IGNORED

J. B. Holmes makes me mental

ohiolefty
Note: This thread is 4810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's hard to watch for sure.  I feel for his playing partners and the t.v. producers.  It's got to be hard to put him on live t.v. because when they cut to him b/c it looks like he's about to hit, then he backs off again, does his shuffle dance and then stalks up behind the ball only to pull back and do it all over again. Those t.v. producers know the routine of those players and know exactly when to cut to them so that when they are on t.v. we see them hit their shot not dance around. It has to be tough with him.   The WGC bush / desert drop was totally ridiculous.

My favourite players tend to be quick. I recall one of my all time favourites moving some TV cables himself, then while people were still deciding where to move the crowd, he hit his shot and moved on. That was during a major, which he won (1994 British Open).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

2 quickies I like...Johnson Wagner & Rickie Fowler.  Fast and fun to watch them being fast.  When Johson won at the Mayakoba last week it was amazing how fast he putted. Honestly amazing.

Originally Posted by saevel25

He knows that golf is played at any pace.

I'm not sure you'd find ANYONE that agrees with that.  A prudent pace of play is expected just about anywhere.  Paying your greens fees doesn't mean you've rented the course for the day; it only means you're entitled to your fair share of the course and the time to play it.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Originally Posted by sonicblue

I'm not sure you'd find ANYONE that agrees with that.  A prudent pace of play is expected just about anywhere.  Paying your greens fees doesn't mean you've rented the course for the day; it only means you're entitled to your fair share of the course and the time to play it.

could not agree more.  Pace of play is in the USGA rules of golf. Now if we could only get the PGA tour to issue strokes instead of fines for slow play, we'll be in business:

Pace of Play

Play at Good Pace and Keep Up

Players should play at a good pace. The Committee may establish pace of play guidelines that all players should follow.

It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through.

i would LOVE to see a group held up behind this slow ass clown jb holmes and ask to play thru.  that would be freaking hysterical.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Perhaps saevel meant his friend realizes not everyone plays as fast as he does. His acceptable pace range is between his pace and keeping up with the accepted course standard. Isn't that pretty much everyone's opinion?

Originally Posted by johnny2balls

could not agree more.  Pace of play is in the USGA rules of golf. Now if we could only get the PGA tour to issue strokes instead of fines for slow play, we'll be in business:

Pace of Play

Play at Good Pace and Keep Up

Players should play at a good pace. The Committee may establish pace of play guidelines that all players should follow.

It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by colin007

i would LOVE to see a group held up behind this slow ass clown jb holmes and ask to play thru.  that would be freaking hysterical.

Just out of interest, is he a slow-ass clown or a slow ass-clown? I can see it working either way, but I kinda like the Office Space echoes of the latter.

http://www.wavlist.com/movies/317/ofsp-grammys.wav

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I remember that 94 British Open.  I mean seriously, I watch a playing lessons with J.B playing with (I can't remember at this time) but anyway, he had less putts in that play round than he did in his final round in the last tourny. I understand that the greens most likely were more difficult to read in the tournament but really?!? I like the guy as a player, he has alot of talent.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Perhaps saevel meant his friend realizes not everyone plays as fast as he does. His acceptable pace range is between his pace and keeping up with the accepted course standard. Isn't that pretty much everyone's opinion?

That's my opinion.  I am fast.  No practice swings, read putts very quickly. No practice strokes. Know where to be and when to go there. Hit right when it's my turn. etc... But I realize most are not this fast and I'm totally cool with that.  There is what I call a normal pace of place or a good pace as the USGA says.  I'm a little faster than that.  Anything slower than normal or good on a consistant basis is no good.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Two areas were you can be slow, only one should have a complaint. Honestly, if i ever get paired up with someone who thinks i play slow, and voices there opinion, you bet i will slow it down more. I can play slow or faster, depends on how respectful someone is to me, judge me and your going to wait. Its the same reason i put my cruist control on when i am driving on the freeway when someone flies up on my ass and tails me, your going to be waiting a while buddy. Learn some repsect.

Learn some respect? Perhaps you could take your own advice. Slow play is disrespectful.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Originally Posted by Phil McGlenno

Learn some respect? Perhaps you could take your own advice. Slow play is disrespectful.

+1.

I think the point of this thread is that J.B. would likely play BETTER if he played a little FASTER.  His routine shows serious self-doubt and indecision.

Originally Posted by johnny2balls

2 quickies I like...Johnson Wagner & Rickie Fowler.  Fast and fun to watch them being fast.  When Johson won at the Mayakoba last week it was amazing how fast he putted. Honestly amazing.

Very true.

This post is a bit off point but perhaps interesting to some.  Back in the day (70's) in the U.K. there was a top-level snooker player called Hurricane Higgins.  I watched him on the TV a lot - my own game was not up to much by the way but I did play a fair bit.  Anyway he was called Hurricane H. because he was so blasted fast around the table, I mean just amazingly fast.  Yet he had marvellous cueball control and could clean the table from difficult positions, and do it in short order.  I never understood how he could do all the necessary thinking before each shot: which ball would be the next object ball, which pocket to go for, how much English to put on the cue ball, how much pace, what will be the next "leave" (i.e. position play), the likely "leave" after that., etc etc.  It is said that top level snooker players are trying to set up for the third shot, i.e. 2 shots after the one they're about to play.  And all this cogitation is done while factoring risk vs. reward calculations.  Higgins was definitely quick witted about the game.  When asked why he was so fast - after all, he could have played much more slowly and still been well within acceptable limits - he said that this was his natural pace and if he tried to slow up his game would probably suffer.

Compared to all of this I would say that deciding on a golf shot, though certainly it can be complex (esp. a double-breaking putt etc etc) is relatively straightforward.  The options are far fewer at any rate, but of course the execution is as difficult if not more difficult.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Stretch

Just out of interest, is he a slow-ass clown or a slow ass-clown? I can see it working either way, but I kinda like the Office Space echoes of the latter.

http://www.wavlist.com/movies/317/ofsp-grammys.wav

ha!  yes, i was thinking of Office Space, but i cant call him a no-talent ass-clown, so he is just a slow ass-clown.

Colin P.

In response to the slow-ass, slow-ass-clown debate.....

J.B. Holmes slow-ass play automatically makes him a slow-ass, ass-clown.

And, anyone who defends slow play is an ass-clown. Nobody's saying RUSH, but you need to play at a reasonable pace. What J.B. Holmes does would be unacceptable at your local muni, your local country club; and it is utterly unacceptable from a tour professional, regardless of what's on the line.

What a slow ass-clown.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Note: This thread is 4810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!