IGNORED

Is there a reason to learn how to hit a driver off the deck?

Note: This thread is 4794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jamo

You have to remember also that the sweet spot on a modern driver is very high in the face. I don't know if it's even possible for most people to hit the ball on the sweet spot squarely from a tight lie with a modern OTR driver, the faces are just usually too tall. What you are left with is a low ballflight with a lot of spin. It's a lot easier (and probably longer) to just hit a 3 wood.

For us, probably so, although there's the above comment about Bubba Watson hitting one this year and I saw Anthony Kim hit one into a 600 yard par 5 early last year or the year before, so there are apparently reasons to do it on occasion.  However, since we can probably count on our ears the number of times in the last 2-3 years that the pros have tried this shot, I think it's a safe bet that we don't really have any need to practice it.

But need isn't the only reason to try something.  I'll occasionally hit a couple balls off the deck at the range, but only if I've got a good clean patch of grass to set up on.  I don't want to slam my driver head into the ground.  My experience with my FT-iQ, which is not a small driver, is that it's not that hard to get a decent shot, but it'd take a lot of work to make it worth the trouble.  My time is better spent practicing my 3W and hybrid.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by zeg

But need isn't the only reason to try something.  I'll occasionally hit a couple balls off the deck at the range, but only if I've got a good clean patch of grass to set up on.  I don't want to slam my driver head into the ground.  My experience with my FT-iQ, which is not a small driver, is that it's not that hard to get a decent shot, but it'd take a lot of work to make it worth the trouble.  My time is better spent practicing my 3W and hybrid.

Oh definitely, of course. It can be fun especially if you find a slightly long cut of grass, so the ball is almost teed up. Though I suppose that is cheating...

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driver off the deck is a shot I like to watch Bubba hit, but don't think the rest of us need to "master".  I've done it maybe once or twice, and then only on par 5s in the last couple holes where I'm having a horrible day, don't care about my score, and am just messing around.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by Trader Will

I started playing golf recently, and every ball I hit is off the ground at the practice facility. I figure if I can hit well off the ground it should be np teed up. I haven't hit the 9.5 degree driver I have, and I'm wondering if there's any value in learning to hit the driver off the grass.

No beginner should even remotely consider learning to do something that not many pros can do consistently, let alone very good amateurs. I do not think it would be worth the effort for 99.999% of golfers.

• 4 weeks later...

I have hit a driver off the fairway or from the rough when I want to play a low fade shot around a tree.  Not easy to hit a driver off the deck, but it is a useful shot to have in your bag.

You will ocasionally see a pro hit a driver off the deck for added distance.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I was watching the Deutsche bank championship from last year this weekend. On the day that Hoffman won the reporters mention when talking about Hoffman that they watched him drive a number of balls of the deck that morning. Do some of the pro's do this when they practise or could this be a trick to shake of some error in his swing that mornig? To pull the shot off, would you move the ball closer to the middle i guess?

I'm surprised at you guys who say "never," or "don't bother because you're not good enough to do it."

I play a course that has a par 5 that calls for a long low curving to the right second shot approach, with trees overhanging right, that I use a driver off the deck often, because that's the only kind of shot I can hit with a driver off the deck.

I don't practice that shot, but it does come in handy at times.

You can hit a 3-wood low too. It's maybe 3-5º difference in loft, which can easily be changed with a setup change. A low punch 3 wood will also get lots of distance. It is a lower risk shot, which is why I recommend it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm not sure people were saying you shouldn't try it. They were talking about new golfers (I think).

My opinion is the shot you describe is the one time that shot is useful. But only if you have an older driver with a sole and COG designed for that shot (like a BB Warbird). If you want to mar the face on a newer driver (or break it), go for it!!

Originally Posted by Texian

I'm surprised at you guys who say "never," or "don't bother because you're not good enough to do it."

I play a course that has a par 5 that calls for a long low curving to the right second shot approach, with trees overhanging right, that I use a driver off the deck often, because that's the only kind of shot I can hit with a driver off the deck.

I don't practice that shot, but it does come in handy at times.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!