IGNORED

Slow, Oblivious Idiots

jrm1493
Note: This thread is 4818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by zeg

I tend to agree with your original stance: if they're keeping pace, it's nobody's business how they're doing it.  Since no one else should be concerned with their score, as long as they're not inconveniencing other players, let 'em play whatever tees they want.

I agree with this with some disclaimers. If a player can't reach the fairway with a decent drive, or reach the green in regulation on even the shortest holes, they're certainly on the wrong tee.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by zeg

I tend to agree with your original stance: if they're keeping pace, it's nobody's business how they're doing it.  Since no one else should be concerned with their score, as long as they're not inconveniencing other players, let 'em play whatever tees they want.

I am such a flip-flopper...lol.  I don't lose any sleep over it, but it can be painful to watch.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

One thing I'd like to comment on is the judgments based on clothing...

I'm by no means a great golfer, but I will go as far as wearing a sweater vest and tie to the golf course sometimes.  What's wrong with wanting to be well-dressed?

Originally Posted by adamgoodman

One thing I'd like to comment on is the judgments based on clothing...

I'm by no means a great golfer, but I will go as far as wearing a sweater vest and tie to the golf course sometimes.  What's wrong with wanting to be well-dressed?

I think the point was that he assumed that since they looked like players, they could play. BTW - just because someone adds a tie to their attire doesn't make them well dressed. Ever see Ryan Moore? Looks like he got mugged on the way to the course then found something "golfy" at Goodwill.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I think the point was that he assumed that since they looked like players, they could play. BTW - just because someone adds a tie to their attire doesn't make them well dressed. Ever see Ryan Moore? Looks like he got mugged on the way to the course then found something "golfy" at Goodwill.

I didn't claim it did, but that doesn't change that I still consider myself well-dressed on the golf course.  And personally, I like Ryan Moore's unique style on the course.  My point somewhat off topic.  It's like some golfers expect a player's skill level to be plastered on their chest.  I would much rather see a talentless golfer at least look the part while on a course as opposed to having their presentation equal to their skill level.

I didn't claim it did, but that doesn't change that I still consider myself well-dressed on the golf course.  And personally, I like Ryan Moore's unique style on the course.  My point somewhat off topic.  It's like some golfers expect a player's skill level to be plastered on their chest.  I would much rather see a talentless golfer at least look the part while on a course as opposed to having their presentation equal to their skill level.

If they're in the group ahead of me, I'd prefer playing quickly over looking sharp every time.

If they're in the group ahead of me, I'd prefer playing quickly over looking sharp every time.

I'm starting to feel like we're having two entirely different conversations.

I'm starting to feel like we're having two entirely different conversations.

I was trying to steer the discussion back to what I interpreted as the OP's train of thought. If he actually meant their natty attire was a contributing factor to their slothful behaviour, or the bar should be set higher because of it, then I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by Chris G

I dont mind slow play if there is a good reason for it, ie - in a comp and people are taking more time etc thats understandable but your situation I can totally agree with its annoying.

I don't consider a competition as an excuse for slow play.  There really is no excuse for it.  Players in a competition should actually be better versed in the game, and the rules and etiquette of the game.  Slow play is simply unacceptable at any time.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Ok, so I do care and you are right.  I just didn't want my bias to show.  I have had people play back with my group and keep pace no problem, but as a general rule it does kind of make me crazy to see someone play the tips that has no business being there.  I just didn't want to admit it.  LOL - you busted me.

LOL.  It's all good man and a great discussion / thread.  I also can't say that it ruins my day me to see it but I guess I've experienced people playing the back tees enough times when they shouldn't (not able to carry their shot to the fairway) that is just erks me.  In the case of the OP, one of the first things he mentioned was that these guys were playing from the tips and that right there "created the environment" or "judgment" I guess you can say.  At the end of the day, it is what it is.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Ok - I do think most of you have a point that my comment about one guy wearing pants was out of line.  I was just generally frustrated and I shouldn't have commented on his clothes; I wouldn't have cared if he had been wearing cutoff jean shorts and a wife beater if he had just played fast.  He was better dressed than me, there's no question about that.  I think I just expected better ettiquite from someone who looked like he cared about the game. For better or worse, when you see someone who is well dressed, you expect that they know how to play, or at least know some basic golf ettiquite (as in not holding up a larger less experienced group behind).

And, I know I'm lucky to be able to play this time of year... it was just that I don't get out there as much as I'd like due to other commitments and I was really frustrated to have this happen to me when I finally did get out there.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

I guess I have two reactions to this thread. The first is, I've learned that how well people dress and how "pretty" their clubs are simply may not match their skill levels. As a female, I initially found myself intimidated by well-dressed, well-armed guys. But I quickly discovered that I actually play better than many of them (I usually score about a 105 from the chick tees).

At the same time, I've found that there's an assumption that as a female, I will play slowly. This just isn't true. I take no more than two practice swings and if I'm really sucking it up for some reason (usually putting), I will pick up. Usually I am ahead of pace. Never once have I been chastised by a marshal for slow play.

This past week, my husband and I were in Orlando, playing as a twosome at one of the Disney courses (Palm). There was a slowish group in front of us, primarily because there was a "group outing" (marshal's words, not mine) of about 12 players in front of them. In other words, there wasn't much we could do about the pace of play. And honestly, given the fact that Disney offers resort courses (not private clubs), I expected that we'd encounter some slower play. Not a big deal. Enjoying the sun, the beautiful course, the beer....

Anyway, we did see the marshal stop at the foursome behind us and presumably explain the situation to them. Somewhere around the 10th hole, however, they started coming very close to hitting into us. I just didn't get it. What were they hoping to achieve? Clearly, the course was clogged in front of us and not much could be done. Finally, at the 15th hole, they hit so that they were only about 30 yards away from us as we were chipping onto the green.

I'd had it. So, in the hole, I left them one of the laminated cards I keep in my wallet. It reads "you are a douche." And I wrote on the card, "Relax: it's a game!"

I'll admit that my behavior could have been better. But at least it stopped them from hitting into us for the final three holes.

Originally Posted by Miss Shanksalot

. . .  Finally, at the 15th hole, they hit so that they were only about 30 yards away from us as we were chipping onto the green.

I'd had it. So, in the hole, I left them one of the laminated cards I keep in my wallet. It reads "you are a douche." And I wrote on the card, "Relax: it's a game!"

I'll admit that my behavior could have been better. But at least it stopped them from hitting into us for the final three holes.

No offense intended, but maybe that guy was hitting a shot that was meant to end up precisely 30 yards short of the green. 30 yards is a 3-club difference and that's really not so hard to plan around. I've played with guys who did that when the course was slow. They'd lay up on purpose so they could walk up their shot and prepare for a pitch, rather than stand there in the landing area and wait for an opportunity to hit a full shot. They cost themselves strokes, but were doing their part to keep the group behind them happy. Those cards sound cute at first, but be honest. If you were honestly not trying to hit into the next group, then received that card, how would you feel? Basically, you're lucky you didn't get hit into for real after that.

No offense intended, but maybe that guy was hitting a shot that was meant to end up precisely 30 yards short of the green. 30 yards is a 3-club difference and that's really not so hard to plan around. I've played with guys who did that when the course was slow. They'd lay up on purpose so they could walk up their shot and prepare for a pitch, rather than stand there in the landing area and wait for an opportunity to hit a full shot. They cost themselves strokes, but were doing their part to keep the group behind them happy. Those cards sound cute at first, but be honest. If you were honestly not trying to hit into the next group, then received that card, how would you feel? Basically, you're lucky you didn't get hit into for real after that.

I guarantee you that when I'm setting up a delicate chip, I don't want some douche dropping a bomb out of the sky within 30 yards of me.  It has less to do with getting hit into, than it has to do with an unneeded and unwarranted distraction.  At some point you have to take action or maybe next time they DO hit into you.  Sorry but if it's that close then it's too close.  They aren't going anywhere any faster by taking that chance.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Basically, you're lucky you didn't get hit into for real after that.

What? Douche card for you, man. Fourputt is quite right.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

I don't get this either... out where I am 80 degrees is pretty cool... When I played in high school, our coach wouldn't let us wear shorts until it hit 100...

Back on topic, slow play is frustrating, no doubt about it... it can take you out of your game mentally and make it so it isn't even fun anymore.  It would've been nice for them to let you play through but like you said, they were clueless.

The funny thing to me is that yesterday there was a thread about accidentally hitting into the group ahead (in part to avoid slow play) and today there is one complaining about slow play.  Seems like these threads alternate day to day.

Sounds like your high school coach is another idiot in a long line of moronic high school coaches. Some of these guys just don't get it.

Note: This thread is 4818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!