IGNORED

Hitting Up or Down with the Driver in an Inline Pattern

iacas
Note: This thread is 1470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Nail said:

The bit in bold, Yes that’s what I thought so does that now mean you will be hitting the ball on the up because it’s now in front or ahead if you like of the low point of your swing??

Yea, I read it wrong. I do that sometimes.

If your low point is before the ball, you will have a positive AoA. Closing your stance after you set up to the ball will shift the ball position slightly forward in your stance.

It's hard to get into specifics beyond that because everyone's swing is different. Like you can set up properly and still hit down on the ball if you slide your torso forward in the swing or something.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea, I read it wrong. I do that sometimes.

If your low point is before the ball, you will have a positive AoA. Closing your stance after you set up to the ball will shift the ball position slightly forward in your stance.

It's hard to get into specifics beyond that because everyone's swing is different. Like you can set up properly and still hit down on the ball if you slide your torso forward in the swing or something.

So for my original question is your answer still the same?

3 minutes ago, Nail said:

So for my original question is your answer still the same?

Set the club and then build your stance around it. Set up with the ball in line with your lead toe or just outside your lead shoulder.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Set the club and then build your stance around it. Set up with the ball in line with your lead toe or just outside your lead shoulder.

Thanks a million for the help Billchao

• Administrator

Virtually nobody has a perfectly straight plane line, so all of the talk here is kind of relative… relative to what you do now. You could, like many, hit down and still swing left if the baseline of your plane is well to the left. Or vice versa, like Rory: the baseline of his plane is well right, so swinging up helps reduce but doesn't eliminate it.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 10 months later...

So let's say the driver is going up at impact but travelling out to in with the forward tee, does that mean the ball should be teed up more on the heel of the driver as it would also be travelling slightly inward on the loop?

On 5/11/2019 at 5:42 PM, iacas said:

Or vice versa, like Rory: the baseline of his plane is well right, so swinging up helps reduce but doesn't eliminate it.

I know a guy that swings 4.5° up and 7.4° right 😜

2 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

So let's say the driver is going up at impact but travelling out to in with the forward tee, does that mean the ball should be teed up more on the heel of the driver as it would also be travelling slightly inward on the loop?

I don't think there's a set answer to this. Everyone's swing is slightly different, we play different shafts that load differently, etc.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

I generally have people put the driver off the toe, as when you lift it up in the air, the clubhead moves out away from you a little bit more than how it rests on the ground.

It's not like you address the ball by putting the driver in the middle of your stance with the ball way forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!