iacas

Hitting Up or Down with the Driver in an Inline Pattern

329 posts / 74652 viewsLast Reply

1 minute ago, Nail said:

The bit in bold, Yes that’s what I thought so does that now mean you will be hitting the ball on the up because it’s now in front or ahead if you like of the low point of your swing??

Yea, I read it wrong. I do that sometimes.

If your low point is before the ball, you will have a positive AoA. Closing your stance after you set up to the ball will shift the ball position slightly forward in your stance.

It's hard to get into specifics beyond that because everyone's swing is different. Like you can set up properly and still hit down on the ball if you slide your torso forward in the swing or something.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

36 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea, I read it wrong. I do that sometimes.

If your low point is before the ball, you will have a positive AoA. Closing your stance after you set up to the ball will shift the ball position slightly forward in your stance.

It's hard to get into specifics beyond that because everyone's swing is different. Like you can set up properly and still hit down on the ball if you slide your torso forward in the swing or something.

So for my original question is your answer still the same?

3 minutes ago, Nail said:

So for my original question is your answer still the same?

Set the club and then build your stance around it. Set up with the ball in line with your lead toe or just outside your lead shoulder.

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Set the club and then build your stance around it. Set up with the ball in line with your lead toe or just outside your lead shoulder.

Thanks a million for the help Billchao

Virtually nobody has a perfectly straight plane line, so all of the talk here is kind of relative… relative to what you do now. You could, like many, hit down and still swing left if the baseline of your plane is well to the left. Or vice versa, like Rory: the baseline of his plane is well right, so swinging up helps reduce but doesn't eliminate it.