds me of the time when I was about 12 or 13 caddying for my Dad. He had hit one in the short rough, and as he was getting ready for his next shot, I was just kind of standing around paying attention to nothing in particular.

At the top of his backswing I happened to look down at the ball and couldn't believe what I saw. I wasn't even thinking. I just blurted out the question: "A TEE ????? " The whole thing was so ridiculous even my dad broke out laughing as his ball squirted straight up in the air about 50 yards.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

I play with a kid who has tourettes, and he cheats all the time. After every bad shot he hits (and there are many) he uses the excuse, I was just trying something different, and drops another ball. Acoording to him, everything inside five feet is good. Also, at a western mass golf tournament he teed off from the wrong tees and just kept playing. All this and he still claims he is a 7 handicap.

I played with a guy who would bend over and pretend to check the ball to make sure it was his, at the same time he would slip a Lifesaver candy under it to give it some lift on the fairway. I never called him on it because we were not playing for money and I barely knew the guy.

• 1 month later...
Back in my hay day....which was quite awhile ago.....sniff sniff I golfed in the championship flight of a State Amatuer. The first day I was paired with this 3 handicapper that was an excellent ball striker but he had the worst nerves I have ever seen when he got to the green. He double hit every putt. On the first green he was on in two and had two double hit putts. I asked him what he shot and of course he said "4". I politely said that he double hit both putts and that he really had a 6. Finally before we came to blows I caught the attention of the rules official and he watched this fellow putt on the next 17 holes adding an extra putt to ever putt.......It was an amazing day.....Lmao

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

I am full of cheating stories....sorry guys!!! Last one I promise. I have a friend that uses this huge coin for a ball mark. When he goes to mark it he bumps the ball out of the way and drops the mark. Then to top it off, when he replaces his ball it is always about an inch in front of the marker. So I was figuring that he is getting at least 4 inches closer to the hole everytime he marks it.....But you know he doesnt play for money, so I guess its alright. But if he ever beats me there may be a dispute....lol.......just kidding

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

I play with a kid who has tourettes, and he cheats all the time. After every bad shot he hits (and there are many) he uses the excuse, I was just trying something different, and drops another ball. Acoording to him, everything inside five feet is good. Also, at a western mass golf tournament he teed off from the wrong tees and just kept playing. All this and he still claims he is a 7 handicap.

Give me an infinite supply of mulligans, 5-foot gimmes, and let me play from the red tees, and I'll become a 7 handicap too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!