IGNORED

Let singles through please!!!!!

jcard71
Note: This thread is 3091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

There's no reason not to let a faster group of players, regardless of number, through unless the whole course is jammed and there's no way to go. If someone's a single and it's slow...you might as well invite them to join, even if you're a foursome. At least, for the single, they'll get to hit their shots in a more normal rhythym once each whole 'starts'.

I know that some folks, like me, aren't as irritated by waiting to hit tee shots as they are for approach shots. For a lot of people, once they hit their drive and the whole 'starts', they want to play in a normal to brisk manner.

Good points, but some courses simply will not allow a group of 5 to remain together.  My home course will allow fivesomes, but only under very specific conditions.  I'm thinking that if the group of 5 is keeping up with the traffic on a crowded course then those conditions might be overlooked in this situation.  I'm with you in that I really hate waiting more than a minute or so in the fairway.  I can practice chipping or whatever when we're waiting on the tee.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Good points, but some courses simply will not allow a group of 5 to remain together.  My home course will allow fivesomes, but only under very specific conditions.  I'm thinking that if the group of 5 is keeping up with the traffic on a crowded course then those conditions might be overlooked in this situation.  I'm with you in that I really hate waiting more than a minute or so in the fairway.  I can practice chipping or whatever when we're waiting on the tee.

If the course is jammed up...most places aren't going to mind it. Condensing groups, even if it ends up a fivesome, is better than having 2 seperate groupings stuck in the traffic jam. Some courses won't allow it under any circumstances. But USUALLY, those courses have their sh*t together enough to not run into traffic jam conditions; it is rather difficult to account for unrepentant idiocy, though.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Amen to that.  Nothing makes me crazy on the golf course more than when the group ahead sees Im a single and see that Im waiting on them and refuses to allow me to play through.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by walk18

Wow I see a lot of people here have "no sympathy" for singles. I don't think singles are looking for sympathy, they're just looking to play through. I mean would it really ruin your day to let a single through when the course is empty? Christ.

problem is at times you may 7 or 8 singles playing through

• Upvote 1
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Depends on the single golfer too.  Last year we let a single ahead of us on the first tee.  He was horrible, worse than I am.  I pick up after reaching double par, this guy was 5 & 6 putting.  Numerous times we had to help him find his ball just so to reduce our wait.  Thankfully he only played the front nine.

Joe Paradiso

I played alone today - first round of the year.  The course was nearly deserted, but there were enough players that I had to play through 3 groups on the front and one on the back nine.  They were all aware of my approach from the rear and each group immediately waved me through.  Very civilized.  I played 18 holes in just under 2 hours.

Rick

as like fourputt, I played today by myself cause the courses in socal where empty. I played through 3 groups and each one let me play through, even though I was walking.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

You know there are too many people out there who just act like complete D Bags on the golf course and I imagine that translates to their everyday lives too.  People, let the faster group through for heavens sake!  Why does it matter if it's a single or a foursome?  If they are clearly playing faster than you and there is an open hole ahead, then let them through!  This takes minimal time and effort on your part, not to mention it is polite and just a stand up thing to do.

I've seen too many pig headed, arrogant SOB's hold their place in front because of some sort of entitlement attitude or something it's just ridiculous.  I've been embarrassed to be paired with guys like that on several occasions.

The game becomes far too stressful when guys start jockeying for position.

And ladies I haven't mentioned you yet, but you are usually the worst offenders.  I don't know if it's due to ignorance or just indifference but chicks seem to be pretty bad about this too.

• Upvote 1

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

not only letting singles play through. but if there are 2 or more groups waiting on a par 3. wave up!!

On most par 3 holes this doesn't help anything.  It has been tested and analyzed, and except in particular cases, there is nothing gained in overall playing time.  Most often it just results in a longer wait on the next tee.

My home course used to have this policy until they did an actual experiment, timing groups during peak times over a three hole stretch which started with one of the par 3 holes where this was thought to help.

The result?  They actually came up with a shorter playing time for those three holes when the following group was NOT waved up.... only by an average of 45 seconds, but it showed that the policy was bogus.

Rick

Originally Posted by Fourputt

On most par 3 holes this doesn't help anything.  It has been tested and analyzed, and except in particular cases, there is nothing gained in overall playing time.  Most often it just results in a longer wait on the next tee.

My home course used to have this policy until they did an actual experiment, timing groups during peak times over a three hole stretch which started with one of the par 3 holes where this was thought to help.

The result?  They actually came up with a shorter playing time for those three holes when the following group was NOT waved up.... only by an average of 45 seconds, but it showed that the policy was bogus.

I'm surprised by that. if this is so, why would every golf course I have ever played on have always told me to wave up if 2 or more groups are waiting on the tee. I would say it does make a difference, even if a small one. but if you have scientific proof, hard to argue with that

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

I'm surprised by that. if this is so, why would every golf course I have ever played on have always told me to wave up if 2 or more groups are waiting on the tee. I would say it does make a difference, even if a small one. but if you have scientific proof, hard to argue with that

Even if it was faster to wave groups up, which it isn't, the annoyance factor makes it a bad idea. Whether you hit the green or miss it and have to chip on, there's a certain rhythm to playing a hole that's incosistent with stepping aside and waving the next group up. It's also annoying to have to hit up to a green where 4 or so people are standing just off the green glaring at you.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I won't argue that some courses still do it, but that doesn't make it an effective tactic.  It just means that they never bothered to crunch the numbers.  They are still buying into the myth.

Rick

I guess it doesn't really matter. Just sucks to have to wait sometimes 20 minutes to hit a ball. now that will take you out of rhythm

That sucks man, if there is space ahead ill always let single's play through, i feel less rushed therefor playing better. For all those who say singles should be auto paired with people i disagree, with how expensive golf is i should be able to play by myself if i wish, and alot of times i do, it allows me to relax and clear my head. If the group in front of me doesnt offer to let me play through im fine with it, im never in a rush when im golfing. ill normally just sit back, drink my beer and take a few tokes.

YES YES YES!  Most people don't go out to a restraunt by themselves, but if you did, they wouldn't make you sit with another family....

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

Originally Posted by ajschn06

YES YES YES!  Most people don't go out to a restraunt by themselves, but if you did, they wouldn't make you sit with another family....

No, but if it's busy, they probably wouldn't give the VIP room or the big booth in the corner either. Analogies are fun.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 3091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!