IGNORED

Let singles through please!!!!!

jcard71
Note: This thread is 3096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If you do it around these parts (play around without asking), you'd better be out of range when they get to the tee. Just sayin'.

I thought we were talking about the situation where they've already offered to let you through. If they haven't then I agree, going around without asking is not cool and you better not hold them up on the next hole. (Or any subsequent hole for that matter - which you'll probably do once you hit the next group, unless the rest of the course is wide open.)  I've called people on this when it's been done to me: http://thesandtrap.com/t/10102/etiquette-question-jumping-holes

Bill

Actually no it wasn't.  Etiquette is a two way street.  I think the single should never put the group ahead in the position of feeling they need to let someone through.  You can hang back and entertain yourself enough (fix some ball marks or something) to stay off their radar.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Playing around them is better etiquette than accepting an offer to play through?

This is a troll post, right?!?

Why is this even a big deal? Let 'em play through or ask them to join you....what happened to common courtesy? ...it's slightly insane that this thread is six pages and going strong...

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

I don't let singles play through.  They are welcome to go around me if nobody is in front.

So you are part of the problem. I just love coming up behind a group of 20 hdcp who won't let faster people through. If I'm allow to go out as a single, it usually means the course is not very busy. Put away whatever chip you have and get out of the way. No reason I should skip a hole because you don't believe in letting faster players through.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Under the handicap system in the U.S., yes they can.

Really.  Even if they play two balls at times?  How can you trust it? It's supposed to be a peer system isn't it?

There is also something called local rules that are sometimes posted at the course.  In our case, the posted rules state clearly that onesomes (singles) have the least rights of any group.  They have no implied right to play through any other group regardless of pace of play..  Of course, we still wave singles through unless the course is backed up -- it makes no sense to hold up a single if there are open holes ahead.  However, technically, at my home course, nothing trumps a foursone for playing rights so a foursome can and does expect to play through fivesomes or slow "other"-somes, and the marshalls assist us to do so.

RC

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Nope, the problem is that people expect that singles expect to want to play through and many of them then deliberately don't allow them to whether the course is open or not.

As a primarily solo player the only thing I'd like to see, but frequently don't is groups who have an open course ahead of them offering a solo to play through, e.g. you arrive at the next tee as they're finishing their tee shots and the hole ahead of them is completely clear.

To be frank, the handicap argument above is just an excuse to allow yourself to feel fine with blocking a solo. You've convinced yourself that because a solo can't enter a scorecard, e.g. for a  handicap he's only practicing and therefore he can wait. Effectively to you his game is less important even though he too has paid his green fees and is playing the game as he sees fit.

Solo is not more important than group.

Group is not more important than solo.

To be frank you are making assumptions that are incorrect. I have never blocked a solo because I can't stand to have them behind me pacing back and forth impatiently.  His game is no less important to me than it is to you. Paying green fees doesn't enter into the picture. Everyone pays green fees.

By the way. The U.S.G.A. rules state that a single is considered a "group".

Maybe it's your attitude that's the problem .  Don't make assumptions when you don't have a leg to stand on.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by camper6

Really.  Even if they play two balls at times?  How can you trust it? It's supposed to be a peer system isn't it?

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-05/

d. Scores Made under the Rules of Golf

Scores must be made in accordance with the principles of the Rules of Golf. (See Decisions 5-1d/1 and 5-1d/2 .)

So no, not if the guy plays two balls. You've just added that provision IIRC.

f. Unacceptable Scores

Scores made under the following conditions are not acceptable for handicap purposes and must not be entered in the player's scoring record :

(i) When fewer than seven holes are played;

(ii) When made on a golf course in an area in which an inactive season established by the authorized golf association is in effect;

(iii) When a majority of the holes are not played in accordance with the principles of the Rules of Golf (except for preferred lies );

(iv) When the length of the course is less than 3,000 yards for 18 holes (or less than 1,500 yards for 9 holes);

(v) When, as a condition of the competition, the maximum number of clubs allowed is less than 14, or types of clubs are limited as, for example, in a competition that allows only iron clubs;

(vi) When scores are made on a course with no USGA Course Rating or Slope Rating ;

(vii) When a player uses non-conforming clubs, non-conforming balls, or tees;

(viii) With respect to Rule 14-3 (Rules of Golf), when an artificial device or piece of unusual equipment is used during the execution of a stroke or when equipment is used in an unusual manner during the execution of a stroke. (See Decision 5-1f/2 for an exception.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, really. GHIN is the handicap system in the U.S. and by their rules you enter all rounds played. No, not if they play two balls - that's not under the rules of golf so would be considered a practice round and not entered in the system. It's peer reviewed by virtue of the fact you need to belong to a club to keep an official GHIN handicap, so scores do have some level of scrutiny. There are also other safeguards in place such as adjustments for exceptional tournament scores.

Let's not hijack this thread too much...

Bill

Our local courses don't do a good job if any of ever grouping singles in with other players even on busy days. This last Sunday I decided to get 9 holes in walking at a local course that was busy and the clubhouse made no attempt at pairing me with others. By the 2nd hole I already had a twosome behind me while I was waiting on a foursome in front. I ended up playing with the pair. I wouldn't have expected the foursome to let me through as they had players ahead of them too. Just makes common sense to do so if its busy. On the other hand if the course is half empty then I'd expect to at least be given the option of playing through even though I don't really like to. A couple weeks ago a group of 5 (yes 5, and I've seen the same group play with 6) let me play through and not being the best play ever I get a bit anxious about 5 guys watching me play while I'm trying not to hit them.

I skip holes with pride and without permission.

I'll often try and sneak in a round late in the day -- alone. I'll ask the starter how full the course is before teeing off. It is all 4-somes, I avoid playing and just hit the range. Often the course is dotted with groups from other singles to 2--somes and 4-somes. Clusters of players and open holes in between. I never ask to play through groups when I catch them, but often skip a hole. I do not ask for permission. I ask them if there is anyone ahead of them or if it is open ahead of them (this is more confirmation of what I'm already seeing than it is real fact gathering). If the answer is open, I politely tell them that I'm going to skip a hole or two and assure them that they will not see me again. When I finish, and as the course is emptying, if I wish I go back and play the holes I skipped. If I don't want to go back, I handicap them out so I can post the score.

If there is not plenty of free air in front, I hang back and enjoy the evening. If no one is behind me, I'll replay a hole. Sometimes several times trying new ways to play it. If the pace is too slow to be enjoyable, I'll quit.

When asked to join with a two-some in front of me, I often decline and tell them since we are not going anywhere, enjoy your time together and I'll just hang back out of your way. In particular if the group is a parent-child or husband-wife, I don't want to intrude.

When playing alone and the group behind me catches me, if they are three or less, I'll invite them to join me, or they can wait, or if they wish they can play through. If a group caught me as a single, we're not going anywhere fast and I don't want to mess up their game. No group has ever played through me when I've offered.

As a single, I do not expect to play fast unless I know the course is open. I expect to play at a 4-some pace if I'm playing behind a bunch of 4-somes. Letting people play through does not speed up the pace of play on a full course. It just moves a larger group back one group.

Quote:
No reason I should skip a hole because you don't believe in letting faster players through.

Reason #1. Letting you play through will slow up the group that lets you play through -- even if only by the amount of time it takes you to get through them-- say five minutes. Four guys will wait an extra five minutes to do you the favor of playing through.

Reason #2. If a group is keeping pace, they have what amounts to a right to that slot. If they wish to share it, it is up to them. They are more likely to offer to switch slots with someone who does not seem like they are entitled to the front slot. Playing through is a privilege and not an entitlement.

Reason #3. You don't need to skip a hole. You can just chill and play at the pace of the group in front of you.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

To be frank you are making assumptions that are incorrect. I have never blocked a solo because I can't stand to have them behind me pacing back and forth impatiently.  His game is no less important to me than it is to you. Paying green fees doesn't enter into the picture. Everyone pays green fees.

By the way. The U.S.G.A. rules state that a single is considered a "group".

Maybe it's your attitude that's the problem.  Don't make assumptions when you don't have a leg to stand on.

"You" as-in someone with the attitude you described. If that attitude is yours then I'm addressing you, if not I'm not.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

ok...this is prolly wrong to many, but if I have 4 ahead of me..and no one behind me.. I 'm like a kid at Christmas..I get to hit as many balls as I can hit, before moving on..yep, onlty the 1st one counts but the on-course practice is priceless to me. especially if I get to hit driver shots !!  whoo-hoo!!! I'll hit a doz if I can get 'em in...2nd shots on par 5s too.... I do understand the time aspect, but only to a degree... because somewhere,sometimes, especially in golf, we mustn't be ruled by the clock or time limitations( beyond cousre established playing times.)...it's there to enjoy and take total advantage of. I'll gladly offer to let a single thru if i'm playing 4 somes, but I LIKEW being the caboose.... fire for effect!!!

• Upvote 1

If I am only up to the 3rd or 4th tee box and see that the course is backed up and NO other groups are behind me I will stop scoring and make the rest of the round a practice round.  Hitting wedges at a pin or long irons is much better for my over all game than keeping score is at this point.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

AGREED! I get off work and jump on the course as a single to squeeze in a twilight eighteen, and get held up more often then not. etiquette, that's golf.  Letting me pass you isn't me telling you "you're garbage." Its telling you Im just trying to finish the god damn eighteen.  Easiest way to pass though is to just ask the group in front of you to play through. etiquette. They tell you to "**** off " then ride them. Most golfers play like shit when a stranger is watching them. Eventually you'll get through.

Note: This thread is 3096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!